What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source for RV-6A vertical tail VOR antenna

badmrb

I have an RV6a with a forward facing vor wip antenna mounted in the top of the tail. One of the wips had broke off before I got the plane last fall. I pulled the tail this weekend to get at the mounting block. Its a squarish moulded piece of plastic that fit perfectly inside the tail. Its a light colored plastic with no markings or number. I still have the antennas but havent been able to determine who made the base.

All I've been able to find online is the hocky puck style. I haven't found an antenna base that looks like this.

Any ideas?

Sorry I dont have a picture. I'll try to get the piece tomorrow and get a picture up.

Thanks

Steve

It sounds like...

...you have a dipole antenna, and they are usually of two types.

The first have a balun fabricated within the mounting base. This base is typically shaped like a small hockey puck with a BNC coax connector molded into the puck. see COMANT Industries CI-158C as an example.

The other type uses the same cat whisker rods (as above) as the antenna elements, but are attached to an insulated block base. The antenna feed line (wires) attach to the inboard ends of these antenna element rods. In this configuration, there should also be a balun, but it is typically fabricated from the coax feed line (should be located somewhere near the antenna, probably stuffed in the vertical fin somewhere). see MERIDEN ELECTRIC CORP, OD-2 Omni Antenna as an example). All of this "extra" cable looks excessive, but it is needed. Do Not cut it off!!

But back to the block. If the antenna is of the first type, you will probably need to buy a whole new antenna. If it is of the second type, you can fabricate a new block from UHMW or Bakelite material.

Removal of element or stub

A bit late, but just a note that these elements are threaded into the base AND have a set screw.

Back