What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Magnetometer Calibration?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
When you set the aircraft on the cardinal points of the compass to run the self calibration routine does the D100 align it's N/S/E/W axes exactly with the way the unit and aircraft is aligned in each direction or does it just use the positioning to get as close as possible and therefore help it to better find and align itself with the earth's magnetic field?

I guess what I am asking is how close is close enough when you set up for calibration - and also why?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Phase 1

...I guess what I am asking is how close is close enough when you set up for calibration - and also why?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Phase 1
I can't think of a reason to not align the aircraft within a degree. It is really easy if you have a GPS.

Taxi and turn until the GPS shows the steady track you want then stop on that heading. I have used an external compass and sighting methods, in the past, but I am pretty sure using a GPS set to magnetic directions is more accurate.

Last edited:
I can't think of a reason to not align the aircraft within a degree. It is really easy if you have a GPS.

Taxi and turn until the GPS shows the steady track you want then stop on that heading. I have used an external compass and sighting methods, in the past, but I am pretty sure using a GPS set to magnetic directions is more accurate.

Doesn't GPS give you True, not Magnetic heading? If so, you would have to apply the Mag variation to determine the correct GPS course.

That is still a nice tip, since you don't need a compass rose on an airfield to make it work.

Too, be sure the pavement is level when you do it.

Other considerations

While a GPS will display your mag course, it doesn't take into account local magnetic issues. For an absurd example: Suppose you taxi and get your GPS mag course just right, then happen to stop on top of a steel drain gate that is magnetized. Your mag sensor would be way off.

An official compass rose should have been built making sure there are no local magnetic anomalies to throw off your compass calibration.

The real question was does the system just need to be close to find and calibrate North on its own or does it rigidly assign the actual direction that it is pointing in when set up for calibration. In the latter case it should be aligned bang-on. If the former case how close is close enough?

Jim Sharkey

Just re-read the instructions which say "align facing North as close as possible" etc which leads me to believe that the unit finds North itself if it starts of close to it. It doesn't set North in the exact direction that the aircraft is facing so it's not like calibrating a whisky compass.

Jim Sharkey

Just re-read the instructions which say "align facing North as close as possible"...
The instructions seem pretty clear to me "as close as possible." Probably only Dynon can say how it works, but from aligning them in a couple of configurations I have no sense that you just need to get close and then it snaps in. I have tried section lines and compass roses and sightings with compasses. The more precise methods seemed to give the better results.

I have very good results by using the GPS method I mentioned. Previously, using less precise methods I didn't have as good results.

"As close as possible."

GPS track format

In GPS 296 setup page section, select auto mag var or user/manual mag var, then gives magnetic track. Otherwise can also select True or Grid.

The instructions seem pretty clear to me "as close as possible." Probably only Dynon can say how it works, but from aligning them in a couple of configurations I have no sense that you just need to get close and then it snaps in. I have tried section lines and compass roses and sightings with compasses. The more precise methods seemed to give the better results.

I have very good results by using the GPS method I mentioned. Previously, using less precise methods I didn't have as good results.

"As close as possible."

Let my try and give a general answer that applies (as far as I know) to about all magneto-restitive compass solutions.

There are two major kinds of calibrating a compass and these can be used combined as well (which is what we are doing).

a) Swing the compass through 360 degrees in a special measurement mode. This simple takes measurements of the X and Y axis sensors as it goes and takes note of the highest readings for each sign. Once done it uses this to "shift" the readings so they would be the same for both signes. You can picture the effect of the readings resulting in an oval or otherwise distorted circle (due to effects of both sensor inaccuracies and external effects). External magnetic "corruption" results in concentration and thus strengthening of the field the sensor sees.
The overall result of this calibration is to center the distorted circle which improves matters. However, while early on this is what we did (as this is what the manufacturers of the chips suggest (Honeywell)) we found that this was idealistic and not very useful in a real aircraft where you could have lots of different effects on the magnetic field all at the same time. You might find that you could fix an error of say 10 degrees to become 5 degrees, sometimes making other headings that where not so bad, worse at the same time.

b) The other method we then tried was to align the compass to a known magnetic heading and simply tell it what the heading is. Once the compass knows its error (for that heading) it can simply subtract the error. Do this for a number of known headings (N,E,S and W are quite sufficient) and then let the compass interpolate the four known heading errors over the full circle.
MUCH better.

So, to answer the question - the compass does not know where north (or any other heading) is so you must point it there as accurately as you can and then tell it. A cheap hiking compass (preferably with lubber line) is a good reference. GPS can be as well provided it can work out magnetic heading (for this it needs to know the exact magnetic variation at your location and this changes over time. Some GPS receivers (like ours) can do this by actually containing a model of the Earth magnetic field in detail and know it changes over time for each location).

One golden rule: Ensure that you have choosen the best possible location in your aircraft for the compass before you start calibrating. Try and find a location that shows only a small error (if you can get to less than 10 or even 5 degrees that would be great). If the compass is too close to a disturbing piece of metal (magnetised or not) it may concentrate the field too much leading to saturating the sensors at the affected headings (then no amount of calibration can do anything). The idea is to reduce the need for calibration to an absolute minimum. This automatically results in the best possible performance after calibration.

