What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Sender Intermittent Problem

JonJay

Well Known Member
I have the standard 385 Stewart Warner resistive sensors. I have an intermittent problem with the left hand sensor occasionaly shorting, or going open. Sometimes it is rock solid, sometimes it goes away. Very intermittent.
It has been difficult to repeat the problem with an ohm meter but I was able to catch it a couple times. It does not seem to matter what postion, empty or full.
Has anyone seen this failure mode with that sender?
I have ordered a new sender and 1 oz. of proseal to change it out but was curious if others have seen this before.

Me too

Mine was doing the same thing. I traced the problem to my programmng of my EFIS. I had one bad data point in my list and the computer didn't know what to do with it. Discovered it by accident.

Gary Specketer

ground at sender

My first RV6 had resistive fuel qty senders, and over time, one, then the other became intermittent. The fix? Simply backing out, then re-tightening, the screws of the plate to which the sender is mounted did the trick. Too much insulation from pro-seal (and gasket?) and not enough ground, apparently.

This is a common problem with fuel senders caused by an intermittent ground problem. If you do not have a separate ground wire from your probe to your frame, you might try it.

I thought it was just me...

I have exactly the same problem on my -7A, even the same side! Same sender, AFS efis.

I would suggest trying the other (easier) fixes first. My entire sender was pulled, and a new one installed & pro-sealed. It didn't change anything.

I will try improving the ground contact, that is probably the best bet. Although I'm not entirely sure what to change. Randy - do you mean attaching a wire to one of the screws in the access plate?

If anyone solves the problem and can post a photo of how they fixed it, you'll make my day.

Thanks,
Matt P.
RV-7A (C-GIME)
Ottawa, Canada

I pulled mine and replaced it months ago...

I have exactly the same problem on my -7A, even the same side! Same sender, AFS efis.

I would suggest trying the other (easier) fixes first. My entire sender was pulled, and a new one installed & pro-sealed. It didn't change anything.

I will try improving the ground contact, that is probably the best bet. Although I'm not entirely sure what to change. Randy - do you mean attaching a wire to one of the screws in the access plate?

If anyone solves the problem and can post a photo of how they fixed it, you'll make my day.

Thanks,
Matt P.
RV-7A (C-GIME)
Ottawa, Canada

Works just fine now. Mine was defective, not a grounding issue.

Back