What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slow Speed Banking Limits

lr172

Well Known Member
I am still in Phase I and still learning the flight envelope of my 6A. The other day I was talking with someone about avoidance maneuvering in the pattern. It got me wondering what my limits are here. During transition training I was taught to keep turns under 30* bank, but wondering how much further I can go.

I have been making my approaches at 85 MPH and often slowing to 75 MPH on short final. Does anyone have a good idea how much bank can be accommodated before stall at 85 MPH. Is 45* still safe? I know that someday I will be cut off in the pattern and would like to understand how aggressively I can react.

I appreciate any guidance from those more knowledgeable.

Larry

Bank angle is but one element in a series of elements that determine when a problem is lurking. Remember you can have a very high bank angle and be well below stall speed and still be flying.
These types of feels and learning of your plane are exactly what your phase 1 is all about. Get up some altitude and get some practice in and see just what it will do. Try some bank, some coordinated, some not, some G, some not, some speed, some not. Feel your plane, feel your wing. Get your wing to depart and recover. You will learn a lot.
If your uncomfortable with these items, go fly in another plane with a pilot who is and get comfortable.
Have fun in the process. Be safe, creep up on it.

I don't have numbers for you, but seems like it would be good to actually test this at altitude. Also, do you have AoA on-board? That will tell you how much lift you have in reserve at any given point in time, in pretty much any attitude and speed.

I am still in Phase I and still learning the flight envelope of my 6A. The other day I was talking with someone about avoidance maneuvering in the pattern. It got me wondering what my limits are here. During transition training I was taught to keep turns under 30* bank, but wondering how much further I can go.

I have been making my approaches at 85 MPH and often slowing to 75 MPH on short final. Does anyone have a good idea how much bank can be accommodated before stall at 85 MPH. Is 45* still safe? I know that someday I will be cut off in the pattern and would like to understand how aggressively I can react.

Larry

Two things to keep in mind.

1. Aerobatic bank limits (just so you are not in violation)
2. Stall speed going UP as to square root of G loading (as I recall). For example a 60 degree bank with level turn is 2 G's. Square root is 1.414. So add 40% to you stall speed!!!!!

You may want to avoid such in the pattern until you have really good feel for the plane. Just sayin'.

James

It really depends on several factors, the most critical of which is your willingness to give up your glide path. If you are forced to maintain say, a 3 degree descent profile and are not going to add power, then you will exceed the critical AoA a bunch sooner than if you have the room to dump the nose and/or add power.

As an extreme example, it is possible to roll up to 90 degrees of bank without exceeding the critical AoA IF you have the room to dump the nose and then recover after the maneuver. This won't work if you are sticking with an "FAA approved" glide path, however.

That said, the 30 degree standard bank is fine as a starting point, but it has been my experience that the airplane will tolerate more aggressive handling than that. I would strongly suggest you go up with an instructor or an aerobatic experienced RV guy, get several mistakes high, and fly a practice pattern. See what works and what doesn't. If you get a good sense of what the limit feels and looks like, then you will know to stay away from that edge in the pattern when that guy cuts you off.

You will never be able to do all the calcs in your head, or remember a chart or anything like that. The key is to practice stalls, straight and turning, slow and dynamic entries, and learn how your airplane behaves. It will talk to you and tell you when you are close. YOu have to learn how to listen, and how to recover. Same goes for spin entries. You don't have to practice fulling developed spins, but just practice recovering from the entry to minimize altitude and recognize the behavior so that it becomes instinctive. If recognition and recovery is instinctive, that is your best chance. Memorizing numbers won't help you in an emergency - your brain will shrink too much and whatever is programed way back in the recesses of your mind will take over. For too many pilots that has meant yanking the stick back, with predictable results. For guys that do aerobatics a lot, or at least practice the basics, the reaction is very different and they have the best chance of living to fly another day.

