What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie Training

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
I'm just getting started in all this, and trying to make sure I have the skills to build a plane the way I want it to turn out. I'm an engineer, and I'm picky. I've taken the sportair sheet metal workshop, and I'm working on the Van's training kit. I watched the GBI rudder video. At this point I'm trying to decide how to proceed. I Feel like I'm pretty comfortable with the process that is required to build the tail section. I'm trying to decide if I should go to somewhere like Synergy Air and build my Empennage or save the money, order the kit and get started. That extra $1500 could help buy airplane parts. Just currious what everyone things. Past lessons learned.

Ray

Just being picky should be enough. If you are a ME then it would be a plus.

Just remember edge hole distances, scratches around edges can crack later in life and good deburring never hurt anyone.

Go for it

Not too long ago, I was at the same stage as you. I was advised to just go for it...I'm glad I did!

After the Sportair class and completing one or both of the practice kits, you should be ready to start. The instructions for the empennage are very well written, and, if you get stuck, the answer (or several answers:rolleyes:) can always be found by searching or asking here in the forums.

I'm just getting started in all this, and trying to make sure I have the skills to build a plane the way I want it to turn out. I'm an engineer, and I'm picky. I've taken the sportair sheet metal workshop, and I'm working on the Van's training kit. I watched the GBI rudder video. At this point I'm trying to decide how to proceed. I Feel like I'm pretty comfortable with the process that is required to build the tail section. I'm trying to decide if I should go to somewhere like Synergy Air and build my Empennage or save the money, order the kit and get started. That extra $1500 could help buy airplane parts. Just currious what everyone things. Past lessons learned.

Ray
Ok, I am not an engineer. So I am not going to be able to give you a whole lot of calculations for this or that, that would relate to how you should go about making this decision. However, my advice is this:

If you have the tools to get started then do so.
Get started on the construction that is.

If you don't have the tools to get started then do so.
Go buy the tools, then get started on the construction that is.

You being the engineer that you are, and being the picky engineer that you are, you may find yourself becoming paralyzed with how to proceed with decisions throughout this process (and, yes indeed, it is a process, or perhaps I should say, a whole series of many processes). Don't get caught in that trap. JUST GET STARTED!! The actual act of producing parts and components for your aircraft will drive you toward getting started on the next part or component.

If you are concerned about learning how to do some of the activities you will have to perform, then by all means, get some advice, training, assistance. However, don't let that activity drive whether you do or don't start any of the many projects you will have to complete in order to finish an airplane. Be picky but be reasonable. These RV designs have been well thought out, well designed, well pieced together (by Vans), well documented (by Vans), well supported (by Vans, by this forum and by all of us who have gone through this before you). Use this information to help you to keep going forward. Don't let your engineering training, ideas or attitude force second thoughts about whether or not you can or should analyze, redesign, re-engineer some part, component, procedure or process. Just get started building!

My advice is that if you are at all competent with hand tools then forgo paying a premium price to go somewhere and have them direct you. Just get started and before you know it you will be completing an empennage, ah the heck with those French words :rolleyes:, the tail. Then before you know it, you will have wings done. Then the fuselage, dang, again with the French. Then the panel, the engine, etc.

Everyone has heard the question:
How do you eat an elephant?
One bite at a time.

Well, I would say get busy eating!

Just go for it, sounds like you already have enough 'tools in the bag' to get started. I'm also an ME, but had no A/C building experience prior to tackling this. I did the sportair class (which I highly recommend, so thats a great first step) and then did the tool box on my own before starting the emp. You will go through a learning curve with the emp, but it is very manageable. Being able to read/interpret drawings will put you ahead of most people. You will probably just be a little slow until your skills improve, and expect to have to do some minor things over at the beginning if you are really picky. Good luck!

I too was a little scared to tackle building a plane. I just jumped in and looked at other peps build sites. now the emp is done and saving for the wing kit.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I didn't get anyone who reccomended doing the Synergy Air thing. So I guess I'm being too conservative on that idea. I'm not worried about being able to do any of the actual fabrication stuff. I just may not do it well enough for my expectations. I'm not crazy worried about this, I just want it to look really nice when I'm done. Sure I may make some mistakes, but I'm not worried about that either. I can tell already from the class and the training kit that I'm getting a feel for doing this work. I just need more time to feel comfortable.

By the way I'm a EE so that doesn't help in this part other than I am used to reading drawings.

One question I have is about how smooth or polished do the edges need to be? This is just a little detail but it seems really important.

look at the tail kit as another big practice kit. find someone to come inspect everything as you move along. If you mess up the VS or something, you can always redo them(cheaper than traveling to another class). by the time you finish the tail kit you'll be ready for the next 'big practice kit" it's call a wing.;)

One question I have is about how smooth or polished do the edges need to be? This is just a little detail but it seems really important.

