What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CHTL / EGTL Questions

jrock836

Well Known Member
Hi guys..

I purchased an RV12 already built a couple of months ago. Since I didn’t build the plane, I now find myself continually trying to figure out where things are and how to get to them. I end up looking through the KAIs, Rotax manuals, RV12 Maintenance Manual and searching here on VAF. I guess there is a learning curve to figuring it all out, but I sure seem to spend lots of time doing research..

I spent the better part of two hours trying to research CHTL / EGTL and just decided you guys might be able to save me some time. The latest issue I have been trying to figure out is that my CHTL and EGTL readings on the Skyview display seem to fluctuate wildly between normal readings and zero.. Sometimes when I see the fluctuations I can change my throttle setting and the readings will settle down. Is there a common ground between these two circuits that I can check? I found the info about EGT sensors in the KAI 48.07, so I will take a look at the sensor and wiring to make sure all looks okay. Any other ideas what I should check? Where is the CHTL located and what does it look like? Haven’t had much luck finding CHT sensor in the KAI so far. Can anyone direct me to where it’s listed?

Thanks!

Joe I have the range noted in a few places in the plane so I don’t have the numbers in front of me. You should have the pilot operating handbook and those numbers should be there.

Joe I have the range noted in a few places in the plane so I don’t have the numbers in front of me. You should have the pilot operating handbook and those numbers should be there.

Thanks.. Yes I have the various temperature ranges.. I'm trying to track down why I'm getting erratic data displayed on the Skyview display.. It's strange that both left side CHT and EGT are fluctuating up and down by large amounts. Seems to be either faulty sensors or a wiring problem.. Hope to get to the bottom of it soon..

Thanks.. Yes I have the various temperature ranges.. I'm trying to track down why I'm getting erratic data displayed on the Skyview display.. It's strange that both left side CHT and EGT are fluctuating up and down by large amounts. Seems to be either faulty sensors or a wiring problem.. Hope to get to the bottom of it soon..

Disconnect the slide on terminals from the sensors, clean them up with electrical contact cleaner then reinstall. I know an AP that after getting good continuity, puts RTV silicone sealer on the connectors and sensors, to form a bond. YMMV, figure out what works for you, make sure the terminals fit snugly.

Disconnect the slide on terminals from the sensors, clean them up with electrical contact cleaner then reinstall. I know an AP that after getting good continuity, puts RTV silicone sealer on the connectors and sensors, to form a bond. YMMV, figure out what works for you, make sure the terminals fit snugly.

Thank you.. I’ll give it a try tomorrow..

Another newbie question please....

Is there a quick and easy way to find exactly where in the plane any given part number is located? For instance, I noticed prior owners complied with SB 14-12-06 by inspecting for a couple of years, but then seemed to stop logging the inspection and compliance in recent years. I deduced from reading the Service Bulletin that I might be able to see the part requiring inspection or reinforcement by removing the F-1229 Baggage Cover.. I spent quite a bit of time looking through various KAI pages before I finally found a diagram that included F-1229 Baggage Cover.. Is there an easier way of finding things like this, such as a searchable database that I don’t know about. Of course I assumed the cover would be in the baggage compartment, but finding it in the KAI pages took some time..

Thanks again!

Do you have the PDF version of the plans on a thumb drive or CD? If you know the part number, you can often insert the number in the PDF search box, and it will take you to the drawing that shows that part.

Do you also know about “The List”?

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/public/parts.txt

It lists most of the parts and what they cost. For example, it shows an F-1229 baggage floor cover for $8.00.

Last edited:
Do you have the PDF version of the plans on a thumb drive or CD? If you know the part number, you can often insert the number in the PDF search box, and it will take you to the drawing that shows that part.

Do you also know about “The List”?

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/public/parts.txt

It lists most of the parts and what they cost. For example, it shows an F-1229 baggage floor cover for $8.00.

I wondered but did not know a PDF version of the plans existed.. That sounds like what I need! Thanks for the link to "The List".. I now see Flash Drive RV12 Plans on "The List" for the low cost of $10! Now we're cooking with gas!

Last edited:
From my experience, erratic EGT or CHT readings are usually attributed to bad terminal to wire crimps. The EGT and CHT wiring is very small gauge and a challenge to properly crimp a connector to.

From my experience, erratic EGT or CHT readings are usually attributed to bad terminal to wire crimps. The EGT and CHT wiring is very small gauge and a challenge to properly crimp a connector to.

Fingers crossed that is all it is... Thanks..

To add my two cents: I installed a new oil pressure sender to correct an erratic indication only to find I had a an intermittent connection at a connector. Oh well, at least I have a spare sender now! Never underestimate the value of a good electrical connection or the frustration a bad one can cause!

Back