You will never be able to do all the calcs in your head, or remember a chart or anything like that. The key is to practice stalls, straight and turning, slow and dynamic entries, and learn how your airplane behaves. It will talk to you and tell you when you are close. YOu have to learn how to listen, and how to recover. Same goes for spin entries. You don't have to practice fulling developed spins, but just practice recovering from the entry to minimize altitude and recognize the behavior so that it becomes instinctive. If recognition and recovery is instinctive, that is your best chance. Memorizing numbers won't help you in an emergency - your brain will shrink too much and whatever is programed way back in the recesses of your mind will take over. For too many pilots that has meant yanking the stick back, with predictable results. For guys that do aerobatics a lot, or at least practice the basics, the reaction is very different and they have the best chance of living to fly another day.

In case there was some confusion on the meaning of my post with numbers ...

The MAIN point was as others have said .. go up at altitude and get the FEEL of your plane.

The numbers were mentioned as an **on the ground** reality check to say that if you DON"T have the feel already, things can go bad rather quickly when exceeding certain areas really close to the ground.

James

Two things to keep in mind.

1. Aerobatic bank limits (just so you are not in violation)

Hi James - just wanted to clarify that the FAA's definition of aerobatic flight does not include limitations on bank angle or pitch attitude. The FAA only mentions this in defining when chutes must be worn by all occupants (N/A when solo) - when bank angle exceeds 60 degrees, and pitch attitude exceeds +/-30 degrees.

Larry, the question you are asking is something that pilots typically gain experience with in basic PPL training via accelerated stall work. As already mentioned, this is among the many things that should be done in Phase I. And remember, you can stall at any bank angle if you pull too hard. The standard stall G load/airspeed/bank angle relationships only apply to LEVEL maneuvering. It's not a matter of being "safe" below a certain bank angle. Get a feel for the airplane and get spin training even. Practice at altitude. It's not about bank angle, it's about energy management.

Hi James - just wanted to clarify that the FAA's definition of aerobatic flight does not include limitations on bank angle or pitch attitude. The FAA only mentions this in defining when chutes must be worn by all occupants (N/A when solo) - when bank angle exceeds 60 degrees, and pitch attitude exceeds +/-30 degrees.

Larry, the question you are asking is something that pilots typically gain experience with in basic PPL training via accelerated stall work. As already mentioned, this is among the many things that should be done in Phase I. And remember, you can stall at any bank angle if you pull too hard. The standard stall G load/airspeed/bank angle relationships only apply to LEVEL maneuvering. It's not a matter of being "safe" below a certain bank angle. Get a feel for the airplane and get spin training even. Practice at altitude. It's not about bank angle, it's about energy management.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct! I stand corrected.

The original poster mentioned Phase I, which for the most part is SOLO, assuming the new 2nd pilot during Phase I option is not in play.

So again, no matter what, go practice at altitude and get to know your plane is the common message.

I will answer in another way... with a question.

Do you have a good understanding of accelerated stalls and what actually causes them?

Make your approaches at 80MPH.. if you make steep-ish turns, don't hold any back pressure on the stick and try to keep it level.. keep the nose going downhill to maintain speed.

Bank angle is but one element in a series of elements that determine when a problem is lurking. Remember you can have a very high bank angle and be well below stall speed and still be flying.
These types of feels and learning of your plane are exactly what your phase 1 is all about. Get up some altitude and get some practice in and see just what it will do. Try some bank, some coordinated, some not, some G, some not, some speed, some not. Feel your plane, feel your wing. Get your wing to depart and recover. You will learn a lot.
If your uncomfortable with these items, go fly in another plane with a pilot who is and get comfortable.
Have fun in the process. Be safe, creep up on it.

I have never had spin training, other than explanation of recovery, and have been hesitant to do these bank/stall maneuvers for fear of ending up in a spin. I suppose I just need to break that fear. Is recovery pretty straight forward if I stall in a bank?

You are ABSOLUTELY correct! I stand corrected.

The original poster mentioned Phase I, which for the most part is SOLO, assuming the new 2nd pilot during Phase I option is not in play.

