What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New LED Replacement Bulbs For Whelen Position Lights

Hopefully a final answer on this

These lights mislead the consumer into thinking they are approved when they are not.
Jeff I'm going to get to the bottom of this issue. I have contacted Aircraft Spruce to confirm if the bulbs are legal. In their catalog they claim the bulbs meet FAR 23-13191 and are Mil Spec. Sounds legal to a dummy like me. :eek: I have put in a request to verify if they are FAA legal in one of your Whelen or Grimes fixtures. At least if A.S. thinks so anyway. Maybe you should give them a call since they sell an awful lot of your stuff.
I wasn't aware of the FAA rules concerning repairs to old fixtures that have a updated version available. And your right about being frustrated at the time. It seemed every time that certificated spam can plane I owned burped it ended up costing me a small fortune. :(
Thanks for shedding some light on that subject and I do appreciate your input to this site. We have quite a few factory reps watching over us and more than once I have been steered clear of a potential problem.
I've been all through the Whelen on-line catalogs in the last few days trying to decide what to do. You do offer a LED nav fixture very similar to the old style incandescent bulb type but I believe you can't piggyback a strobe on top. It sure looks like the old type nav light. What ever I do decide to get must have a strobe tube and fit on the old nav light footprint since the tips are done! I just figured that maybe these guys beat you to the punch and you might be doing a little damage control.
Oh well, I guess it will all come out in the wash eventually.
Thanks Jeff and keep a eye on us. ;)

It appears that the applicable...

Jeff I'm going to get to the bottom of this issue. I have contacted Aircraft Spruce to confirm if the bulbs are legal. In their catalog they claim the bulbs meet FAR 23-13191 and are Mil Spec. Sounds legal to a dummy like me. :eek: I have put in a request to verify if they are FAA legal in one of your Whelen or Grimes fixtures. ......

Mil-Spec is MIL-DTL-6363 and is still current.

As I said earlier in an earlier post, the Aircraft Spruce text "sort of says" it's certified, but I really distrust any blurb that claims to be "Mil-Spec" that does not quote the actual specification number it supposedly meets.

Since our position light bulbs are probably MIL-DTL-6363/2-2 items meeting

LAMPS, INCANDESCENT, AIRCRAFT SERVICE, GENERAL SPECIFICATION FOR

Then these LED bulbs certainly cannot meet the same specification for INCANDESCENT bulbs...:^)

The bulbs also have to output rated lumens at 185 degrees F, which would probably fry most LED installations.

It's all specified somewhere....:)

Last edited:
As sort of the OP (I restarted this month-dormant thread when I found the LED replacement bulbs in spruce) I've enjoyed reading the discussion, especially the recent posts by Jeff the Whelen rep. Very informative..... but I still don't know what do put in my project.

So Jeff, can you give us Whelen's recommendation for the following:
1) Wingtip LED NAV & LED Stobes for new kits
2) Wingtip LED & Flashtube Strobes for new kits
3) same as #1 but for airplanes already built with your legacy lights
4) same as #2 but for airplanes already biuld with your legacy lights

It would be great to have part numbers, datasheets, and rough street prices for each. I bet a lot of people are like me and what to buy their lights but are confused about which to get.

I always try to support vendors that provide good tech support on the forums, so thanks in advance! I bet this could generate some sales for your company.

see www.whelen.com and look under Aviation. We have a system recommendation section for homebuilts. I would be more than happy to send you the technical data. My information is listed on the site as well.

Mil-Spec is MIL-DTL-6363 and is still current.

As I said earlier in an earlier post, the Aircraft Spruce text "sort of says" it's certified, but I really distrust any blurb that claims to be "Mil-Spec" that does not quote the actual specification number it supposedly meets.

Since our position light bulbs are probably MIL-DTL-6363/2-2 items meeting

LAMPS, INCANDESCENT, AIRCRAFT SERVICE, GENERAL SPECIFICATION FOR

Then these LED bulbs certainly cannot meet the same specification for INCANDESCENT bulbs...:^)

The bulbs also have to output rated lumens at 185 degrees F, which would probably fry most LED installations.

