What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camping Gear and RV-9A

avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Hey Everybody-

Getting to that time of the year when I am considering making some trips in my 9A to do some camping. Been a while since I had my own camping gear and was wondering if those of you are outdoors experts could provide some advice on purchasing camping gear in consideration of the limited baggage space in my 9A. I will need to get a tent (need room for two of us preferably not squished together) and am not familiar with what is good quality and what is just WallyWorld junk, some type of padding to go under my sleeping bag, and whatever accessories you all think would still fit and make the camping experience better. Cost is a consideration-not looking to have a designer campsite. Thinking about Petit Jean as my first outing.

Thanks everybody.
Peter K
9A-235 hrs

Think canoe

I do a lot of canoe camping. A 2 seat RV and a canoe are a lot alike when it comes to transporting "stuff." My canoe has about a 600 lb useful load, 2 passengers, and about the same size area for putting it all.

REI has great equipment at a premium price. If you're serious and want to do a lot of camping, invest there. If, realistically, you will camp 3-4 times a year - Wally World stuff will be plenty good enough and save you a good bit of fuel money.

Petit Jean is awesome.

I agree about REI having high prices in general. However, there are two items you might want to buy there (after checking Target or Walmart):

I camp a lot, but even if I camped only rarely the tent and sleeping bag are the two places to not scrimp (for different reasons).

Tent: Good zippers and truely watertight. The REI Half Dome 2 packs smallish and it is almost as cheap as a Walmart tent. The build quality is awesome and if you _ever_ have a problem just take it to REI (no receipt needed) and they will repair or replace it free (your choice). If it is just one person the Quarter Dome 2 is the same tent just shrunken width wise and it packs much smaller.

Sleeping bag: For an RV you want a bag that packs down pretty good. If the ones you see at Walmart are not compact enough for your tastes, buy at REI. Unless you are a really warm sleeper take your expected camping temps and subtract 20 degrees when considering bags (for a 40 deg night you want a 20 deg rated sleeping bag).

Last edited:
Pad & Pillow

I think a quality pad under one's sleeping bag contributes to a good night's sleep more than any other factor. And the best pad by far, IMHO, is made by Thermarest. Their "Prolite 4" and "NeoAir" models are super light and small, and they self-inflate. They make the ground feel like my bed at home.

And don't forget to bring a good camp pillow. That makes a lot of difference, too. Go to REI.com or Amazon.com and type in "camping pillow" for about a zillion reviews. :D

Peter - as someone who camps a bit, I concur with the above recommendations. I would add the following to tent and sleeping bags:
1) Ground tarp to go under tent (cheapy at Wally world fine)
2) Extra tent stakes - need for tarp, and to augment ones that come with tent
3) Rain proofing (small tube of liquid to apply to tent seams)
4) Either bedroll for under sleeping bags or air mattress and rechargeable inflater
5) Rechargeable fluorescent or LED (better, but more $$) lantern
6) Compact sitting chairs
7) Miscellaneous - extra rope (further tent tie down if needed, hang clothes if wet), hammer, extra tent stakes as mentioned, small rechargeable fan for hot weather, flashlights (LED), nesting cookware (more compact then separate pots/pans), maybe portable butane/propane stove, cooler, and so on.
Best,
Carl

small-ish camping gear

I do multi-day river trips out of a hard shell plastic kayak (approximately 8' long). I have less space than an RV and way less than a canoe.

I've tried numerous sleeping bags, pads, and shelters. The combination that works the best for me is a Cat's Meow sleeping bag from North Face, an Exped DownMat sleeping pad (expensive, but comfortable and warm) and a Kelty Noah's tarp. I contribute the greatest comfort and warmth at night to the sleeping pad.

If I have enough room to bring a tent, then I still bring the Noah's tarp. If you get weathered in flying somewhere you could be stuck there a while. A good tarp is pretty handy.

my $0.02

camp gear

You might check with Boy Scout Troops---they are known for packing LIGHT.
We used Marine Corps combat tents and sleeping bags (surplus). Tents designed for bad weather--very warm and takes alot of abuse. Bags were the cold weather type---down to -30* I think----really great stuff.
And light enough to pack in an RV!

Second for the Exped downmat if you're out below 40 degrees. Thermarest very good also. Cabelas has thermarest imitations at lower price. If you need a tent you can stand up in Cabelas has a good dome under their brand at 20 pounds you can stand in. Otherwise there are numerous good back pack size tents. Down bags yield greatest warmth with smallest pack size.

I have an REI three person tent that is perfect for two people. That's my camping extravagance. It weighs about 5 pounds.

