What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Add this grass strip to your resume

SMRacer

Well Known Member
Patron
Weather permitting, stop in next Saturday afternoon May 25 for a cold drink and some RV talk. Cedar Meadows Airpark is not on the sectional, but is a couple miles west of Summit Point, WV, just a few miles SE of Martinsburg, WV. RW 9/27 is on the south side of the railroad tracks and has (for identification purposes only) an intersecting N/S runway on the north side of the tracks. The turf runway is 3000 by 100 and reasonably smooth. We monitor 122.85 My new hanger is being constructed and should be occupied by my RV4 by the end of May. You can park by the white hangar on the west end of the runway.

Near Highview

If you departed Cedar Meadows on RW27, and made a left turnout after about 1/2 mile, you would be looking down the south runway at Highview. Check out Google Earth. Cedar Meadows is clearly visible (still a dirt strip at the time of the picture) and parallels the railroad tracks to the south.
RW 27 is slightly downhill, and has cedar trees on the approach end. Be very alert to the possibility of crossing traffic from the N/S runway on the north side of the tracks. Movements on these two runways are somewhat rare, but demand CTAF calls on departure, and a good scrutiny when approaching.

Looking forward to a great day with lots of airplanes.

Jim
RV-4 N444JT

Weather looks promising keep that fridge plugged in Jim. It's end of May is new hangar ready for christening? :D

"Drinks will be cold"

As with any project, delays creep in. However that will not prevent a fly-in, cold drinks, food, camping, bonfires, etc.
Weather looks like it could be perfect. Camp overnight if you wish (bring your own tent.)
My construction crew will be working on the project all day. Bar will be open at about five for those not flying or camping.

Jim

Coordinates

For those like me who love GPS, here are the general coordinates: N39 14.6' W77 59.5' . Summit Point Raceway is almost walking distance East of the field so for those using pilotage, you have a beautiful landmark. I plan on being there and will probably have some others tagging along with me from Dragon Flight.

Last edited:
SMracer, Saturday is starting to look like a bust, weather wise. High winds everywhere and rain in some areas. Sunday looks to be relative calm with some sun. Any thoughts on moving it to Sunday?

Happy Birthday to me

Not forecast to be within my weather minimums either. Anyone can still come in Saturday afternoon, I'll be there since it's also my birthday party. But I'll be there Sunday afternoon also. So we can move the fly-in to include BOTH Saturday and Sunday. Feel free to come on in and bring friends.
Jim

I think Sunday will be better. Tomorrow is looking to be very windy/gusty and that kind of freaks Lawbreaker out :D . There are a few of us that wanted to come out so how about we take you up on the Sunday offer and see you then. Jim, what time Sunday works best for you?

Happy Birthday Jim! Good grass!

I had a blast thanks for great food and good company. Let's make your BD an annual event at your uncharted spot!

After Mark gets his certificate drive him to Princeton we will go local.

Jim - thanks for hanging out the shingle! Nice field! Great conversation! Rejuvenating beverage!

Looking forward to visiting again!

I just saw this, an airport next to summit point. I'm officially jealous!! I stopped racing WERA to learn to fly, I'd live to come visit, not sure if my type is allowed :). The two wing flavor, do you know Trevor with the yellow maule?

We love visiting aircraft

Sure , stop by. I'm at the Airpark frequently, especially during weekends. Once my hangar is finished, any time the door is open the welcome mat is out. Plenty of parking and cold beverages.
When I vacate my spot in the other hangar on the airpark, I believe that space is being taken over by a Maule, but I'm not sure of the owner.

Last edited:
Hangar completed?

What's the status Jim? Recently I've met a helicopter instructor who owns an RV and knows your area. Told me some interesting things about your neighbors. Are you bringing your plane to Mid Atlantic Fly In at KDMW this weekend?

Moved in

Hanger is finished. I've got electricity, and a well drilled.
Hope to see you all this Saturday.
Jim

2nd Annual Fly-on

Last year we experienced 25 MPH winds both Sat and Sun. So let's try again this year. Come in Sat if you like, but we'll be serving food on Sun from about 12 noon to 3pm.

You can camp Sat night if you like. We have water, but the best we can offer is a porta-potty or the woods.

Go back to the first page of posts for information on location. The grass is good but not perfect. Neither tail or nose wheel airplanes should have a problem. Use soft field techniques for best results.

Jim
N444JT

The airport is easy to find using the clues in this thread. Use Foreflight Aerial View to find it based on the clues.

Then switch back to Sectional.

Happy Birthday Jim!

Another great event! From one visiting RV last year you had a dozen today.
There was an airshow, a static display, great food and much more. Formation masters and aerobatic jocks, smokers and low passers... RVs were coming and going. When I grow up I want to be like Jim. Very few people can have a birthday party like this. We will see you next year Jim, the same time and at the same spot get that parking grass in good order. Make a wider entrance for the Major...I will do a separate trip write up on this flyin.

Condor leading the Dragons.

Thanks Gary for "the Weed" it tastes great! It could turn any foreign airman into an American Fighter (Pilot) :D

Last edited:
The Major's incident was minor.

Thanks for having us Jim and letting me admire your "4". Major Jacks Rv6 faired very well, considering.:eek:

Our EAA chapter is having a fly-in cookout here at our field (WV22) on June 29th, starting at 10:30 am so consider this an invite for any of you guys that would like to come by.

It was a pleasure meeting everyone and thanks again.,

Back