It's all specified somewhere....:)

You are seeing through the smoke screen. How can an LED assembly meet a mil spec when it is a different light source. Aircraft spruce is no going to know the answer, you must contact the manufacturer of the lamps and get proof in writing. Just rember, the word game....."complies with" and "approved to" are two different things. We see this all the time. No approvals....... illegal to install. Period.

see www.whelen.com and look under Aviation. We have a system recommendation section for homebuilts. I would be more than happy to send you the technical data. My information is listed on the site as well.
Thanks Jeff - that is very helpful. Looks like your system recommendation for homebuilts (RV7/9 with enclosed wingtips) is for LED/flashtube lights on the wings and an "old school" A500 incandescent/flashtube on the rudder.

Any chance of an LED version of the A500?

The plot thickens

I've received a response from Aircraft Spruce concerning the legality of the LED replacement bulbs and they have deferred to the vendor with the statement," the vendor states they meet FAR 23-1391 and is Mil Spec" without naming PSA as the manufacturer.
I have sent a request for clarification to Mary Perigo who is listed as the contact for PSA Trimcraft in Lakeland Florida. If in fact these bulbs are manufactured by PSA Trimcraft we may have a answer in a few days that will clear up this question one way or the other. :confused:
Stay tuned!

Thanks Jeff - that is very helpful. Looks like your system recommendation for homebuilts (RV7/9 with enclosed wingtips) is for LED/flashtube lights on the wings and an "old school" A500 incandescent/flashtube on the rudder.

Any chance of an LED version of the A500?

That is a common question. When the technology allows we sure will have a combo unit. At this time there is not enough real estate to mfg. a combo unit in LED.....and meet the FAR requirements.

Applicability of FARS

Jeff,
Since you're quoting part 23. I assume that you acknowledge that it is NOT applicable to aircraft other than with standard airworthiness certificates.

Sec. 23.1

Applicability.

[(a) This Part prescribes airworthiness standards for the issue of type certificates, and changes to those certificates, for airplanes in the normal, utility, acrobatic and commuter categories.]
(b) Each person who applies under Part 21 for such a certificate or change must show compliance with the applicable requirements of this Part.

So perhaps a discussion of what we experimental guys are really LEGALLY required to comply with would be in order.

I'm not at all sure that TSO'd lights and or parts are required, so what is?

These lights are not FAA approved! It is also illegal to install these in a TSO approved light assembly of a different manufacturer.

It does not matter if it is experimental or not if you fly at night.

Ask to see the photometric test report submitted to the FAA that shows compliance to the FAR's. There is none.
Ask to see the environmental test teport submitted to the FAA to prove compliance to the TSO regulations....there is none.
Do they comply with the chromaticity requirements stated in the FAR's?

While there is good intent in such a product, there is also the responsibility to offer a product that complies with ALL of the FAA regulations. Lighting is more complicated than most realize. Try looking at FAR Part 23.1387 thru 23.1397.

Jeff,
Since you're quoting part 23. I assume that you acknowledge that it is NOT applicable to aircraft other than with standard airworthiness certificates.

However, your operating limitations state that to fly at night, you must meet part 91.205. 91.205(c)(2) requirements lists "approved position lights". FAA's interpretation of this is that they must meet part 23.

part 23

Mel,
I certainly agree that the FAA specifies a set of technical standards for the lights. I guess what I'm trying to determine is whether the ONLY lights that are legal are those that hold a TSO, or can we utilize a light that mets the spec even if it has not been through the TSO process. What exactly does "FAA approved light" mean anyway.

I suspect that this is an area that is high on interpretation and short on absolute black and white answers. Of course your opinion may vary! :D:eek:

Mel,
I certainly agree that the FAA specifies a set of technical standards for the lights. I guess what I'm trying to determine is whether the ONLY lights that are legal are those that hold a TSO, or can we utilize a light that mets the spec even if it has not been through the TSO process. What exactly does "FAA approved light" mean anyway.

