What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV tailwheel steering link

I'm at the same point with my 7. Installing landing gear now and have a Bell Tailwheel. I like both options and both will give you good support of their product. Even though JD Air is in my area (PHX AZ) I am favoring the Rocket control arm due to the fact that it has a provision for a TW tiedown.

Rocket Steering Link

FWIW:

I have had the Rocket Steering Link installed since 10/2004 with 1550 hours of service and have had no problems with it. The control arm was replaced once during this time due to normal wear. At annual inspection the heat sleeve cover is replaced and the unit is lubricated per manufacturer instructions.

Tie down

Not sure I would use the steering arm as a tie down point but that is your choice. Then again, I'm a little biased:D

The JD air steering links are very streamlined and have a balanced spring system installed. Ready for shipping today!!

Lynx tailwheel springs

I had the Lynx tailwheel springs on my RV4. When I purchased the RV8, it had the stock springs. I purchased and installed the Rocket link. After a month or so, I removed the Rocket link and installed another set of Lynx springs.

I think what I didn't like about the hard link was that any time the tail wheel touched with any rudder deflection, I also had tail wheel deflection. That would result in a sometimes abrupt change in direction.

I install the Lynx springs with a bit of slack, so the first bit of rudder deflection does not move the tail wheel. Thus no abrupt tail movement at touchdown.

Just my impressions, having used both systems.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm thinking I go with the stock setup at first, then shift over if I still want.

Carl

This practice has been adopted by a few local guys. Sadly, it didn't save one 8 who ground looped his shortly after installing a link type single arm tailwheel later.
They give very positive control and people love the "feel". Many swear by them and have positive experiences. I suspect there are thousands of hours on them now and only a few instances of betrayal, which may or may not be the product.
However, each time I see an 8 ground loop, there is one common thread. I know Randy and he is one of the best sticks I know.
One of these fine people offered to send me their latest design to test for myself and comment after reading prior posts of mine cautioning folks about thier use. Sadly, they did not come through on that so I have yet to fly this design.
I believe the bigger issue with 8's and ground loops is gear alignment. If you start squirrelly, a more sensitive tailwheel set up is going to make it that much worse when things start to go "bad".
Just my two cents. I still want to try one on my 6, but I don't believe that is a fair comparison to the 8's geometry. The only model that seems to have this issue is the 8 from what I have seen reported here and from other highly experienced sources close to me.
Not bashing, just trying to help unravel what I think is a bit of a mystery.

Here's a few data points from a Rocket link vendor's 10 years of experience with the product:

1. The Rocket link was originally produced in Canada by Terry Jantzi. Wayne Hadath has been making them for the past 8 or 9 years.
  2. There are probably around 1000 out there in service. They are quite popular, rarely returned, and relatively trouble-free.
  3. The steering action of the links, regardless of who makes them as there are copies out there, is crisp. Some prefer that feel. Some don't.
  4. The action is slightly asymmetrical as pointed out by other posts. This shouldn't cause issues under normal ops with proper maintenance.
  5. The RV-8 is arguably the least friendly RV on the ground. Please don't shoot the messenger. It is what it is. Consider this when making your tailwheel steering decisions.

Related thoughts: The locking pin/control arm of any full swiveling, steerable tailwheel requires periodic maintenance regardless of the manufacturer. You're dragging it through all sorts of dirt and mud and it WILL wear out. The maintenance of your tailwheel is important. Don't neglect it.

There are many fine tailwheel products out there. As with any other option on your aircraft, it is up to you to find the right one for you.

BTW. your choice in tailwheel products won't keep you from making a bad landing, but not properly maintaining your tailwheel certainly can add to the excitement. Don't find out that you neglected the locking pin/control arm maintenance while you're on the runway. Check it a couple times a year, during each oil change is an easy way to make sure it's up to snuff. You gotta wait for the oil to drain anyway!

YMMV...

