What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

formation pics!

prkaye

Well Known Member
Well this was worth an "RV Grin". My hangar-mate Glenn is a former Royal Canadian Navy helicopter and jet pilot, who actually flew of the Canadian carrier Boneventure. He was actually good friends with the team leader for the Golden Centennaires. Glenn offered to fly formation off me and snap some photos
of C-FUNC from the air. As luck would have it, when we met at the airport we bumped into a chap who was doing some work at the airport and who also happens to be a professional photographer, and had his camera with him. He agreed to fly with Glenn and take the pictures, allowing Glenn to focus on flying
formation.
It was amazing, and some of the photos turned-out really well. I have to say, flying formation is really a thrill (granted, Glenn was doing all the work as I
was in the lead and just had keep things steady). It sure was cool look back over my left shoulder and seeing his aircraft only a few feet away. From a
distance watching him circle around to get into formation behind me, I was struck by how quickly the airplanes appear to be (and I guess are) moving with respect to each other.
Anyway, check-out these photos:

**Links temporarily removed for site maintenance**

Last edited:
Ahhh, the -9 makes for a great formation ship. I happen to know something about that. Don't listen to others that simply say otherwise. It sounds like you have the local hook to explore with.

Nice shots!

One of the things I miss, now that I have my own RV and have started flying formation, is taking photos. Now i'm too busy having fun flying to pull out a camera, and i'd never think of doing it in formation.

Oh, and it looks like your photographer needs to get his camera in for cleaning... His sensor has dust on it in a few places... :p

Back