What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote oil filter setups

stringfellow

I recently went down the rabbit hole of remote oil filter setups for my IO-540-C4B5, and in doing so have both learned a lot and raised some new questions.

Of course products like the Airwolf are available to the tune of $600, but there is also an entire world of compatible products available from the auto speed shops like Summit Racing and JEGS.

Has anyone else used an automotive brand from one of the race shops? Brands like Peterson, Earls, Moroso, etc make nice billet aluminum versions. The concept is identical, and most use AN fittings. The only constraints really are the use of 13/16-16 filter thread spec, and AN-8 fittings/hoses. I'm not sure that last one is really required other than for consistency with Lycoming sizes.

My 1976 IO-540-C4B5 came off an Aztec, and appears to have been equipped with the optional AC/OEM oil filter housing assembly. This includes the vernatherm and temp probe. The default setup was the oil screen housing. Both are shown on in the illustrated parts manual for narrow deck IO-540s.

My aim is to find a "block adapter" that threads onto the existing housing/oil filter adapter on the accessory case, then use a firewall-mounted adapter for the filter. It seems the products exist, the challenge is finding the right ones.

Anyone else done this?

The engine I bought out of a Mooney had a remote oil filter set up, I only have the part that bolts to the case, this adapter has the mounting hole for the vernatherm (sp) oil temp sensor, oil in and out. don't know the brand off hand, but it was on a certified plane.... sell?

Jegs filter adaptor

I bought the filter bracket and use NAPA 1515 filter. Custom machined an aluminum piece for Vernatherm and OT sensor for accessory case. Connected with TS Flightlines hoses and AN fittings. No leaks, no mess at filter change with filter on firewall hanging down at 45 degree angle.

I bought an inexpensive oil filter housing early in my build. I then realized that there was no way to tap into the circuit without custom machining an adapter. I have no mill, so I use the standard oil filter adapter.

Larry

ADC

ADC made the one I used on my Mooney and on my RV-8. I've got the firewall filter mount from a previous AirWolf installation and the ADC accessory case casting that has the in and out for the lines/fittings and the provision(threaded hole) for the Vernatherm. If anyone is interested in them, let me know what you have to trade.

I have a complete ADC set up for a Lycoming. I plan to use it on my new RV-6.

Back