What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ready for Leg&wheel fairings RV9A

ron sterba

Well Known Member
I built the gear fairings and are ready for the alignment procedure. Not getting it from plans. I bought the intersection fairings from Cleaveland Tools as a after market kit. Was wondering if anyone has made a video of tying the strings and clamping with fresh epoxy and cloth around gear leg clamps. Iam assuming once these are aligned and clamped into position I?ll be ready for the wheel pants. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks ....
Ron in Oregon
Two years of flying so far.

I'm waiting

I'm finishing up a 9A right now and am waiting to complete the main fairings and wheel pants until it's flying. I have the nose wheel fairings completed and painted.

I read somewhere that the alignment really affects the way it flys. My plan is to clamp on the gear fairings, test, add wheel fairings, test, and keep repeating until it seems to fly right before I spend all the time on intersection fairings and paint.

At this point they are just to the point that I can mount them on the plane. I used one of those laser levels, sawhorses, and string to get them to this point.

Thanks Mike. Yep the info is on pages 10-3 through 10-10. I may call Cleaveland Tools later today. Iam ready to go faster. My cruise is 170 mph at 7500’ at 2550 rpms with that Catto cruise prop.(3 blade is much smoother than two blade) So with the pants & leggings on it definitely I will smile bigger. I have been rereading the pages and I “think” I might be getting the concept. Ron ......... if I had to do it again I would have painted it when I built it. Iam so NOT looking forward to taking it apart to paint after two years of flying. Iam over the build part of it.

Indexing

Fairings Etc's. upper gear leg fairings index Van's gear leg fairings so no strings and plum bobs.

Steve

Back