I suspect that this is an area that is high on interpretation and short on absolute black and white answers. Of course your opinion may vary! :D:eek:
It is my understanding that the TSO itself is not required, but meeting the standards is.

Okay

That has been my feeling all along, and its consistent I think with the use of non-TSO'd devices such as EFIS systems, GPS's etc...

The burden appears to be on the pilot to decide if the part in question meets the reg. This requires the part manufacturer to provide some reasonable assurance and testing for the device.

But it certainly doesn't mean that you can't put someone else's LED bulbs into a Whelen (or other) light fixture (assuming that they can build one that really works).

Jeff, thanks for your participation on these forums. Always nice to have the manufacturer's input.

Bottom line is this: If Whelen can't or won't manufacture an LED replacement for their units, somebody else will and homebuilders (ornery cusses that many of us are) won't really care about the FARs.

I have a brand-new Whelen strobe/nav setup in my plane and the wingtip lenses have already started melting from the heat of the nav lights -- AND IT'S NEVER EVEN LEFT THE GROUND! It makes no sense to have to trash a pair of brand-new strobe/nav combos or put up with warped/melted lens covers. So, if somebody else can solve the problem, many will take that solution, FARs be damned.

It's not right, granted, but that's life. Sounds like Whelen would be wise to solve the dilemma with a plug-in replacement for the incandescent bulbs ASAP.

On the other hand, the gubment will probably soon dictate the use of CFLs in our wingtips anyway ... :D

It is my understanding that the TSO itself is not required, but meeting the standards is.

Hi Mel,
You are correct. The TSO is assurance that the product meets the regs. You and I can build a light in our basement as long as we are prepared to prove to the FAA that it complies with the requirments which include chromaticity, light output/pattern, environmental etc.
Obviously the time, effort, and equipment to properly test is not cost effective, therefore it is much easier to purchase a TSO approved light.

That has been my feeling all along, and its consistent I think with the use of non-TSO'd devices such as EFIS systems, GPS's etc...

The burden appears to be on the pilot to decide if the part in question meets the reg. This requires the part manufacturer to provide some reasonable assurance and testing for the device.

But it certainly doesn't mean that you can't put someone else's LED bulbs into a Whelen (or other) light fixture (assuming that they can build one that really works).

Here is what we have come up against.....We mfg. a wingtip light for Citation Jets. We created an LED module to replace the position light. Since the original light was TSO'd with the incandescent and we wanted to replace with an LED, the original TSO is no longer valid because the test data was for the incandescent. All new testing must be completed to prove compliance.
Did the LED plug-n-play people perform photometric testing through the Whelen glass lenses? I doubt it.

It's better than that . . . . .

Hi Dan,

The magic of marketing. Looks good in the data sheet. When the rubber meets the road, the lights must comply with the regs. They do not list any TSO approvals. Notice it says complies. Call them and ask for the TSO approval letter and/or actual photometric plots indicating light output performance.

Actually, I have one (as well as another manufacturer's) and I have tested them myself to a degree with a light meter to get a "reality check" on their claims. My conclusion is that I can well believe AeroLEDS meets the technical specification. As was discussed above, there is no requirement for experimental guys to have an "approval letter". If you are interested, see http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=322563#post322563

Not Necessarily

Jeff,
Most of us on this forum are already building the whole airplane you know. :D

The fact is that a homebuilt position light can be pretty simple. I've got a couple of them. (And I have tested them. And they are WAY brighter than the spec, AND they meet the chromaticity and angle requirements... and they DON"t draw only .25 amps either, they're HOT). Any NO I don't want to market them. They were just an interesting side project for a EE that doesn't get to work with electronics all day long. :(

I personally don't think that these plugin lights will meet the spec at all. They just can't with that current draw (at the current LED efficiencies).

