What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming 6 cylinder 24volt electronic ignition system???

Jetj01

Well Known Member
I was disappointed to find out yesterday the SDS CPI-2 Dual Electronic Ignition system I WAS going to buy yesterday DID NOT have a 24 volt system option ☹️ I was very impressed with their product but DO NOT want the added complexity of a step down to 12 volt. Is there a GREAT option for dual electronic ignition for 24 volt systems for my AEIO Lycoming 540 with single drive dual magnetos with CS prop?

Thank you for ANY inputs👍

Thanks Dan!

They appear to be a mGneto replacement concept. Unfortunately with the single drive dual magneto system, won?t work. I?d like to eliminate my system completely.

Jj

Are you locked in to a 24 V battery? My B&C 100-1 12V battery cranks the **** out of my high compression O-290-D2. They advertise:
The B&C Recombinant Gas (VRLA) batteries have a longer service life that will easily last 2-3 years in most aircraft as long as it is kept correctly charged. The cranking power of this battery technology is double to triple that of conventional batteries, even at extreme cold temperatures.

I was disappointed to find out yesterday the SDS CPI-2 Dual Electronic Ignition system I WAS going to buy yesterday DID NOT have a 24 volt system option ☹️ I was very impressed with their product but DO NOT want the added complexity of a step down to 12 volt. Is there a GREAT option for dual electronic ignition for 24 volt systems for my AEIO Lycoming 540 with single drive dual magnetos with CS prop?

Thank you for ANY inputs👍

Light Speed Plasma III's have an input voltage range of 5 to 35 Volts. The crank position sensor is on the flywheel, so the mag hole will get a cover, so no worries there. My dual E.I's have never missed a beat.

The 4-cyl Dual-Mag engines have a pressurized oil port in the bore which supports the mag gear on the crankcase side. I don't know if the 6-cyl Dual-Mag engines do too, but if they do, you'll need to add a dummy shaft to the mag coverplate to block that oil hole.

I'd just step down to 12v. Not hard, and the circuitry is well proven.

What about using a TCW backup battery as an additional 24v -> 12v buffer? It might do the stop down itself, but putting that in with the mix should be easy.

If you decide to use a step down you have to make sure it is rated for the required current you'll need plus a buffer. Another option is to run the ignition on a separate 14 volt system. Running two 12 volt batteries for 24 volts and taping one for 12 volts, charging both with 24 volt alt. EZ

The 4-cyl Dual-Mag engines have a pressurized oil port in the bore which supports the mag gear on the crankcase side. I don't know if the 6-cyl Dual-Mag engines do too, but if they do, you'll need to add a dummy shaft to the mag coverplate to block that oil hole.

I've examined one here. No oil hole but other people tell me some do. Two engine shops I contacted said they hadn't seen one there. 175 different Lycoming engine models, so who knows?

Anyone with Pix?

We have a cover plate with dummy shaft, (here are 3 different bore sizes BTW) but don't know if it's needed.

We have a recommended 30 amp 28 to 14V power supply that people have used for our EFI systems, pretty light and compact.

Back