What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tracking Susquehanna River

Vlad

Well Known Member
On a good evening when air was smooth and sky clear I went local for couple hours. This episode is from Bloomsburg N13 to Wilkes-Barre KWBW. All Pennsylvania the Beautiful.

Somewhere not far from the river sits a slice of paradise. A curved private strip.

Bloomsburg PA with all its fowl.

Airport was deserted I took off and headed eastbound.

Some serious power flows here.

Nice and smooth rare in the gorge.

Out to the valley. Winds calm.

There is an RC field on approach end of runway 7 at Wilkes-Barre Wyoming Valley airport. Guys were having too much fun and one large scale model ( a bomber ) tried to join me in formation. I ran away and landed.

Walked to a shopping mall had a cup of tea and went on my next leg of fun...

tracking Susquehanna river

Vlad, Would like to invite you to lunch on a Sat or Sun @ Sky Acres ,in Millbrook ,NY (44N). It is about 60 miles north of NY City on east side of Hudson river.I am building slow build RV4 and am about 20 mins from airport. My cell # 845 464 6328.........Tom Hankamp

Vlad, Would like to invite you to lunch on a Sat or Sun @ Sky Acres ,in Millbrook ,NY (44N). It is about 60 miles north of NY City on east side of Hudson river.I am building slow build RV4 and am about 20 mins from airport. My cell # 845 464 6328.........Tom Hankamp

I am in Tom. On Sat I am flying to Dover AFB for a safety seminar. Let's coordinate on Sunday. Can I take an aerial tour of your yard? :D

Vlad, in regard to your first photo. only the displaced threshold is curved. Officially, the runway is straight. :eek:

I'm wondering why someone would spend so much money paving a displaced threshold that long, regardless of its curvature. There's also a displaced threshold on the other end, but it's straight.

The only explanation I can come up with is perhaps Runway 13 is uphill, and he/she wanted a good takeoff run before hitting the runway for takeoff. Sure doesn't look uphill, though. Interesting, for sure.

Last edited:
Vlad, in regard to your first photo. only the displaced threshold is curved. Officially, the runway is straight. :eek:

I'm wondering why someone would spend so much money paving a displaced threshold that long, regardless of its curvature. There's also a displaced threshold on the other end, but it's straight.

The only explanation I can come up with is perhaps Runway 13 is uphill, and he/she wanted a good takeoff run before hitting the runway for takeoff. Sure doesn't look uphill, though. Interesting, for sure.

Don't forget that some people have funds far beyond what my little brain can comprehend that allows them to just do silly things that they consider fun.

runway

Couple of possibilities, maybe the land in the lower right corner, below the tree line, was not available.
I would guess that the runway was built to accommodate a twin turboprop or light jet. That small "crooked" extension could greatly increase the safety factor for takeoff. For the start of takeoff roll or end of landing roll, a 20 degree turn would not be a problem.
Also note that there are some significant obstacles, not at the end of the runway, but just past the departure end of 13.
Anyone know exactly where this runway is??

The airport is well hidden. It's called Area 52 in Bally identifier PA35 very picturesque place. If Governor Valcik couldn't buy land there nobody can :D

PA35

Skyvector satellite view dated 2014 shows two hangars at paver area just to the left of 13 numbers. Runway is only 2200' long, so no jets except maybe the small citations.
Skyvector lists owner as Robert Wagner. Also was previously called Bally Springs Farm.

Serious?

On a good evening when air was smooth and sky clear I went local for couple hours. This episode is from Bloomsburg N13 to Wilkes-Barre KWBW.

Some serious power flows here.

Vlad...."serious power".......as opposed to "Comical Power"? :D

Also....I think the curve of the runway is an engineered design. For aircraft with clockwise turning engines you take off on Rwy 31...for counter clockwise turning engines you depart Rwy 13....that way you can be lazy and not hold any rudder on takeoff.....absolute genius!!!!:D

Landing at Harrisburg international MDT is fun. Its on the Susquehanna and landing to the north has you turning left base over Three Mile Island. I grew up within the ten mile radius of TMI. It was nearly our Chernobyl.:eek:

2mq3ods.jpg

pod9h.jpg

2qs1owi.jpg

Last edited:
Could also be to limit noise on takeoff, those houses are fairly close to the threshold and if using the starter extension you would be well high and clear before reaching them.

The scary part is where the strip goes from 50 to. 40 feet wide and over the bridge, pretty daunting for a blind tailwheel aircraft, I've met the new owner, there is a 170b, xteme decathlon and extra on the field.

tracking Susquehanna river

I am in Tom. On Sat I am flying to Dover AFB for a safety seminar. Let's coordinate on Sunday. Can I take an aerial tour of your yard? :D

Vlad, have to renage on this weekend, unfortunately before I got your answer, my sister that I have not seen in quite awhile contacted wife about visiting on Sun. Lets keep in contact and try another weekend to connect.
also my email is: [email protected] and cel #845 464 6328 ...Tom

Back