What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Available Frequencies

tacaruth

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Here is a feature I am looking for in a portable GPS. Since the GPS knows where you are and your altitude (if necessary), it would be nice if the GPS could easily tell you your current flight service frequency and current center frequency for flight following. I know that some might tell you this if you looked up the nearest airport but that sounds a little cumbersom. Looking on a sectional chart seems "old school" and requires alot of "in cockpit" concentration. Is there a unit out there that provides this? I fly VFR and usually during the day.

Tom RV-7A N175TJ Flying

The feature already exists. Garmin 430/530 does this and I think the 496 does too. Not sure about others. You're right, it is a nice feature. -Jim

Almost all of the modern Garmin units have this feature. Even my old 295 had it. Just hit the NRST button and then scroll right until it says ARTCC. It will give you 3 or 4 choices in your area. Usually I call the first one, and if it's not right, they'll tell me who to call.

Back