What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro Installation

n2b8r

looking for advice about gopro installation. after using a long #6 screw to affix a slightly modified mount (trim and countersink the display mount that came in the gopro box) to the wing tip via the nut plate at wing-skin edge, i wondered about disruption of airflow over the aileron and if anyone has studied the matter. past mistakes? better ideas?
thanks in advance
jeff H
kwvi

I was just recently given a hero3 and am starting to think about using it. I understand the tiedown mounts and I have seen a custom bracket for the wing tip mounting screws. I also thought I read about someone mounting it with some of the top tank screws and it caused a problem with airflow over the wing and control surfaces.

With all of that said, is there anyone who has perfected the art of using a GoPro on an RV and has written it up in one place? I know that I can search and find fragmented information of what I need but that usually takes a lot of time and hope someone else has already done this for me :D

Finally, I read that there is a filter to remove the "jello" effect. I would really love to see more on that. What, Where, How, etc.

Have a mount on my wingtip.. no issues. I have flown twice with it and both times I got some fogging on the inside of the housing where the lens is.. resulting in foggy video. Guessing the humidity and heat in Georgia. Best video is via a suction cup mount on my panel facing back at me.

Hi Paul, the filter to reduce the jello effect is an ND filter which just forces the shutter speed to be lower on the gopro thus making the propellor a blur, you can find many on amazon etc just by searching ND gopro. It's a great idea, but you'll want to remove it at night.

I bought the tie down mount that a guy on vans makes.
http://i44.tinypic.com/oud209.jpg
It's a wonderful piece of millwork. I used it for the first time last week but found the gopro itself was very draggy, and i really noticed the yaw. Sort of freaked me out a bit, so I kept my speeds down. Not sure if others feel the same way. I also wasn't able to connect to the wifi from my iphone from within the cockpit, which surprised me. I guess the wing has too much interference. I didn't try the supplied remote because it wasn't changed at the time.

Have a mount on my wingtip.. no issues. I have flown twice with it and both times I got some fogging on the inside of the housing where the lens is.. resulting in foggy video. Guessing the humidity and heat in Georgia. Best video is via a suction cup mount on my panel facing back at me.

I fish with my GoPros on my kayak all the time. In Costa Rica I noticed that they tended to fog on me. I always try to put them in the case with all of the gear at outside air temp. But I was still getting fog. It turns out the camera itself was causing it. I could fish all day in the sun and not get a hint of fog in the housing. As soon as I would turn the camera on to film a fish fight, it would only take about 3-5 minutes to fog the lens cover, even though the camera had been in the same location on the kayak for hours. Something about the extra heat from the camera inside the housing. I've modded my housings to try to get better sound anyway, so now I don't have that problem. Housings are cheap. Drill a small hole in the housing and try to keep it in the burble. You can always tape the hole if you like. Just some food for thought. :)

PS. One thing I've always wanted to test was if I left the housing outside to warm up but left the camera in the air conditioned hotel room. Maybe the air inside the housing would be dryer...

Interesting Andy.. maybe I'll try the other back with the openings in it and see how it does.

I fish with my GoPros on my kayak all the time. In Costa Rica I noticed that they tended to fog on me. I always try to put them in the case with all of the gear at outside air temp. But I was still getting fog. It turns out the camera itself was causing it. I could fish all day in the sun and not get a hint of fog in the housing. As soon as I would turn the camera on to film a fish fight, it would only take about 3-5 minutes to fog the lens cover, even though the camera had been in the same location on the kayak for hours. Something about the extra heat from the camera inside the housing. I've modded my housings to try to get better sound anyway, so now I don't have that problem. Housings are cheap. Drill a small hole in the housing and try to keep it in the burble. You can always tape the hole if you like. Just some food for thought. :)

PS. One thing I've always wanted to test was if I left the housing outside to warm up but left the camera in the air conditioned hotel room. Maybe the air inside the housing would be dryer...

yes every since Scott Card posted about how much it effected the stall speed, I have stayed away from putting a GoPro outside. Maybe somewhere on the belly but I think I'm just going to put mine on the bar behind my windshield (RV-7 Slider). Or if anyone else has come up with a clever mount for the inside of an RV.

If I put my landing light in the wingtips, I'm going to modify a lampless Duckworks landing light kit to be my GoPro mounting location. That way it's a solid mount on the "outside" of the aircraft that doesn't cause any unwanted flying characteristics.

I'd like to have a USB wire permanently attached to it that leads back to the cockpit. I can supply power to the camera and remotely download the footage without having to retrieve the GoPro from the housing.

Inside the Canopy

Don't have a photo handy but I've been using one of the Gooseneck Stalks from the GoPro website.
Provides for a number of positions and infiinitely adjustable. Had mine mounted on the center rail behind the seat, side rails and roll bar.
Have also mounted outside many times on my 9A using one of the supplied clip type mounts drilled and countersunk for a #6 screw at the upper and bottom wing at the tip, bottom wing and rear fuselage at the tie down using the same mount mentioned earlier all with success.
For elimination of the jello effect and prop slashing, you can try a neutral density filter. Google that and you'll find a number of choices made just for GoPro.

Last edited:
Considering mounting the GoPro on the RV12 roll bar viewing thru the canopy. How well will that work considering prop effect and vibration?
Thanks.
Dick Seiders

Back