What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition from helicopter

Blain

Well Known Member
Just sold an Robinson R-22. Have about 200 hours in that ship with no fixed wing time. Looking at buying a RV-4.

Anyone here make this transition without training in something else first?

Blain

i havent made that transition but if you can fly a r-22 then you can fly anything. the landing will be a bit faster but have at it. good luck.
r22marrone.jpg

i havent made that transition but if you can fly a r-22 then you can fly anything. the landing will be a bit faster but have at it. good luck.
r22marrone.jpg

I do miss putting it down on a dime. Had a conversation with one of my old instructors and he related the tail rotor to a tail dragger.

Blain

Just sold an Robinson R-22. Have about 200 hours in that ship with no fixed wing time. Looking at buying a RV-4.

Anyone here make this transition without training in something else first?

Blain

Getting fixed wing add on and even transition training in a -4 is difficult due to limited rear seat pedals and brakes where the CFI would sit. I guess you could train in a cub or citabria to get tail wheel experience and basic fw instruction...I doubt insurers will underwrite zero fw and zero tw time. Most seem to want 25 hrs of tw time to even consider insuring it, so I would try to train in a tail wheel. Or buy a -6 with full dual controls and a CFI experienced with RVs.

Getting fixed wing add on and even transition training in a -4 is difficult due to limited rear seat pedals and brakes where the CFI would sit. I guess you could train in a cub or citabria to get tail wheel experience and basic fw instruction...I doubt insurers will underwrite zero fw and zero tw time. Most seem to want 25 hrs of tw time to even consider insuring it, so I would try to train in a tail wheel. Or buy a -6 with full dual controls and a CFI experienced with RVs.

Hadn't considered the insurance aspect.

Blain

I guess it will be surprising to owners of RV's, but when I flew an RV-6 after owning a 22, I was amazed how heavy the controls felt, and how stable and non twitchy it was. Very direct response to any control input (ie no slop on the controls), but RV just flew with little control input needed it seemed after the 22.

R-22 or any helicopter experience with pedals will be of great help with flying a taildragger.

RV is such a lovely aircraft, and you suddenly have the ability to use your right hand to write stuff down.

John

Last edited:
I agree with Turbo. While they are apples and oranges, if you have the coordination to fly a swing wing, you will have no trouble mastering a fixed wing. I went from a Bell to a Pitts to a RV-10.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Welcome to VAF!

Blain, welcome to the good ship VAF.

You are just down the hill from me, you are welcome to stop by anytime.

I do not have a 4, but I have a buddy close by who has one in the late stages of construction. I do have a 10, is you want to see it.

Good to have you aboard:D

Helicopter to Fixed-wing transition

If you only have helicopter time, then the biggest thing in transitioning to fixed wing flying will be getting used to the very small pitch attitude changes that are required for fixed wing flying.

Most helo-only pilots want to make HUGE pitch changes, which are normal in Helo flying.

Once you get used to the very small pitch changes (when compared to helicopter flying), you will be fine.

Co-incidence!

Did my first hour in a R22 today.

Didn't have too much trouble keeping it straight and level, but it was a mix of great excitement and deep discomfort. I squirmed noticeably as the ASI dropped towards 20kts at 1000' !

I have a newfound respect for our rotary wing brothers! If you can fly one of them, an RV should be no problem!

Cheers

Agree that the active feet of the helicopter pilot will be your biggest asset. One of the only pilots who could fly my Hiperbipe immediately has tons of helicopter time. Conversely, I was able to fly his Jetranger right off the bat in my first and only time in a helicopter. Though not as critical in an RV as other taildraggers, the feet are the key.

Other than a 4

I'd definitely look for something other than a 4 if you are not currently fixed wing rated. Get your ticket in something like a Cherokee or 172, get RV transitioned, then shop for the RV of your liking.

When I built my 7, I had no tailwheel time at all. I got transitioned with Mike Seager in Oregon. The tail wheel was made easier with helicopter experience.

I fly helicopters for a living and can tell you the control feel of an RV is quite similar to a helicopter. Especially the R22.

For the guy who mentioned helicopter guys like to make HUGE pitches changes, I don't know where you get that. If you can see a had or wrist moving over control is taking place. Pretty much like the RV.

...For the guy who mentioned helicopter guys like to make HUGE pitches changes, I don't know where you get that. If you can see a had or wrist moving over control is taking place. Pretty much like the RV.

That is certainly what my VAST (18 whole minutes) of helicopter time told me as well. It took every bit of concentration not to overcontrol in the hover... and I'm very used to "twitchy" airplanes. In fact, my transition into forward flight in the helicopter was simply the point where I couldn't keep ahead of it any longer and flew the patern so I could relax a little.

I'd definitely look for something other than a 4 if you are not currently fixed wing rated. Get your ticket in something like a Cherokee or 172, get RV transitioned, then shop for the RV of your liking.

When I built my 7, I had no tailwheel time at all. I got transitioned with Mike Seager in Oregon. The tail wheel was made easier with helicopter experience.

I fly helicopters for a living and can tell you the control feel of an RV is quite similar to a helicopter. Especially the R22.

For the guy who mentioned helicopter guys like to make HUGE pitches changes, I don't know where you get that. If you can see a had or wrist moving over control is taking place. Pretty much like the RV.

get training in a citabria or decathlon, stay away from the spam can trikes, it will be a step backwards, stay in a taildragger at all costs, you will be happy you did!

i fly both, agree, if you can fly R22, you can fly anything

however, fixed wing is a lot of risk assessment and planning, rotorcraft you can mostly do by the seat of your pants

Blain, welcome to the good ship VAF.

You are just down the hill from me, you are welcome to stop by anytime.

I do not have a 4, but I have a buddy close by who has one in the late stages of construction. I do have a 10, is you want to see it.

Good to have you aboard:D

Thanks Mike. Are you at O61 or KPVF? OK to PM me.

get training in a citabria or decathlon, stay away from the spam can trikes, it will be a step backwards, stay in a taildragger at all costs, you will be happy you did!

My previous instructor has the same opinion. He gave me a few minutes with the stick in a Harmon Rocket. That is what hooked me. No problem with straight and level.

Side note; had my insurance agent quote liability only on an -4. About 1/4 of what I was paying for '22 coverage.

Blain

Last edited:
Update;
Spin entry training in the Decathalon last week. "Things you can't do in a helicopter"!

Shopping for a RV-4

Blain

Back