Run the edge of your fingernail down the edge - if you feel it catching on any little burs or indentations, you should probably give it a little more work.

On the seminars and classes - that is completely up to you and your comfort level. You can easily gauge your skill with some scrap aluminum and a few rivets - put them together and see if you are satisfied with the results. Seminars and classes will help you learn the techniques and processes, but it will take much longer to become an artist. Practice, practice, practice....and don't get stalled on your project because of perfectionism. Very few Oshkosh "Lindy" winners are first-time builders.

Paul

Ray, don't overanalyze it. You engineer types all do that. :rolleyes: It's not the space shuttle, it's an airplane. There's really not much to engineer in the basic structure anyway. Just build it. As an EE, you'll have plenty of places to engineer the electrical system as you progress.

Once you've riveted the first 10 rivets, the remaining 15,000+ are all the same -- some are just harder to get to (and thus the importance of breaking the sharp edges!)

By the time you finish the empennage, you'll likely have a pretty good feeling about whether or not you want to continue. This site and any local RV builders will be your greatest assets in evaluating your interest and talent to continue to build the plane, IMO.

As was said, consider the empennage kit as just another skills kit. It's not THAT big an investment and will help you determine whether building a plane is indeed right for you. Good luck!

Thanks again guys.

I had pretty much come to the same conclusion that I was ready to start. I feel pretty confident at this point just trying to get my ducks in a row. I'll give you an update when I start the next "training project".

I was also thinking that the tail section was a good test for building the entire plane. I mean in relation to whether I want to continue after it. I agree it not a huge investment and even if I did decide not to proceed I could just chalk it up to a learning experience. I don't think that will happen though. I've worked enough on my training projects to realize I enjoy this type of work. Of course only time will tell.

Ray

My montra throughout the build of my 9A: "It's going to Oshkosh, not Mars."

Steve Johnson
RV9A - 7 hours on the Hobbs.

Sportair comment

Just came back from the Sportair sheetmetal class in ATL. The comment was made by the instructor a muti time builder that every rivet does not have to be perfect and that there are probably 20-30 % more rivets than necessary so a bad one just won't matter that much. Made me feel better!

Another data point

Ray -

For some reason I just ran across this thread and thought you might benefit from my experience. I'm building a -10, never built anything like it before, but I'm also an engineer (chemical) and am used to working on stuff , shoeing my own horses, working on my own cars, house etc. Not a wizard, but capable and fairly handy.

I opted to take the Synergy classes and consider it the most valuable thing I've done to date. I took the intro class, a modified tail class (I bought a partially completed kit, then spent 3 days with Wally working on it, not finishing it), then the QB class. The way I explain it to people is, I learned 1000 tricks and things that I'll never be old enough to learn myself. The biggest thing it gave me was the confidence to move forward. I've made great progress on the -10, essentially finished with the airframe (except fiberglass) and am getting ready to order my engine after about 14 months of work. All that considering I'd never done virtually everything required to build the airplane - metal work, fiberglass, painting...

Perhaps the biggest compliment to Wally and his training is the comment by the EAA tech advisor when he inspected my project the first time. He said he never would have guessed this is my first airplane. I guarantee you that he wouldn't have said that if I had "learned" on my empennage kit and "just gone for it." At least for me.

Wally is a great guy and he really knows his business. He's awfully humble and will not toot his own horn but he knows what he's doing. He will also be the first to tell you that a whole lot of stuff on the internet is questionable at best. No slam on VAF or others, but after learning from a pro, I've sure seen a lot of stuff online that I don't consider smart. Lot's of good stuff, too, though. The problem is knowing the difference - as a newbie.

Anyway, feel free to contact me if you want more info about Synergy. There are probably others that are good also, I just know about Wally's classes.

Last edited:
don't know how far along you are, but i've taken the one day class at synergy air. If you haven't done much on the emp i strongly recommend you go take his class.

Taking the Tail Building Class

I took the Alexander tail building class at Griffin Ga. It was a great introduction into building, priming, correcting mistakes, learning all the proper ways to rivet, triming, deburring etc. One interesting thing that happened, I remarked to a guy building along with me that I have never seen an RV. I had ordered my kit on feedback over the internet. He had a friend fly into Griffin's in his RV-8. All of us builders in the school marveled at the completed plane. It looked great to us. However, the guy who flew in, marveled at the quality of our tail's. Yes you can build a tail and learn how to do a quality product along the way. But people in the education business have a pet phrase. If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

Back