On top of that, I have two therm-a-rest self inflating mattresses, a couple of Coleman aluminum folding chairs, and that's about all of my dedicated camping stuff. For bedclothes, I take sheets, fleece blankets, etc. That's much more comfortable to me than a sleeping bag. IMO, the problem with sleeping bags is that you're either too hot (with 'em zipped closed) or too cold (with them unzipped). On the other hand, sleeping bags are a lighter option.

I've had good success with REI equipment. Be sure to check their outlet site for the really good deals. My son's scout troop used REI tents and really gave them a good workout over the years. They have held up well.

Campmor is another good retailer for inexpensive camping equipment. Consider buying a good lightweight stove & pans, along with water filtration and you are set for just about any remote location.

Get yourself a quality tent, sleeping bag, mattress and you won't regret it.
Especially when the camping experience gets interesting due to inclement weather. Good rain gear is important when you are out in the elements.

And if you want to be comfortable in camp bring a folding chair.

2 years ago our scout troop went to Philmont in New Mexico for a 10 day trek. I wrote up a blog entry on my equipment for posterity's sake:
http://exotericblog.wordpress.com/2008/09/03/notes-on-backpacking-equipment/

Last edited:
Campmor is another good retailer for inexpensive camping equipment.
Campmor.com ... Those who do much backpacking will agree with this. Look especially under their "Hot Deals" section for great deals. I'm a life long member of REI but I almost never shop there anymore. If you want room to spread out a bit and still have a pretty compact tent, try the four-man Eureka Timberline. It's really a 3-person tent, but great for two with room to spread out a bit. It's a bit too heavy for backpacking, but it's what I've used for car camping for 20 years with great results. They've been making this tent for decades. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___26881
If you're looking for something a bit cheaper, most of the other tents campmor sells are good. Be careful, though, about anything lower than $100 or so. The Coleman's, Wenzel's, etc. are cheap (inexpensive) for a reason.

For older people, Therma-Rest mattresses are also fantastic.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Campmor

is great; so is REI. I have done VERY well at REIoutlet.com. That is the discount division of REI. You may have to be patient to get what you want there since they only have overstocked or discontinued items for sale.

Otherwise:

1. Single wall tents are very light and waterproof, but do not breath as well. NorthFace makes a nice one as does Eureka. Get some polyethylene plastic and cut it to the foot print of your tent. Make sure it doesn't extend out farther than the bottom of the tent. If it rains, you'll understand why. A sefl standing design, one that doesn't rely on tent stakes to stand-up is essential. Something like this http://www.rei.com/product/781041
2. I recommend the Thermarest self inflating pad. One inch is fine
3. A down bag will be much more compressible (can get compression sacks for them too), but of course are more expensive. For me I would go with a zero degree bag and you'll never have to worry about being cold, but that depends on your needs. I have a -20 deg down bag that I use all year round and just pull it over the top of me in warmer weather. Down bags will retain less insulating properties however should then get wet.
4. A Whisperlight International stove - will burn a variety of fuels - including avgas
5. A 2 quart pot
6. If you're going to be remote, then a water filter. There are lots to choose from
7. Rain gear
8. 20 feet of thin line x2, duct tape, lighter/matches, food bag to hang food from a tree branch to keep away from critters. I had raccoons scratch at my plane trying to get to the food that I thought was safely stowed in the baggage bin., LED light (I like head lamps)

That should get you started. It will be great fun!

T.

Last edited:
Unless you are a really warm sleeper take your expected camping temps and subtract 20 degrees when considering bags (for a 40 deg night you want a 20 deg rated sleeping bag).
Good tip. I joke that the temperature ratings on bags are the lowest temperature at which you still be alive in the morning, not the temperature at which you'll be comfortable!:eek:

"the temperature ratings on bags are the lowest temperature at which you still be alive in the morning, not the temperature at which you'll be comfortable. "

Truer words were never spoken.
I have backpacked throughout the Colorado Rockies over the last several decades. I have several sets of camping equipment. The circumstances dictate what comes along on a given trip. Most of the equipment I started with, I made myself and still use on occasion. I have an old -40f Frostline down sleeping bag and tent (modified). For you younger people, Frostline used to make kits for everything from Mittens to tents and an excellent down bag. As I get older, I find that I gravitate towards the bigger and heavier equipment, more and more. Thicker pads, larger tents, etc. No mater though, a tent and clothing that will keep you dry and a sleeping bag that will keep you warm are the most important things. Down has always been my insulation of choice although some of the newer synthetics are excellent, especially in wet conditions. Down is worthless if wet. A high quality double layer tent with venting that can be regulated is a must, in my book. Even at -50 you need to vent some of the moisture from the inside lest you wake up inside of the crystal palace with a cold, damp bag. Don't skimp unless you only plan to camp in the mildest of weather.

Back