What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Squeak

MWH265

Well Known Member
Looking for ideas. I have a 6A that the left brake will squeak. Sometimes more, sometimes less. A tap of the brake pedal will silence it. Sometimes for good, sometime for only a few feet. I have Cleveland 30-9 brake calipers that appear original to the build.

With my mechanic I have cleaned and rebuilt the caliper. Close inspection of the rotor did not reveal any warping. No wobble of the wheel on the axel. New brake pads and properly conditioned them. I have filed a small bevel on the edges of the pads. I have greased the pins the pressure plate slides on, and I have replaced the pins. I also used the CRC disk brake quiet. A close inspection did not show the tire or anything else contacting the wheel pant.

I think my next move is replacing the pressure plate. Which appears to be $175 bucks. Just looking to see if anyone has other ideas to try or has had this issue before I spend the money on the pressure plate.

Thanks for any ideas
Mike

Welcome to brakes

I have a 2001 RV-6A with standard Van's brakes that I bought built.
Put new pads on and have a chatter on the right. It lived on pavement for a year and half and the last year and half on grass. I've been a mechanic for 50 plus years.
I have taken this side apart a couple of times to check out the solution. Pad is tight on the backing plate, rotor smooth, calipers good, sanded pads and rotors. Done everything I can think of. Finally gave up. stops good no pull no problems.
Beats me as to why it still has a chattering in it.
I've replaced thousands of brakes on cars trucks etc with out this noise.
Good luck Art

Ya I know I am no help. But gotta laugh at the situations that happen.

Just adding a data point here... back when I was a pup and riding motorcycles there was a trick to fix squealing disc brakes. Drill three blind holes evenly spaced in the pad and then remove graphite lead from a #2 pencil and insert it into the blind holes. The drill diameter should be loose fit for the pencil lead. This adds a very slight but continuous amount of dry lubricant to the disc/pad interface. Worked a charm...

Back