I feel your pain about the certified world. but thats the one you guys are playing in. :D And with position lights costing what they do for certified parts, you can bet plenty of us will keep looking for other (valid) solutions.

I do think people need to look at solutions like these bulb replacements with a bit of skepticism, after all the rest of us need to be able to see you!

Hi Mel,
You are correct. The TSO is assurance that the product meets the regs. You and I can build a light in our basement as long as we are prepared to prove to the FAA that it complies with the requirments which include chromaticity, light output/pattern, environmental etc.
Obviously the time, effort, and equipment to properly test is not cost effective, therefore it is much easier to purchase a TSO approved light.

Some new light on this subject

Today I received my reply from PSA Trimcraft concerning the LED position light replacement bulbs available at Aircraft Spruce. In fact I had already ordered a set last week. Surprise, there back ordered because of the overwhelming response.
My reply came in the form of a call from Robert Perigo the owner of PSA Trimcraft. We had a long conversation where he offered to answer any of my questions I had concerning the legality of these bulbs. As I asked my questions he repeatedly quoted many of the FAA light standards and tried to explain there meaning and the hornets nest that the regulations are. He seemed to me to be very knowledgeable on the subject and definitely knew what he was talking about. He never once gave me any sales pitch. He even offered to send me copies of the regulations to my home. He seemed to be a pretty nice guy. Kind of like a RV guy. I already have most of the FAA publications and have been going through them. I wish I had recorded the call since so much was said and I'm going from memory here. I was driving through a city at the time and tried to scribble notes on a cardboard box.
Lighting as pertained to the home builder is an extremely gray area. Were building our own planes rivet by rivet for Gods sake. IMHO it is completely legal to install these in our RV's. Were splitting hairs here. If you read them yourself I'm sure you'll agree.
I'm sure Mr. Argersinger is just doing his job as a aggressive sales manager of a multi-million dollar company trying to scare the **** out of us little guys to buy his new improved products and to get us worrying that the FAA lighting police are coming to get us. That's why most of the posts on this thread are his. I'm afraid they missed the boat on this one. Bet they come out with one of their own soon. Their operating in a different world.
As far as I can see there are no LED specs for any lighting including the ones Whelen sells. There just too new and they haven't been established yet.
As far as TSO applies to us. It doesn't.
I asked for a Mil Spec number since there isn't one in the Aircraft Spruce description and Mr. Perigo easily rattled out the requested numbers for these bulbs.
I hope I have them right.
Federal Spec W00111
Mil. Spec 45208A
Mil. Standard 456662
I have found out what I was looking for and this is my last post on this thread since I think it has just become a pissing contest. Use common sense and good judgement and you'll be fine.

It's a pity you were driving...

As far as I can see there are no LED specs for any lighting including the ones Whelen sells. There just too new and they haven't been established yet.

I asked for a Mil Spec number since there isn't one in the Aircraft Spruce description and Mr. Perigo easily rattled out the requested numbers for these bulbs.
Federal Spec W00111
Mil. Spec 45208A
Mil. Standard 456662
I have found out what I was looking for and this is my last post on this thread since I think it has just become a pissing contest. Use common sense and good judgement and you'll be fine.

..and writing down specification numbers. You did better than I can do...:)

But --

Mil. Spec 45208A - appears to be MIL-I-45208A, MILITARY SPECIFICATION, INSPECTION SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS - Which went obsolete in 1996

Mil. Standard 456662 - is a bad number - the highest number is in the 8000's and none are in the 4000 block...

Federal Spec W00111 - the closest to this is W-L-101H, FEDERAL SPECIFICATION: LAMP, INCANDESCENT - but covers incandescent bulbs...:(

The real specification he should have quoted is the one the TSO for navigation lights refers to, and is controlled by the SAE, and hence costs $$$ to get...:(

Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. (SAE), Aerospace Standard (AS) 8037, “Minimum Performance Standard for Aircraft Position Lights,”

That is the KEY one, and should be (not confirmed yet) independent of the type of light bulb.

