What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Floor mounted pedals - need to change?

UKFlyboy

Hi

I recently took over an early RV6 project, which has floor mounted rudder pedals. I notice that most RV6's have hanging pedals, and wondered if there is any particular advantage to them.

The pedals are mounted, the brake cylinders look good and there doesn't seem to be any problem.

Does anybody have experience of both types and can comment on this? Actually any knowledgeable opinion is most welcome.

Thanks

6A Floor

Mine on floor wish they were hung. If you are over 5?10? the extra stretching room is welcomed in cross country flights. Easier during build to change vs an upgrade later. Lots of work on your head.

Mine on floor wish they were hung. If you are over 5?10? the extra stretching room is welcomed in cross country flights. Easier during build to change vs an upgrade later. Lots of work on your head.
Butch

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm only 5' 5" so not an issue for me, but I'm likely to sell at least a share and they could be much taller.

So the point is that the floor mounted are not adjustable? I'm at a point that changing the pedals would be quite easy now.

Tony

Change

Change them to hanging if you?re at the stage where it?s easy. Much better. Leg room and ergonomics.

I agree. If you are at a stage where you can change them relatively easy, PLEASE do so!

If you have any doubts, have someone push the brakes while you watch the floor skin from underneath and watch what happens to the belly skin.

I've seen numerous airplanes where this has caused "smoking" rivets.

If you have brakes for your passenger side floor mounts and pedals I would love to get them if you upgrade.

Failure of the welds

A friend of mine broke a weld on one while airborne. Fortunately he had a passenger with some tail wheel experience who landed the plane. If they have the gussets on them you'll be OK. My friend had an early 6 with no gussets.

Steve

All

Thank you for your valuable contributions, I did wonder why they changed to hanging pedals within a few years of offering the kit.

I have previously rebuilt an Aeronca Chief from the ground up, but very little experience with alloy kit planes. I'm going to change the pedals while I can.

Tony

A friend of mine broke a weld on one while airborne. Fortunately he had a passenger with some tail wheel experience who landed the plane. If they have the gussets on them you'll be OK. My friend had an early 6 with no gussets.

Steve

In case anyone reading this thread isn't aware, there are old (20+ years ago) Service Bulletins issued for the floor mounted and overhead style rudder pedals.

The SB's prescribe inspection intervals and modifications to ad reinforcement gussets.

RV-6 service information can be found at
https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/?aircraft=rv-6&doctype=all

I have removed the floor mounted pedals and they are now for sale.

New and unused, brakes on pilots side only, with the double gusset mod already present.

Extra reservoir for each master cylinder included.

Let me know if you aere interested.

Back