So again, no matter what, go practice at altitude and get to know your plane is the common message.

I have been using a QP for some of my Phase I and he will be helping me with the aerobatic Phase I maneuvers as I learn. I have asked him to show me spins, we just haven't had the time yet to do them. Surprisingly, through all of my training and BFR's, no one has had me perform a stall while banking and hence my apprehension.

Thanks to everyone for their comments here!! They are well received and I got the message. I have gotten comfortable with the plane at cruise speeds, but have not done the same at slow speed, except the standard pattern maneuvers and basic stalls. I now recognize the need to experiment just as much at slow speed.

Larry

I will answer in another way... with a question.

Do you have a good understanding of accelerated stalls and what actually causes them?

I do, at least in theory. Stalls come from excessive AOA, not necessarily decaying airspeed. However, in practice, I have little experience with this. All of my training was simply aggressive climbs under power. I am struggling to applying that to G forces applied in a bank/turn, which I suspect causes the stall. I know that pulling back the stick in a turn will increase the G load and I can imgine the temptation to do so while banking in a descent, but I have not really experienced it.

When practicing accelerated/turning stalls, keeping the ball centered at all times is just about the best insurance you can have to keep you out of a spin. Not absolute, but a centered ball should be very high on your priority list.

Also keep in mind that an accelerated stall is likely going to give you a bunch of tactile queues that the airplane is not happy. Namely, a high stick force, and a good airframe shudder. Recovery in this case is normally a very slight relaxation of back pressure. It is rarely the dramatic "push, add throttle, recovery" scenario we were all taught in training for 1 G stalls.

Stall recovery in an RV is typically about a 1/2 inch of movement of the stick.

I was a few years into flying before I was taught an accelerated stall. I think it should be part of the initial training because it answers your original question.
Once you get a feel for one it becomes second nature as to how and when a stall will occur in the pattern.
60 knots, bank 60 degrees and pull until it stalls. Careful as it will usually break different from left to right.
I would recommend an instructor the first time.

Landing Pattern and Stalls

It's not the bank angle that will cause you to stall - you can roll into 90 degrees AOB, maintain 1 g by letting the nose drop, and never stall the airplane.

Danger lurks when you combine bank angle and g. Not inherently dangerous, but worthy of detailed understanding of aircraft performance and flying qualities.

Recommend you do a benign series of clean and dirty straight ahead stall tests at altitude and learn the numbers. My -8A stalls at 52 kIAS clean and 49 - 50 KIAS dirty. Bet you'll find recovery a no-brainer. Relax back pressure and recovery is instantaneous.

From there, progress to a series of turning - or accelerated stalls with increasing angle of bank. Know what it feels like right before the break. When it does break, let go. Add power. Then level the wings. You'll find the nastiness of the stall break is a function of how hard and how abruptly you pull into the stall.

Do this stuff at least 3000 AGL until you develop confidence. Keep in mind with respect to angle of attack, the airplane doesn't care what the attitude is. RV's like acro - even if you end up nose down, relax the g, level the wings, attain flying speed and carefully pull to the horizon.

I was a few years into flying before I was taught an accelerated stall. I think it should be part of the initial training because it answers your original question.
Once you get a feel for one it becomes second nature as to how and when a stall will occur in the pattern.
60 knots, bank 60 degrees and pull until it stalls. Careful as it will usually break different from left to right.
I would recommend an instructor the first time.

I must admit that it has been forty (plus) years since I did my PPL training, but accelerated stalls were definitely part of basic training, and I though they were still part of the Practical Test Standards...no? Some CFI will have to chime in - but I guess I will be pretty shocked if they aren't and folks are flying highly maneuverable RV's without this experience. I'd say that going to find a CFI and getting comfortable in the high AoA regime woudl be high on my list.