Confirmed, the SAE Spec (latest Rev A version) says...

It is not intended that this standard require the use of any particular light source such as quartz-halogen,
incandescent, or any other specific design of lamp

Not a pissing contest, just trying to find out what specifications these LED bulbs were actually designed to...

The TSO might not apply to us, but the performance requirements in the FARs certainly do.

Last edited:
Today I received my reply from PSA Trimcraft concerning the LED position light replacement bulbs available at Aircraft Spruce. In fact I had already ordered a set last week. Surprise, there back ordered because of the overwhelming response.
My reply came in the form of a call from Robert Perigo the owner of PSA Trimcraft. We had a long conversation where he offered to answer any of my questions I had concerning the legality of these bulbs. As I asked my questions he repeatedly quoted many of the FAA light standards and tried to explain there meaning and the hornets nest that the regulations are. He seemed to me to be very knowledgeable on the subject and definitely knew what he was talking about. He never once gave me any sales pitch. He even offered to send me copies of the regulations to my home. He seemed to be a pretty nice guy. Kind of like a RV guy. I already have most of the FAA publications and have been going through them. I wish I had recorded the call since so much was said and I'm going from memory here. I was driving through a city at the time and tried to scribble notes on a cardboard box.
Lighting as pertained to the home builder is an extremely gray area. Were building our own planes rivet by rivet for Gods sake. IMHO it is completely legal to install these in our RV's. Were splitting hairs here. If you read them yourself I'm sure you'll agree.
I'm sure Mr. Argersinger is just doing his job as a aggressive sales manager of a multi-million dollar company trying to scare the **** out of us little guys to buy his new improved products and to get us worrying that the FAA lighting police are coming to get us. That's why most of the posts on this thread are his. I'm afraid they missed the boat on this one. Bet they come out with one of their own soon. Their operating in a different world.
Federal Spec W00111
Mil. Spec 45208A
Mil. Standard 456662

The TSO is just proof that the light meets the FAR requirments. You are right, it is not necessarily required. It is still up to the installer to prove that the piece of equipment being installed complies with the FAR requirments. I can see here that my postings are being taken as a threat, and not as a point of view to educate.
As previously stated, I have no problem with competition, as long as they play by the same rules.

..and writing down specification numbers. You did better than I can do...:)

But --

Mil. Spec 45208A - appears to be MIL-I-45208A, MILITARY SPECIFICATION, INSPECTION SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS - Which went obsolete in 1996

Mil. Standard 456662 - is a bad number - the highest number is in the 8000's and none are in the 4000 block...

Federal Spec W00111 - the closest to this is W-L-101H, FEDERAL SPECIFICATION: LAMP, INCANDESCENT - but covers incandescent bulbs...:(

The real specification he should have quoted is the one the TSO for navigation lights refers to, and is controlled by the SAE, and hence costs $$$ to get...:(

Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. (SAE), Aerospace Standard (AS) 8037, ?Minimum Performance Standard for Aircraft Position Lights,?

That is the KEY one, and should be (not confirmed yet) independent of the type of light bulb.

Not a pissing contest, just trying to find out what specifications these LED bulbs were actually designed to...

The TSO might not apply to us, but the performance requirements in the FARs certainly do.

You are absolutely correct with regards to the SAE spec. You could use any type of light source as long as it complies.

For the purpose of this discussion, see the link below to an older version of SAE 8037. This has since been revised to rev A, but should give a good indication of the criteria that must be met for a position light to be installed on an aircraft, homebuilt or not.

I think it would be very eye opening for most on this post to take a look and see what is required for "just a nav light". I may be missing something, but it does not refer to any MIL spec.

http://www.wechome.com/dlfiles/C67E91471A8AF.pdf

let me know if the link doesn't work at
[email protected]

Thank you all for your time,comments, and input.

dumb question?

