What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mod for quick removable control stick co pilot side

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a way of making a quick removable passenger control stick in rv9a. One rver said he used a depressing pin like on on tent poles when expanding the tent legs.not sure where I could find such a product.
No stick makes it handy to get extra room in the front seat when carry a large box or working under the panel. I have just one push to talk button on that grip so I would have to make a connector maybe small sub D or molex connector.
Thanks guys

Ron in oregon

For the connector I used a 1/4" phonojack inside the stick - mounted so it automatically plugged/unplugged when the stick was installed (less hassle than Molex).

For the connector I used a 1/4" phonojack inside the stick - mounted so it automatically plugged/unplugged when the stick was installed (less hassle than Molex).

That is a great idea. Have any pictures?

To the OP, the "tent pole button" method is what I am using. The buttons are available from McMasterCarr. They come in a pack of 10 so I have spares. If you PM me your address I can toss one in the mail if you decide to go that direction.

Does anyone have a way of making a quick removable passenger control stick in rv9a. One rver said he used a depressing pin like on on tent poles when expanding the tent legs.not sure where I could find such a product.
No stick makes it handy to get extra room in the front seat when carry a large box or working under the panel. I have just one push to talk button on that grip so I would have to make a connector maybe small sub D or molex connector.
Thanks guys

Ron in oregon

You can move the PTT switch to the panel and not have to mess with wiring in the stick.

Quick release pin

Something like this:
7261499-21.jpg

but not that big of a head on the pin.. just using a quick search

Last edited:
I use a clevis pin with 1" ring for removal. I was going to use the tent-pole button arrangement, but decided the clevis pin was foolproof and a little more positive as far as an assured mechanical connection. I put the PTT switch on the panel in front of the R seat position. No complaints.

I complied with the SB except I used a drilled bolt, in the threads, and hold in place with a hairpin type thingy. I used a 6 pin connector from a local electronics store for the push to talk and the coolie hat trim button. It has worked well for 8 yrs, 1325 hours. Dan

What great ideas. I like the push to talk button on the panel and phone plug/pin connector idea as well as the button on the stick to release. Very interesting reading from Vans notable archives. I could use a push or ring pin in the hole where the an3 bolt goes. I'll head to the hangar today and start up my lawnmower,sit in the seat,close the canopy, pretend the engine is running and test the idea of a new right stick configuration!

Thanks everyone! I do the engine running senario couple of times a year to reminisce.
Ron in Oregon.RV9A

You can move the PTT switch to the panel and not have to mess with wiring in the stick.

What great ideas. I like the push to talk button on the panel...<SNIP>
Ron in Oregon.RV9A

I like this idea, too. I plan to wire my Passenger side PTT on the panel in my RV-7. I learned from experience while flying to Sun'N Fun with one of the early RV-6As here in north Alabama. The PIC asked me as passenger to handle the radio work for a while. He was flying the plane but every time I engaged the PTT on my stick the RV gained or lost at least 20 feet. It was aggravating to him as PIC and to me as the passenger.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Ron in oregon

I haven?t seen this on the forum so I thought I?d add it for reference. I know many of us have used the Dog leg quick connector for our copilot stick from McMaster-Carr. I also know that it this type causes interference by blocking the I.D. of the stick when inserted. I was cruising the interwebs (on break?.yeah on my break) and found these guys. Valco / Valley tool and Die in Ohio. They manufacture several type of these push buttons. They call them snap buttons. I gave them a call and they sent me a sample of the zinc plate of the C-type (C-131) http://valcocleve.com/productdetail.asp?pid=C-131&cat=snap&category=C%20Style%20Button with .25?D x .25?H for .75? I.D. tubes. FITS PERFECTLY! Thought I?d add this to the options for us that go this route. They do offer small orders of 4 or so, but if you call and ask nicely they may send you a free sample.

*Note: The dog leg was sent to me from another member here on VAF which I did appreciate. Unfortunately it was to large for this application but shown here for visual comparison.

20160210_144052%25255B1%25255D.jpg

20160210_144220%25255B1%25255D.jpg

20160210_144454%25255B1%25255D.jpg

20160210_144605%25255B1%25255D.jpg

Hi Carlos, Those pins work great , a gentleman from the website blog sent me one, thought he got it from McMaster. Hey glad you like yours.

Ron in Oregon rv9a

I used the pin and have a fully functional Toston grip as I like to fly on the right side sometimes. I drilled a hole fairly high on the stick for the exiting wire so not to degrade the strength of the stick.

1pffie.jpg

I then connected the wires with a 9 D-pin and taped the upper wire secure so it will not rub and clamped the lower part wire with a worm gear clamp.

f9mw0j.jpg

The stick boot covers everything and I can have the stick out in 1 minute.

2w53xwm.jpg

Consider this, after all the hours I spent researching this thinking how wonderful it would be to have a removable stick, and all the hours installing the mod, I have not flown with it removed yet and I have been flying almost a year now! My wife has not asked me once to remove the stick when we are flying somewhere! I have removed it every time I have to lay on my back and work on something under the panel though and it is very handy for that.:)

I take that back. I flew once with the stick out during Phase 1 testing. Transporting something in the passenger seat with the stick in is dangerous!

166yweu.jpg

Back