Springs

I much prefer relatively loose springs/chains on the 8. Much less tendency for abrupt directional changes during crosswind wheel landings as the tail is lowered onto the runway. The loose springs don't taxi as nice, but the better runway manners are worth the less crisp taxi to me.

It's probably all in what you get used to. Obviously mine has springs/chains combo and that's how I prefer it now.

RV-8

Main gear alignment is crucial on the RV-8, especially with the airfoil Grove option. I KNOW. With a Rocket Link, during Phase 1, I had several instances that were more than exciting. I did what anyone having issues did, sought out help from an experienced RVer. On a calm AM departure He and I started a departure and the RV-8 veered wildly to the right. We swapped positions and it repeated the turn with him as full power was applied. We taxied back and checked the toe in/out of the main gear, while everyone continued to blame the Rocket Link. The final set up was supervised by a Build Center in Georgia, but the gear alignment was never checked, by him or me. As we measured, we discovered to was not only off, but asymmetrically off, by a significant amount. I ordered shims, corrected the toe in/out and never had another issue with the Rocket Link or the Grove gear.

+1 to what Vince said. Measure and maintain.

Main gear alignment is crucial on the RV-8, especially with the airfoil Grove option. I KNOW. With a Rocket Link, during Phase 1, I had several instances that were more than exciting. I did what anyone having issues did, sought out help from an experienced RVer. On a calm AM departure He and I started a departure and the RV-8 veered wildly to the right. We swapped positions and it repeated the turn with him as full power was applied. We taxied back and checked the toe in/out of the main gear, while everyone continued to blame the Rocket Link. The final set up was supervised by a Build Center in Georgia, but the gear alignment was never checked, by him or me. As we measured, we discovered to was not only off, but asymmetrically off, by a significant amount. I ordered shims, corrected the toe in/out and never had another issue with the Rocket Link or the Grove gear.

+1 to what Vince said. Measure and maintain.

100% and +2 for Vince. Well stated.
One of my high time 8 neighbors, 1500 hours or so in the 8 and 60 years of flying, would not let anyone fly his 8 due to the ground handling on roll out. He has the link. After a lot of puzzling, he re-shimmed and re-aligned his gear and all is right again in his world.
If you are going to use a link on the 8, make sure your gear alignment is sorted out first. Loose chains will give you more tolerance, but if it isn't right, it isn't right.

Keep in mind that there are two different issues with regard to choosing to use chains or a direct link....
One is the issue being discussed here.... higher steering sensitivity.

The other is what was discussed in the thread I linked too earlier in this thread.....
The much higher probability of a surprise / inadvertent free swivel release of the tail wheel at a most inopportune time because of the asymmetric steering angle usually caused by the steering link.

It is not a for sure thing that this will occur on all installations, but it has been discovered on lots of them (some with unfortunate results).

Rocket steering arm

I had my steering arm somehow go “overcenter” once on my RV8 in a crosswind landing. My rudder pedals were completely locked out and I almost lost control of my plane. Somehow I regained control using maximum brake and skidding rubber. I have a 3B now with the Rocket and looking for a stock spring setup to convert back to, so if anyone has that and wants to sell the stock springs I’d be interested !
Cheers

I had my steering arm somehow go “overcenter” once on my RV8 in a crosswind landing. My rudder pedals were completely locked out and I almost lost control of my plane. Somehow I regained control using maximum brake and skidding rubber. I have a 3B now with the Rocket and looking for a stock spring setup to convert back to, so if anyone has that and wants to sell the stock springs I’d be interested !
Cheers

I still have a set of stock springs. PM me if you're serious.

Stock

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm thinking I go with the stock setup at first, then shift over if I still want.

Carl

Having just started flying a RV4 I set up with the stock, I think that is a wise choice. I like having the small bit of play allowing rudder input without involving the Tailwheel, but I still have very positive maneuvering for ground operations. I continue to read the links of other options but will continue with the stock for now.

Back