I must admit that it has been forty (plus) years since I did my PPL training, but accelerated stalls were definitely part of basic training, and I though they were still part of the Practical Test Standards...no? Some CFI will have to chime in - but I guess I will be pretty shocked if they aren't and folks are flying highly maneuverable RV's without this experience. I'd say that going to find a CFI and getting comfortable in the high AoA regime woudl be high on my list.

Current PTS (due to be replaced soon) calls for bank angles not to exceed 20 degrees during stalls.
I personally consider this borderline negligent. I would never sign off solo stall practice until after a student had demonstrated recovery from a spin entry, and a stall from a 45-50 deg bank. In a plane certified for spins, of course.

Spins

I have been using a QP for some of my Phase I and he will be helping me with the aerobatic Phase I maneuvers as I learn. I have asked him to show me spins, we just haven't had the time yet to do them. Surprisingly, through all of my training and BFR's, no one has had me perform a stall while banking and hence my apprehension.

Thanks to everyone for their comments here!! They are well received and I got the message. I have gotten comfortable with the plane at cruise speeds, but have not done the same at slow speed, except the standard pattern maneuvers and basic stalls. I now recognize the need to experiment just as much at slow speed.

Larry

Just a reminder about spins: parachutes are required EXCEPT when a CFI is giving the required spin instruction to a CFI candidate in preparation for the CFI checkride.
IIRC there have been numerous posts about CG issues in a 6 with two on board and chutes. Especially with heavier persons. Also posts that the 6 with small tail behaves somewhat differently during spin recovery than most airplanes and even different than most other RV models.
Then there is the question of the other pilots qualifications to give aerobatic instruction. I have in the distant past turned down requests to give aerobatic instruction in RV6. Looking back on that many years later it was among the smartest decisions I ever made.
Do yourself a huge favor-find a GOOD aerobatic school that is a full time operation. Start your spin training there, then you can go out and practice spins in your RV6 by yourself, parachute optional.
You can learn a lot about spins in three hours in a Decathalon, a Pitts or Extra is better. There is one major problem with the Pitts. It is extremely addictive. The only known treatment is to buy a Pitts.

Just a reminder about spins: parachutes are required EXCEPT when a CFI is giving the required spin instruction to a CFI candidate in preparation for the CFI checkride.

A slight correction: Unless there's been a recent change, in the FARs there is no such thing as a "CFI candidate", e.g., a student pilot could say he hopes to become a CFI and wants to receive instruction on the required topics, now. The parachute exemption applies to CFI's (and a pilot receiving instruction) giving instruction on any maneuver required for any rating.

Parachutes

Given that the FAA method of doing maneuvers such as chandelles doe not require a parachute, the only time a parachute would be required is for spins and spin training is only required for initial CFI certification. Therefore the exemption only applies to preparation for initial CFI flight test.

The FAA PTS currently requires two types of stalls - power on (at least 65% power in takeoff configuration) and power off (landing configuration). Either stall can be tested in wings-level or turning flight. There is no accelerated stall in the private pilot PTS (there still is in the commercial), although the candidate is required to address the issue orally.

One would hope that all CFIs would provide in-depth training on stalls, spins and other loss-of-control scenarios in a safe and educational in-flight environment. However, this is the era of schools where IFR training in IMC is forbidden, and many CFIs are clearly uncomfortable with the basics of stall/spin training. I don't see the problems being fixed any time soon, either.

I recommend the original poster find a good CFI with a good airplane and spend a few educational hours learning just how much abuse an airplane will take, and why. RVs are wonderful machines, and it would be a shame to not enjoy them for fear of some sort of bugbear lurking on the shadowy corners waiting to jump out at you!

WBK
RV4

Given that the FAA method of doing maneuvers such as chandelles doe not require a parachute, the only time a parachute would be required is for spins and spin training is only required for initial CFI certification. Therefore the exemption only applies to preparation for initial CFI flight test.

I hate these arguments. While what you say above might make sense, that is NOT what the FARs say, nor is it how the FAA has interpreted them. Read FAR 91.307(d)(2) carefully. It says no parachute is required when a cfi is giving instruction for "spins and other maneuvers required by the regulations for any certificate...". There is no mention that the 'student' is interested in or working toward said certificate.

