What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Oil Cooler Vent

tacaruth

Well Known Member
Anyone have any experience with Vans Oil Cooler Vent? I'm looking for a way to raise the oil temps during cold winter flying. While this should allow for warmer oil temps in winter flying, will it open enough to allow for full cooling during the hot summer?

Thanks,
Tom, RV-7A, N175TJ Flying

Anyone have any experience with Vans Oil Cooler Vent? I'm looking for a way to raise the oil temps during cold winter flying. While this should allow for warmer oil temps in winter flying, will it open enough to allow for full cooling during the hot summer?

I just cover a couple of inches of the oil cooler with a length of sticky aluminum tape every winter. Then peel it off in the spring. Costs a few pennies and weighs nothing.

what am i missing mike that link takes you no where.?

Hmmmm, must have timed out???

O.K., go to the "search" function in the drop down menu titled "forum jump" at the bottom of the page, type in "oil cooler shutter". Select "any time" from the box where you set the time frame to search.

LOTS of prior info on this.

Good Luck.

I just cover a couple of inches of the oil cooler with a length of sticky aluminum tape every winter. Then peel it off in the spring. Costs a few pennies and weighs nothing.

What Kevin said. Remember that oil does not start flowing thru the oil cooler till it reaches approx 180 degrees (vernatherm controlled) so initail warm ups will take the same time. If its not too windy I do my run-ups pointing down wind to speed the process up a little. Still painfully slow.
RV3 pilot

Dimensions of oil cooler vent?

Does anyone know the thickness of the vans oil cooler vent for the standard sw oil cooler. I just need to see if I have enough space to retrofit it between my baffle and cooler. It looks rather thin, but I need a precise measurement.
Thanks!

Does anyone know the thickness of the vans oil cooler vent for the standard sw oil cooler. I just need to see if I have enough space to retrofit it between my baffle and cooler. It looks rather thin, but I need a precise measurement.
Thanks!

It's 3/16". Allow 1/4"+ (total) for washers on both sides. The washers are required.... to keep the slider panels from hitting the cooler fins & binding.

Just happened to have one dangling from the firewall, in the garage.

Note: my cooler requires a notch on the right flange to get around the engine mount. And that's normal.

Back