What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I use blind rivets here?

didja

I am finishing my left Aileron and nearly complete with the wing kit for my 14A. I noticed after I blind riveted the inner and outer main ribs together on my aileron and am about to rivet the trailing edge that I forgot to rivet these three locations on the top of the spar for the aileron.

I am looking for anyone's input as to whether or not this warrants drilling out the 16 blind rivets on either side, pulling out the trailing edge and removing the double sided tape residue to get access inside the aileron to put solid rivets in these three locations, or if i should simply put blind rivets here and go on.

My inkling is to simply drill out to a #36 (or whatever the leading edge ribs where drilled to and using those same blind rivets...... anyone think that that might be a bad idea? Is it better to drill out the aforementioned and put three solid rivets in?

20201014_225107.jpg

20201014_225114.jpg

If the called out rivet is 3-3 or 3-3.5 MK319BS typically used. Grip range up to .09”. Holes would need to be drilled out to #34 or #33 for that rivet.

Agree that checking with Vans is a good idea

Back