Current PTS (due to be replaced soon) calls for bank angles not to exceed 20 degrees during stalls.
I personally consider this borderline negligent. I would never sign off solo stall practice until after a student had demonstrated recovery from a spin entry, and a stall from a 45-50 deg bank. In a plane certified for spins, of course.

Unfortunately all my stall training was wings level (PPL in '98). We did do power on, but they weren't accelerated stalls. I don't believe the 172's were rated for intentional spins and the regs at the time had changed from spin recovery training to "spin avoidance and awareness." My instructor always promised to take me up in his Pitts to show me a spin, but it seemed to always be maintenance grounded and I moved away shortly after earning my PPL

Larry

Last edited:
I do, at least in theory. Stalls come from excessive AOA, not necessarily decaying airspeed. However, in practice, I have little experience with this. All of my training was simply aggressive climbs under power. I am struggling to applying that to G forces applied in a bank/turn, which I suspect causes the stall. I know that pulling back the stick in a turn will increase the G load and I can imgine the temptation to do so while banking in a descent, but I have not really experienced it.

A really neat visual ground training aid is X-Plane (no, seriously!)
Get the demo version (it only runs for 10 minutes, but it's free), or spend an hour's fuel and buy it so your kids/grandkids can play with it. Find a cheap PC joystick, and fire it up.

Pick an airplane, take off, and then stall it in different scenarios. Use both the HUD view and the outside view (with the force vectors turned on). It'll show you what the AOA of the airplane is doing in turns, hard pull-ups, etc.

Let me be clear. X-Plane is not a substitute for real flight training. However, it's a very good way of showing (with clear, easy-to-understand graphics) the things we talk about and try to feel when flying (because we can't see them). It lets you demonstrate things like stall/spin on a base-to-final turn, or an accelerated stall from a sudden pull-up to avoid something on the runway, that you can't quite do in real life because either you'd get killed, or it won't be fully realistic because you're a couple thousand feet higher. It shows real clearly how you can be in an 85 degree bank at 40 knots, and not be stalled, and how you can be stalled in a level attitude at 120kt.

They say pictures are worth a thousand words. And video is lots and lots of moving pictures ;)

I did my transition training with Alex DeDominicis about 6 months ago. He is under Vans "Umbrella" for flight training in RV's. In the pattern, he would not let me bank over 15 deg and approach speed was 90 mph. At first I was surprised at these conservative numbers but I got the feeling that being a new RV7 pilot, the worst thing I could do is start yankin and bankin at 90 mph at pattern altitude! The RV7 is so maneuverable and easy to bank, I can see how new pilots could get into trouble in the pattern.....I did all the accelerated stalls at altitude in my Phase 1 testing and became familiar with them but that 15 deg and 90 mph kept me safe on those early flights!:cool:

Larry
To keep the answer as simple as possible, you will never be unsafe at that speed if the G load is at or near 1G. Accelerated stalls require a G load on the airplane and pilots get into trouble hauling back on the stick in the turn to final when they over shoot. Don't let yourself do that, keep the G load near one and you'll be ok. Go around and set it up better the next try.

Angle of bank is no factor at 1 G.

Last edited:
Thanks for all advise here. I have done some additional research (the video link helped) and now feel comfortable getting out there to do some practice.

As I do these stalls, I know that proper rudder coordination is key to avoiding spins. I was wondering if anyone has any tricks for re-learning the muscle memory for the RV-6. After 200 hours of 182's and Arrow's, I find that I often add in too much rudder, except in cases where there is P factor. I don't agressively over-do it, but I see the ball out a little, especially entering my turns at cruise speed. It is not excessive and I look at the ball a lot to catch it. However, I know that I will be much safer once I can sub-consciously coordinate in turns. The RV seems to require very light amounts of rudder input for banked turns relative to the other planes I have flown.

