What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

R-3 (R-cubed, Reno RV Rendezvous), 2010

Which evening is better for you for the R3 BBQ?

• Friday evening

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Saturday evening

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Either evening

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
For those of you who are considering attending the Reno Air Races and might end up at the BBQ, please let us know which evening (if either) you would prefer.

We'll take votes for a couple weeks and then make a decision and post it here.

Cheers,
greg

I got the right answer!

I win, I win!!!

Oh, only vote so far.:rolleyes:

Seriously now, due to a lot of folks having to work on Fridays, it would seem that a Sat event will be the choice of most..........at least it seems that way to me.

This is a great event folks, you will enjoy it.

I plan to be there, Saturday.

I gotta confirm the availability of my friend's hangar, but weather permitting, I will be there with a friend.

OOOH! My first RV-related get-together :D

Can the wife and I come?!?! RV not poised to fly for a LONG time. :(

Not only yes...but heck yes!! All are welcome! RV builders, RV flyers, gonna-be RV builders or flyers, wives, girlfriends (however, we take no responsibility for those that bring both :rolleyes:). Come one, come all!!

OOOH! My first RV-related get-together :D

That is very cool!

I got the right answer!

I win, I win!!!

Oh, only vote so far.:rolleyes:

Seriously now, due to a lot of folks having to work on Fridays, it would seem that a Sat event will be the choice of most..........at least it seems that way to me.

This is a great event folks, you will enjoy it.

Mike, being that you're the chairman of the board of R3 guests (as a 3-timer), I'll have to admit the poll is my doing. Greg has the lead here, Dan is the hangar host, and I'm the go-pher/line-boy!

As one of the three hosts, my conundrum is a high school reunion on Saturday nite. I'll fly down Sat midday and be back Sun am with my classmate from New Zealand (exchange student) in tow, so he can see the race finals. That being said, we all want to make this an event that the most folks can get to...absolutely the bottom line! If there are folks coming in just for the weekend, and we'll have better attendance on Saturday, then that's the day to make it happen. If Friday will be just as well attended, then perhaps we'll do it then. We'll see what the poll sez.

So to all: if you're coming to the race, or even considering it, please vote on when you think you'd be able to attend the Reno RV Rendezvous (R-Cubed).

Its gotten a bit bigger each year, so we all hope that if you're in town, you'll be able to join us! I've talked to a number of RVers that were at the races last year, but didn't know the BBQ was happening...so please spread the word!

Dan's hangar is on end of the row that faces the pits, right out by the runway, and if you've never sipped a cold one or eaten a burger or brat while talking RV's with your buddies and watching the sunset colors dance off a line of P-51s, Bearcats, T-6s, L-39s and other really cool airplanes just a few yards away...well you're in for a treat!! Please c'mon out!!

(PS: I'm not votin'...wanna know what's best for the guests!)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
A little sexism here, Bob?

Not only yes...but heck yes!! All are welcome! RV builders, RV flyers, gonna-be RV builders or flyers, wives, girlfriends (however, we take no responsibility for those that bring both :rolleyes:).

Can I bring my husband? And my boyfriend? :p

We hope to make it again this year. Either night would work for us.....if x-c flying weather cooperates.

Arrival/Departure Proceedures

Hi Greg,

For those of us who have never attended, is there a Notam that covers flying into and out of the airport during this weekend? I would assume the airport is closed during the actual racing?

Thanks,
Tom

A little sexism here, Bob?
Can I bring my husband? And my boyfriend? :p

We hope to make it again this year. Either night would work for us.....if x-c flying weather cooperates.

Whoops...yep, busted there, Louise! Humble apologies to you and the many great RV ladies out there...Mercedes (er, I mean Cougar) won't let that one get by either! Actually is was an "oversight"...in the quest for a quick punchline...yeah, yeah...that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :eek:

Now if anyone brings both husband and boyfriend, then I guess we'll have to provide the boxing ring! :p (I'm in Paul's corner though!)

Hope the weather cooperates for you and everyone! Here's a slightly modified copy of Greg's pic from above, showing where the pit gates are and where our hangars are (Greg, Dan and I).

r3map.jpg

Greg and Dan are beyond the "dead line", so we can't go there till after the racing stops each day. I'm beyond the pit gate, but will have the hangar open all week, and may park a trailer in front of it again this year. Trailer or not, I'd welcome any guests that want to stroll by and have a cold one or rest their tired feet and talk RV's in between races on any of the days.

Just 5 weeks away!! Woo Hoo! Hope many can make the BBQ, no matter what the day it happens on!!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Tom,

I'm sure there is (or will be) a Notam on all this. Typically the only time to arrive or depart is before racing begins or after it is over (i.e., early morning or evening). Everything is basically shut down during race time. The real problem is that there is no parking available on the field during that week - even the locals who are tied down on the ramp are moved out to the infield for the week (actually about 10 days, since the moving starts a few days ahead of the races). If you are flying in, I suggest starting now to find a tiedown spot at one of the nearby airports (RNO, N86, o02, TRK, CXP, A34, or SPZ). I'm available to a limited extent to help provide some shuttle service to and from other airports.

greg

Pit pass required?

