What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Car rental at OshKosh?

dwilson

Well Known Member
Going to OshKosh this year with my wife in our RV9A. Landing Osh. Staying at the YMCA about 3 miles away.

Would like to come and go as we please without having to wait for shuttle bus.

Is it possible to rent a car on or near Osh that week?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

get a reservation now

Could be too late, but there are at least 2 rental car agencies by Wittman/OSH terminal. I think one is Enterprise?

Car rental at KOSH

There is a Hertz desk in the terminal. Be aware that you are going to have to park a loooong way from the action and you have to pay for parking every time. Been there, did that, now I take the shuttle.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

good point

John makes a good point. I'll be in camp ground with motor home and biking it to front gate daily. Car is mainly for off site adventures, with wife, daughters. Shuttle buses work great if staying on their route, while car parking is pricey, traffic a hassle, and yet still a walking drill.

Michelle-Mueller Chrysler might have cars

Duane,

We have been using Mueller Chrysler for our rental car for many years. Call Michelle at 920-231-5010. She has been great to work with. She picks us up at Packer's Pub, NW corner of the field, and takes us to the dealership for the paperwork exercise.

You will have to pay for a daily parking pass to keep the car nearby. We camp in the North 40 with our Bonanza and park the car in the Red Lot just across the street.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Red Lot

We've been doing this drill for the last ten years since we stay at Marion College (a/c and breakfast) in Fon du Lac . You can rent either Enterprise or Hertz and pick-up/drop off at Basler. And yes, Enterprise is much cheaper. We're paying $289 for a full size car for Saturday through Thursday. The Hertz quote was double.

Once you arrive, have the Homebuilt courtesy shuttle take you over to Basler. They're happy to do it. When you drive into the show in the morning stay to the left after you pass the museum and go to the red lot. Take a look at the site map and you'll see where I'm talking about. You'll be directly adjacent to the RV parking and won't have much of a walk. You still have to pay for parking. When you drop off you can catch the school bus shuttle which drops off near the warbird area, which is not too far from the RV parking.

Thanks for the info

Thanks all,
Talked it over with the wife, she thinks that we want to save money and just use the shuttle. We will see what she says after a day or two of the heat;)

Red lot

Rick, Gary and everyone else who used to park in the Red lot:

The Red lot as you know it will not exist any more, starting this year. We have invaded that area and taken it over for more RV parking, a move that is long overdue! Depending on how far north we can move the fence, there may be some car parking remaining there, but if any, it will be a lot less then in prior years.

If you are camping with your plane in Homebuilt Camping, you can get a pass from Homebuilder's HQ that will allow you to park in the B lot, which is just south of Homebuilt parking. You may be able to get this pass if you are in the North 40, but the Orange lot might be a better bet.

Lots of things are changing on the grounds this year, and this will be a transition/ growing pain year, so be ready for it.

We're staying at the Y also

Duane,

My daughter and I are staying at the Y Monday and Tuesday. We usually try to get to the grounds sometime before 8:30. We have never used the shuttles the previous stays at the Y. We like to stay later at Osh and my daughter is slow going in the mornings. We'll be driving up. Monday we will stay for the Doobie concert and maybe take in the Fly In Movie. Tuesday night we will be attending the Vans banquet. Your welcome to ride with us on our trips over and back if the times work for you.

Driving

Looks like I will be driving since my 7a isn't flying yet. UGH! I also plan on staying at the Y,but also want to use the shuttle to and from OSH. I am coming from Eastern Colorado if anyone needs a lift.

Need a car? ....

You can have our reservation if you like. PM me if interested. We use Mueller Chrysler, located north of the airport on Omro Road. The rate is $43/day and $0.43/mile. Excellent service! They will pick you up and drive you back to the airport at the end. We have to make other plans so our reservation is open and I would rather refer someone to them. We have had a long-standing reservation with them and don't want to cause them extra work. Our reservation runs from Monday, 7/27, til Sunday, 8/2.

Thanks! Enjoy your week at OSH!

Back