What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV6 Panel, G3X

Walt

Well Known Member
Another great looking panel leaves the shop!
This was an extremely dated RV6 project, completely rewired the aircraft from nose to tail.
A lot of work by both myself and the owner (who's a good friend), came out super nice!

IMG_0636%20%282%29-XL.jpg

Before:
IMG_0641-L.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Super nice!

However, why would someone spend that kind of money and effort on a dog like the RV6. ;)

Ha!
Great job Walt. Super jealous.

Walt,

Left to right across the bottom of the panel, what are the switches and rheostats? I can read the labels on about 3/4 of them, but...

I have a nearly identical panel (Dynon vs G5 as they weren't invented yet) but my radio stack is (top to bottom) audio panel, GTN650, radio, AP. I wanted the GPS higher in my field of view, and the AP closer to the engine controls/my hand. I was wondering what your calculus was on the order you have them in?

=Dave=
N102FM

Walt,

Left to right across the bottom of the panel, what are the switches and rheostats? I can read the labels on about 3/4 of them, but...

MST MAG PMAG START AVX RADIO; STROBE WW/LDG NAV PITOT; FP FLAP TOGA; (DIMMERS )G3X GTN; PTT

I have a nearly identical panel (Dynon vs G5 as they weren't invented yet) but my radio stack is (top to bottom) audio panel, GTN650, radio, AP. I wanted the GPS higher in my field of view, and the AP closer to the engine controls/my hand. I was wondering what your calculus was on the order you have them in?

=Dave=
N102FM

Most airline guys are used to the mode control panels being on top, which is also the way I prefer it. I probably use the AP panel as much or more than the GTN. I find it easy to use the knobs/controls on the AP panel up high and the GTN touch screen easier to use lower where my hand is a bit more stable.
Below that is audio panel, then com 1 and com 2/GTN which is an intuitive location for those items.
Physically its also easier to install the shorter AP panel up high and the much longer GTN down low.

Last edited:
Good to know, my TOGA won't work without one. Thanks.

The 507 won't currently work with the 370's so if you need TOGA you will have to grab it from the GEA24 or GAD27.
When the new 370 software comes out that may change.

Last edited:
Great job Walt!!

What's the color code of the panel and a little off topic: I am planning classic CBs as well; -what is the minimum spacing horiz. and vertically between the center of the CB holes in the panel? Thanks!

Frequency push

Hi Walt. Looks great. Question: can you push or touch screen load frequencies to the Garmin radio. GTR 200 from the Gtn 650?

Great job Walt!!

What's the color code of the panel and a little off topic: I am planning classic CBs as well; -what is the minimum spacing horiz. and vertically between the center of the CB holes in the panel? Thanks!

Color-Flat black, will get you a measurement tomorrow.

Hi Walt. Looks great. Question: can you push or touch screen load frequencies to the Garmin radio. GTR 200 from the Gtn 650?

You can push freq's from the G3X to the GTR200, the touch added the feature to be able to push freqs from the G3X to the GTN as well.

No you cannot push freq's from the GTN to the GTR.

Beautiful panel, great work! Did you cut the panel in-house, or have it done elsewhere? Looking to do a similar upgrade in my RV-7A slider. Lead time for a full panel like that at Stein is longer than my impatience can endure.

Beautiful panel, great work! Did you cut the panel in-house, or have it done elsewhere? Looking to do a similar upgrade in my RV-7A slider. Lead time for a full panel like that at Stein is longer than my impatience can endure.

I have been working with Stein and team for many years, so I still have him do my CNC cutting of the blank panels, I send him the designs and he does the layout and cut.

This was my airplane. Needless to say, My Wife and I are over the moon happy. Despite being around aviation for 25 years, I had NO IDEA what kind of work / art Walt and his peers put into creating something like this. I keep telling Walt he needs to up his prices.

Last edited:
Back