What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

200 hp/RV-6

lernez

To anyone,
Sorry if I'm repeating questions asked previously, but I've checked lots of threads/FAQ and cannot find info.
Please tell me why Van doesn't recommend a 200 HP engine in the RV-6. I know in the -7 it's OK. I see lots of listings for 200 HP -6's.
Thanks in advance. I'm brand new to the website. It looks GREAT!
lernez

Yah Vans has a couple reason why. I know they made the rv-7 bit longer, not sure if that is to help with the w/b. but since the 200hp is heavier you'll have to be careful making sure it's not to nose heavy.

The 6 cowling is a little to skinny, so you need to do work on it to make it fit or get the 7 cowl.

And the 6a engine mount conflicts with the sump on that engine. So again you would have to use the 7a engine mount. Not sure if the 6 engine mount conflicts.

All of this is assuming you are talking about the IO-360 200hp angle valve. and not a parallel value with high compression pistons. I think the weight and size is fine for RV-6?

Christopher.

It can be done and it has been done...but it makes the RV6 fly a bit more piggy. It's such a sweet bird without all that weight on the nose, put that big engine on the front of a -6 and it just isn't the same. Very little reward or benefit to doing it, along with logistical issues as well.

For most of the RV's, the sweet spot is a well tuned parallel valve 360. Of course there are those who beg to differ, but if you get much time behind many RV's, you'll find the lighter nosed planes just are more of a joy to fly all the way around.

My 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

My friend has one for sale

....with 220+ HP, near Augusta, Ga. His late friend owned it but succumbed to cancer.

Regards,

EDIT: It is sold.

Last edited:
A friend has an RV-6A with an O-360 complete with high compression pistons and electronic ignition. When his rudder started to crack he called Van's. Their reply was that this was a common problem on RV-6's with the big engine. (Yes, he has the thin skins on his tail as his -6 is an older kit.) Yes, Van?s referred to his O-360 as a ?big? engine.

rudder crack?

Why would an O-360 make the RV-6 rudder crack? It's the recommended engine unless you're talking about the heavier 200hp version.

I would think such an outcome would go more to build and/or how flown.

Also remember that putting anything thicker on the tail will bring the empty CG more aft, unless more weight on the front, and then before long you'll have a single place RV-6 if full of fuel.

It can be done and it has been done...but it makes the RV6 fly a bit more piggy. It's such a sweet bird without all that weight on the nose, put that big engine on the front of a -6 and it just isn't the same. Very little reward or benefit to doing it, along with logistical issues as well.

For most of the RV's, the sweet spot is a well tuned parallel valve 360. Of course there are those who beg to differ, but if you get much time behind many RV's, you'll find the lighter nosed planes just are more of a joy to fly all the way around.

My 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

Yes, to all of the above! :)

I had to carry 8 pounds of lead at the HS to balance the H6 up front plus an extra 16 pound battery and cable for the electric stuff. It all adds up weight wise.

The only down side is 900-1000' take off distance with the fixed pitch prop vrs a MT electric constant speed. After that it is all sweet. The airplane flies much better having lost 180 pounds total.

For sure same is true of the -6 0320 FP vrs the angle valve IO360 beast and its 55 pound cs prop.

Thanks

To All Who Replied,
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question regarding the 200 hp RV-6. I appreciate the answers and advice.
lernez

Back