3 pos'n lites at less than .5 amps vs approx 6 amps (25W/bulb @ (25W= 13.8V x 1.8A) x 3)? Okay, but why is power so critical? If you're trying to night fly with a 35A electrical system, that will take some very careful planning regardless of the type of pos'n lites used, and probably just won't work. Don't forget the strobes, landing lite(s), avionics, interior lighting, probe heat, electric flaps, other cont/intmt amp draws, etc. in your planning. For anything other than day VFR, really should be using a 70 A electrical system anyway.

Authors of comments re what the FAA might ramp check or re not caring about FAR's should go read/re-read the Dan L RV10 crash/NTSB report thread.

N/W the FARs, FAA, the intent of pos'n lites is so that YOU can be seen at night/reduced vis condx. They can also be TOO brite, e.g. new FL State Trooper lites at night, especially when it's raining! We don't turn on strobes at night until cleared for takeoff, right? There is also a chart that Whelen publishes re required coverage areas, i.e. above, below, behind, front, etc.. There is a reason extended wingtips get by with combo color/strobe/tail lites, and the others do not, on our RVs.

No doubt, I will NOT be replacing my Whelen combo color/strobe/tail units for the LED version at a cost of approx $1200 each, but let's not lose sight of the ball here.

Last edited:
My informal, very unscientific test results

Well I finally received my LED replacement bulbs from Aircraft Spruce. I set up a little test to compare the Green LED bulb with the standard incandescent bulb with green lens. I used a Whelen clear lens in the fixture with the LED bulb. I mounted them about a foot apart on a piece of plywood with a divider between them. I painted the test board flat black.
http://i27.tinypic.com/5b216w.jpg
I then clamped the board to a saw horse and put it out in my backyard about a hundred and thirty feet away and waited for the sun to go down.
http://i27.tinypic.com/2a5bzpc.jpg
I connected both lights together so they would get equal voltage from a 12 volt boat battery.
http://i32.tinypic.com/21nqe86.jpg
I was very pleased with the output of the LED since I was afraid it would fail in a competition with the incandescent. The light from the LED was a brilliant emerald green while the incandescent with the green lens was more of a washed out blue. I moved around the fixture so I could view the light from all directions. While looking straight on from the front the incandescent appeared to be a little brighter, almost a white light. Other than that direction they seemed to be pretty equal. I'm using a wig-wag on my landing lights anyway. Compared to some of the other LED installations I've seen these are pretty darn nice. And unless somebody from the FAA tells me to lose them, you'll be able to see them on my plane.
One very interesting observation I made was in the temperatures reached while doing this test. The outside air temp was 72. I had both lights illuminated for about 20 minutes.
While the bulbs were still on I tested each with a laser temperature gun. The LED with the clear lens was 72. The incandescent read around 250. I figured something was incorrect so like the dummy I am I grabbed the lens with my hand. After I got done swearing and acting like big baby I disconnected the bulbs from the battery and moved the whole setup back into my airplane factory (basement).
Just for giggles I tried reading the light temps again. The LED was still 72 and the incandescent was down to 225 and going down. Now I know why those guys were complaining about there wingtip lenses melting.
Long story short, there bright, there cool, the use very little power and they don't burn out.
I give these bulbs two thumbs up.
I tried to insert the images but could only figure out how to get the links. If any moderators could insert them I'd forever be holding to ya.;)

They pass the "Norwood Lighting Test" with TWO thumbs up, and that is good enough for me. I've got about 6 hours of night flight on mine since SnF and I have yet to have an FAA guy check my light bulbs.

Buyum, flyum, forget about-um. We got better things to worry about guys.

Last edited:
LED drop in replacements

Well I finally received my LED replacement bulbs from Aircraft Spruce

Those look great. I don't recall seeing them offered on Spruce's site, last time I looked at this thread.

Confirm that those are drop in/screw in replacements for the standard incandescent bulbs in the Whelen fixtures?

Thanks.

Confirmation!