Does anyone have a good trick or learning aide for this? Any feelings to look for to catch yourself out of coordination in the RV?

Thanks,

Larry

Last edited:

Larry

Larry,

Great question.

I'm definitely not more knowledgeable nor more experienced but, it seems to me that a quality, properly calibrated AoA with audio and visual queues would warn you of an impending stall regardless of weight or speed. That along with all the other great responses/recommendations should help keep you from stalling in the pattern.

The Real World Intrudes

Doesn't much matter what bank angle limits you were taught in training. For folks not accustomed to aerobatic flight, there are two flight regimes where an accelerated stall can possibly bite you - 1) The landing pattern trying to salvage an overshoot; 2) After take off if you have problems and decide to turn back to the field (Note: this is not an attempt to reopen the turn back debate).

I can't understand why anyone would not practice turning/accelerated stalls at altitude in order to develop a feel for how the airplane handles as it approaches stalls while turning close to the ground. If you don't hamfist the recovery with continued back pressure, the RV will instantly recover if you let go, with minimal altitude loss.

Better to learn and develop a feel at altitude rather than be surprised for the first time in the pattern.

Thanks for all advise here. I have done some additional research (the video link helped) and now feel comfortable getting out there to do some practice.

As I do these stalls, I know that proper rudder coordination is key to avoiding spins. I was wondering if anyone has any tricks for re-learning the muscle memory for the RV-6. After 200 hours of 182's and Arrow's, I find that I often add in too much rudder, except in cases where there is P factor. I don't agressively over-do it, but I see the ball out a little, especially entering my turns at cruise speed. It is not excessive and I look at the ball a lot to catch it. However, I know that I will be much safer once I can sub-consciously coordinate in turns. The RV seems to require very light amounts of rudder input for banked turns relative to the other planes I have flown.

Does anyone have a good trick or learning aide for this? Any feelings to look for to catch yourself out of coordination in the RV?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry, I recommend learning to really *see* when you look out. If you spend a bit of time consciously looking forward over the nose as you roll in and out of turns, you will become much more aware of the amount of yaw and roll. Pretty quickly you can tell visually when you have too much or too little yaw rate for the roll rate you're commanding.

Once you've tuned up your visual sense and consolidate a picture of what "looks right", you can start to associate the kinesthetics of well coordinated turns with the visuals. In not long at all, you will have a tuned up pilot's behind, and that is an instrument that works in any airplane.

I find a lot of my students fly like they're drunk - yawing and lurching from side to side. If I help them settle down and first see, then feel the airplane as it rolls in and out of turns, they show much better control in all flight phases. Covering the slip/skid ball can help pilots become active, rather than reactive. I bought a biplane a few years ago that did not have a slip/skid ball. I found it to be a wonderful tool for tightening up my own sloppiness.

Good luck with your flight testing.

To keep the answer as simple as possible, you will never be unsafe at that speed if the G load is at or near 1G. Accelerated stalls require a G load on the airplane and pilots get into trouble hauling back on the stick in the turn to final when they over shoot. Don't let yourself do that, keep the G load near one and you'll be ok. Go around and set it up better the next try.

Angle of bank is no factor at 1 G.

^ this.

Plus, you can't stall at zero G. Natural instinct should be to unload the wing if you feel it start to let go. For the non-acro pilot this means relax backpressure and/or push, but more generally reduce angle of attack.

If you don't yet have any spin training, something to stick in the back of your head is "nose down, step on the sky". If you go out and practice some accelerated stalls, there's no reason to get worked up about it. Keep it coordinated, and all you'll get is some buffet and complaining like Toobuilder mentioned. If you have too much inside rudder and it starts to want to drop a wing, your instinct should be "nose down, step on the sky", which is a mnemonic for unloading the wing and applying yaw counter to the pro-spin yaw.

RVs spin well and recover well, and it's not something to stress about. Get some upset/spin training if at all possible and you'll be far more comfortable with maneuvering your slick little hot-rod :)

Back