Lastly, just as a side note: If your aircraft is parked in the same location, in the same orientation all the time, some of its hard-iron metals will slowly be magnetised by the Earths magnetic field and this can result in your compass starting to show an error. You may need to recalibrate once in a while (or park your toy in different orientations after each flight if possible).

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

Rainier
CEO MGL AVionics

I used the GPSMAP 496 to align with N/E/S/W and then run the D100 calibration routine. It seemed to lock on and align very quickly but I still have to fly and see how well it lines up with the compass and GPS in flight. I was tempted but discretion being the better part of valor I left it for another time due to the humongous CB all around the airfield this evening not to mention screeching National Weather Service warnings on the car radio on the way to the airport.

Jim Sharkey

...I still have to fly and see how well it lines up with the compass and GPS in flight...
Of course it should not line up with the GPS in flight, unless there is absolutely no wind. As to how well it lines up with the compass, that depends on how well the compass is compensated. It will probably be better than the compass.

Of course it should not line up with the GPS in flight, unless there is absolutely no wind. As to how well it lines up with the compass, that depends on how well the compass is compensated. It will probably be better than the compass.

You bring up a good point - how does a GPS determine which way it is pointing? Does it need motion to generate a "vector"? If so how can you just swing it on the ground and it still know where it is pointing with any certainty?

Jim Sharkey

YES!

The GPS must be moving to obtain a vector. It does not know which way it is pointing. It only knows which way it is moving.

When you set the aircraft on the cardinal points of the compass to run the self calibration routine does the D100 align it's N/S/E/W axes exactly with the way the unit and aircraft is aligned in each direction or does it just use the positioning to get as close as possible and therefore help it to better find and align itself with the earth's magnetic field?

Your Dynon EDC-D10A does get a base calibration here at the factory, so out of the box, in a perfectly clean magnetic environment (which no airplane has), you wouldn't need to do any calibration.

And when you do the N/S/E/W-based calibration, the routine is essentially compensating for local aircaft-induced anomalies in the magnetic field.

The routine doesn't inherently know where each direction is, though, and is trusting that your placement of the aircraft is correct. In other words, you do want to be as close to exactly correct as possible. If you're off by a few degrees, you'll end up with magnetic heading reading that suffers by at least that much. We aren't saying "as close as possible" to imply that there is a self-direction-finding function going on. We really mean that you should get as close to possible, without giving a hard spec (which causes confusion as people endeavor to meet said spec). If you calibrate and aren't happy with the results, it's easy enough to simply try again, in a different location, using different aligning techniques (many of which have been discussed here, and are all basically valid). Remember to set the inclination (which isn't variation) and intensity per the instructions before doing the calibration, too.

Your Dynon EDC-D10A does get a base calibration here at the factory, so out of the box, in a perfectly clean magnetic environment (which no airplane has), you wouldn't need to do any calibration.

And when you do the N/S/E/W-based calibration, the routine is essentially compensating for local aircaft-induced anomalies in the magnetic field.

The routine doesn't inherently know where each direction is, though, and is trusting that your placement of the aircraft is correct. In other words, you do want to be as close to exactly correct as possible. If you're off by a few degrees, you'll end up with magnetic heading reading that suffers by at least that much. We aren't saying "as close as possible" to imply that there is a self-direction-finding function going on. We really mean that you should get as close to possible, without giving a hard spec (which causes confusion as people endeavor to meet said spec). If you calibrate and aren't happy with the results, it's easy enough to simply try again, in a different location, using different aligning techniques (many of which have been discussed here, and are all basically valid). Remember to set the inclination (which isn't variation) and intensity per the instructions before doing the calibration, too.

Once again many thanks - it's always good to get information from the "horse's mouth".

Jim Sharkey

I still can't find the answer to THIS question:

How do I slowly and SMOOTHLY rotate my RV-7 (supposedly with the tail UP and with the engine running) through 540 degrees while in the compass rose?

Thanks for any ideas!

Jim

Jim, the way I calibrated my -10....

....was to taxi on the "North" line, straddling it with my legs for about 20 feet so I was really very closely aligned. I then pushed the button on the Dyno and waited 'til it said to check the next direction and then taxied around to that line and repeated a nice long, aligned taxi and pushed the button and so on. The engine and all the radios were running as well, so all magnetic fields were present. I don't believe that your -7 has to have the tail up while you're doing this. You might need a cushion to see over the nose and align your airplane.

Best,

If you have the remote magnetometer, then you only need to take data at the 4 cardinal points, with no smooth motion between. If you don't have the EDC, well, then we do need the turn on the ground and that's left as an exercise for the student ;)

Dynon Calibration issues

I've gone through the entire alignment and calibration process three times now, including setting the inclination and intensity per the Dynon manual. I have carefully taxied onto the compass rose at the airport for alignment with the four compass points. I have had a helper stand outside and guide me onto the compass rose.

I still do not have a good calibration!

My North and South calibration are right on the money, but my East and West are about 15 degrees off! Even when I'm lined up on the East or West direction and press the calibration button on the Dynon, it continues to indicate 15 degrees off of the cardinal point.

I've done the calibration exactly by the book. I do all four compass points each time, but can't get my East and West to line up.

For background, my remote compass is located on the bulkhead just forward of the vertical stab. I think that area is relatively tame as far as magnetic fields are concerned.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Back