I assume to come and visit during the day we would need a pit pass to access the hangar area?

My son and I are planning to stop by, but if it's evening, we'll miss our shuttle bus back into downtown. What are the chances of catching a ride back to town later in the evening?

Bevan

Bevan,

You can't visit our hangars (Dan or me) during the day because they're past the red line (if you could, you would need a pit pass).

I'm sure we can get you back to town in the evening after the event.

greg

Historically, the pit gates are opened up to general public as soon as the racers are recovered on the ground after the last race of the day, generally about 4:50pm or so.

Totally out of context... any of you Reno locals got a line on employment opportunites? Wife is in desperate need of a job before she burns the house down from boredom. 14%+ unemployment around here isn't helping the program.

Boredom? In Reno? Impossible!

Totally out of context... any of you Reno locals got a line on employment opportunites? Wife is in desperate need of a job before she burns the house down from boredom. 14%+ unemployment around here isn't helping the program.

I can't imagine. Tell her it's time to get another rating (or her PPL, if she's not a pilot). Sailplanes down the road to the South. Yosemite, eastern Sierra, Mono Lake, all with lots of free/cheap recreation like hiking, climbing, skiing, kayaking, etc., etc. I'm sure there are lots of volunteer opportunities of all types. You have to work REALLY hard to be bored in Reno. I've lived in some pretty boring places, but Reno certainly would never reach that standard!

Hi Greg,

For those of us who have never attended, is there a Notam that covers flying into and out of the airport during this weekend? I would assume the airport is closed during the actual racing?

Thanks,
Tom

As Greg mentioned, unless you are comig in by Wednesday (and have a hangar host or are willing to park your plane on taxiway C...in the middle of the field), it'd be a better bet to fly into Reno, Carson City, Minden or Truckee (that list in is order of proximity and ease of surface transpo). Flying in and out of Stead on Friday thru Sunday is a very early morning or evening thing, and there are no-prop-turn lines that make it a long pull to get to an OK-to-start area (unless you are near Greg and Dan's hangars). I've got to decide if I'm flying my RV to the HS reunion, and if I do, I'll move it to RNO before the weekend. Probably just take SWA if the loads are good.

If you do fly to Stead, there will be a temporary tower with specified procedures. As soon as we get our hands on one, we can post it. But its a pretty big PITA to fly here (Stead) that weekend.

I assume to come and visit during the day we would need a pit pass to access the hangar area?

My son and I are planning to stop by, but if it's evening, we'll miss our shuttle bus back into downtown. What are the chances of catching a ride back to town later in the evening?

Bevan

I'd recommend a pit pass to anyone anyway. Its well worth the cost to see the planes up close, from the Unlimiteds out on the ramp to the Formulas in the RARA hangar. Really worth it!!

That being said, if someone is stuck without a pit pass though, and wants to visit my hangar for a cold one, I can get ya there. Call me to hook up. Please PM me for the number...anytime between now and then.

My wife just went back to nursing school here...tired of being made to walk the plank by our two little pirates, I guess!!

Are you in Reno now? What kind of work is she looking for? Not a major hub of employers, and NV is still hurting too...but ya never know!

I can't imagine. Tell her it's time to get another rating (or her PPL, if she's not a pilot). Sailplanes down the road to the South. Yosemite, eastern Sierra, Mono Lake, all with lots of free/cheap recreation like hiking, climbing, skiing, kayaking, etc., etc. I'm sure there are lots of volunteer opportunities of all types. You have to work REALLY hard to be bored in Reno. I've lived in some pretty boring places, but Reno certainly would never reach that standard!

Can't find a way to argue with that one!! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:

We do a lot together on the weekends, but I work 12 hrs/day during the week and neither of us have been out here long enough to have a large cadre of friends to lean on. Plus she's itching to bring in more cash with her free time.

She into flying (with me) don't know how interested she is in learning to drive. Don't really have the money to sink into it right now if she was.

newbie to reno

Im thinking about attending reno this year but they offer many different seating/entrance options. Is visibility an issue? any advice regarding parking, seating, must see or must do would be greatly appreciated.

Louise and I were newbies last year - just bought General Admission and Pit Passes and wandered around for the day. When we wanted to sit, we didn't have trouble finding seats (Saturday), but mostly, we were in the pit area. Saw lots of hardware, met some people, saw some aerobatics - and oh yeah - even some racing! ;)

R3 BBQ was the highlight - lots of RV'ers!

Hey Greg, mised out on the vote but I was going to vote Sat. anyway. Count me + 1 in for the BBQ. Do you need anything for the party? this will be my first race, cant wait! Has anyone set up a pre party meet site in the pit yet. I would like to meet all the local RVers.

BBQ

ill be back for my r2 out of 3
had a blast last year met some really nice RVers
be leaving FL on the 16th see you there
bob

Back