What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL N16 PIREP

agirard7a

Well Known Member
Hello. Can anyone out there give some feedback on the new
MGL N16 nav radio? Thinking of combining this radio with the Garmin GPS 175
To be able to train IFR in my 9.

have not installed the n16, but i do have the v16 installed with my skyview and it works great!

Functionality looks good but check that it will interface with your EFIS. it won?t drive a conventional display and the display on the control head is tiny.

I?m planning on installing the N-16 in my -7 build. I have the GTN 625 along with duel G3X Touch and a G5 and I?d also like to incorporate an actual Nav radio.

I?m sure you?ve read up on it but the N-16 along with the Vega or Razor control head will ?emulate? SL-30 protocol via RS-232. According to MGL once the initial setup has been completed, the control head can actually be mounted remotely and the N-16 can then be controlled via the G3x. I?m out of room on my panel so I?m planning on mounting the Vega remotely.

Mark

again, i don't know about the n16 but the sl-30 protocol works perfect with my skyview. the skyview pushes the freq to the V16 as advertised.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Grt

I’m using a GRT sport Sx Efis. They use the sl30 protocol for the Val Nav with sucesss so I am hoping it will also work with this radio for VOR/LOC/ILS feed to the HSI and needles on the PFD.

I like the small 2 1/4 control head of the Vega. Combined with the Garmin GPS 175 should be winner for ILS/GPS approaches.

Last edited:
I?m using a GRT sport Sx Efis. They use the sl30 protocol for the Val Nav with sucesss so I am hoping it will also work with this radio for VOR/LOC/ILS feed to the HSI and needles on the PFD.

I like the small 2 1/4 control head of the Vega. Combined with the Garmin GPS 175 should be winner for ILS/GPS approaches.

there should be no problem, but the real answer could be it hasn't been done yet. when i asked about the sl30 protocol and the skyview MGL told me that it should work fine but nobody had done it yet so they could not say with 100% certainty. so i was really the trial monkey for the V16 with a skyview. it works as it should so i would expect the nav side to work just fine also.

i really like the vega head, bright display and good feel to the knobs.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Back