Confirm that those are drop in/screw in replacements for the standard incandescent bulbs in the Whelen fixtures?

Go to page #3 of this thread and scan down to post # 25 by Iowa RV9Dreamer.
He has a link to the actual order page in Aircraft Spruces catalog.
They look like a regular bulb on steroids.:eek: A standard bayonet base. Takes minutes to change out. The only extra thing I did was to install a clear Whelen lens over them since they are already colored.;)

Update

I, for one, appreciate the lively discussion about this subject. There's obviously interest in the issues of heat/energy/illumination of the LEDs vs incandescent bulbs, even without melting wingtip lenses.

I gleefully popped in my Aircraft Spruce LED replacements and they looked clear and very bright. No heat. Happy camper.

Until I turned them on for the first time in flight. As soon as I turned them on, the squelch went off on my SL-30 radio! VERY annoying. After some troubleshooting, I removed the green LED -- still noisy. Removed the red one -- silence. Put in the stock incandescent bulbs and everything's back to normal.

Has anyone else had this issue with these LED bulbs?

just bought mine today....ordered directly from the company and should have them sometime next week.

i plan to install and test next weekend. expect further info then!!

Jeff

Mine are rock solid quiet as a church mouse. Have you checked the ground? How about running a lead wire from the left to power the right?

Larry, I presume that question was directed to me. After further troubleshooting, I've discovered that the LED bulbs are the problem with my system. If I put either bulb in either wingtip, static is the result. Sounds exactly like the squelch on my radio. No interference with the audio panel or the CD player/radio unit. Just the SL-30.

I've sent a note to Bob Nuckolls about some filter that he makes to solve the problem, but have not yet heard back.

Nothing changed

Well, since my post was the last in this contentious thread, I may as well continue the saga ...

A fellow VAFer e-mailed me with a solution to my HF noise with the LED nav light bulbs: Solder in a 10uF capacitor and a .1uF capacitor in parallel between the positive and negative leads of the light. That worked -- until I went flying. Noise came back.

Next suggestion was a couple of toroid filters on the positive leads to the lights. Did that, wrapping 3 times. Didn't help.

The only other suggestion was to adjust the squelch setting on the radio. Didn't help.

I'm puzzled why others have not had this issue. There's nothing weird about my wiring -- it's Van's stock wiring harness.

I'm up for any other suggestions ...

My Whelen wingtip strobes just failed after 29 years
I am looking to replace them with the Navstrobe Sextant 3 bulb led system.
Where do you get a receptacle to fit the tail light bulb as the Whelen taillight unit is different than the wingtip nav light bulbs.

My Whelen wingtip strobes just failed after 29 years
I am looking to replace them with the Navstrobe Sextant 3 bulb led system.
Where do you get a receptacle to fit the tail light bulb as the Whelen taillight unit is different than the wingtip nav light bulbs.

You’ll note you attached this post to a very old thread. Today there are plenty of low cost LED options. I personally use ‘FlyLeds’, from Australia (but marketed domestically by ‘FlyBoys’) in part because they don’t use fancy electronic ‘chopper’ circuits to keep the leds from overheating: just direct current dropped thru a resistor, no radio noise produced.

You’ll note you attached this post to a very old thread. Today there are plenty of low cost LED options. I personally use ‘FlyLeds’, from Australia (but marketed domestically by ‘FlyBoys’) in part because they don’t use fancy electronic ‘chopper’ circuits to keep the leds from overheating: just direct current dropped thru a resistor, no radio noise produced.
For the Whelen drop-in replacements (I don't think FlyLEDs has those, or do they?), does anyone have experience with these WRT radio noise etc.? https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/wingtipLED11-14885.php

I am not trying to replace the nav lights I am looking to replace the wing tip strobe with a nav/ strobe unit that plugs into the Whelen wingtip nav socket. That part I have found.
The problem is find a replacement strobe light for the tail light as the tail light socket is different from the wing tip sockets.

Back