What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thanks Van For the Dog House!!

USCANAM

Well Known Member
Couple of years ago when we ordered the quick build for our 9A, it was less expensive (cheaper) to have the parts crated, and shipped across the county by a trucker of our choice.
The crating alone was $500, and I'd say at least half of that cost went into the lumber.
It seemed the best way to dispose of all that lumber was to take a day off from building the 9A, and start to dismantle all the assembled lumber by removing about a half million staples. Very few nails or screws were used in the assembly of the two crates, one for the wings, and one for the fuselage. What we salvaged were many sheets of 3/8" plywood about 46"x 96", and many good quality 2x4's approx. 46" long. Guess they must have a lot of wood in Oregon.
A lot of the plywood was used to make storage shelves up in the rafters of the big garage, and by ripping the 2x4's into 2x2's, they did all the framing for the dog house for our new Borzoi puppy (Russian Wolfhound). There is enough plywood left from the shelves to cover the 4 sides which will them be covered with siding to match our house. The floor is 1x9's salvaged from the crate that had my FWF and Finish kits.
Here's a photo of Derby (pronounced Darby)who is now 11 weeks old and my wife Sandi. He's named after our 1934 Derby Bentley.

What, you say, that's an awful big house for such a small dog??. Not really. If he's anything like our last fully grown Borzoi, if he is standing on his hind legs, and you're holding his front paws, a six footer is still looking up at him!!
He'll be almost 3 feet high at the shoulders.
Van will also be happy to know that we are building the house to aircraft standards!!
We're wondering what other builders did with all that lumber if your kit was crated...
Regards
Jack
Chief pooper scooper!!

Mine is no where near as creative, but I recycled my SB fuse crate into an engine parts shipping crate :)

066%20%282%29.JPG

070.JPG

.....and start to dismantle all the assembled lumber by removing about a half million staples. Very few nails or screws were used in the assembly of the two crates, one for the wings, and one for the fuselage. What we salvaged were many sheets of 3/8" plywood about 46"x 96", and many good quality 2x4's approx. 46" long. Guess they must have a lot of wood in Oregon.
Regards
Jack
Chief pooper scooper!!

nowadays we burn more wood in the summer time than we mill. It is pretty sad.

I take it you have never tried to put in the equal holding power of staples in a wood project with screws? It takes a looooong time, while the staples are just bam bam bambambambambambmabambam and you are done.

we all want van's to ship us the good stuff at a fair price, right? sometimes that means staples instead of screws, so VAC doesn't pay an employee an extra 2-3 hours at $30 an hour or whatever our stupid state has got an employee hour costing nowadays, even at minimum wage. :D to you jack, and :mad: to our state

edit---
your dog still looks puppiesh, lookit how small the head is on that body, and those big paws. I'm sure he'll be abig one. mine are about 85, 120, and 140 pounds, but much stockier frame than a borzoi.

ps- nice garage. you have a car lift huh?

Last edited:
Jack,

Thats an excellent use of the lumber (and a cute pup). I have one watch-out for you, however. I have several goldens and there isn't a single one of them that wouldn't eat a wooden dog house. In our last house, they totally devoured the siding on the back of the garage where we had an exercise run for them. On our current house, we had a 4' tall concrete wall poured where the run is.

Good Luck,
Tom, RV-7A N175TJ Flying

Jack,

Thats an excellent use of the lumber (and a cute pup). I have one watch-out for you, however. I have several goldens and there isn't a single one of them that wouldn't eat a wooden dog house. In our last house, they totally devoured the siding on the back of the garage where we had an exercise run for them. On our current house, we had a 4' tall concrete wall poured where the run is.

Good Luck,
Tom, RV-7A N175TJ Flying
Hi Tom
Thanks for the heads-up. Goldens are big playfull puppys all their life, and love to create at least a little havoc.
Fortunately, Borzois don't have quite that same spirit. Having said that, at least our last Borzoi didn't eat his house.
As I'm sure many readers have experienced the trauma of having to put your friend to sleep. I said I would never go through that again, but fifteen years, and having your 4 1/2 year old grandson living with you now, has us re-building the kennel, and replacing the house that we gave away many years ago.
We had our Mooney when we had Ivan, and if he saw the plane, you had better have a good grip on his leash, because he was up on that wing walk in a flash, and ready to fly. Smooth air, or rough, he loved it sitting across the rear seat.
Unfortunately, I don't think Derby will fit in the 9A. But if I can work out a way to get him into the baggage area, we'll try it.
Jack

Back