What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avblend or Camguard?

Carlos151

Well Known Member
Friend
For all you chemists out there, I'm just curious as to the differences, benefits and/or drawbacks of two different oil additives besides the +/- $10 price point difference. Avblend or Camguard?

They perform different functions.

Cam-guard is to prevent corrosion of the cam during periods of in-activity.

Avblend is to reduce surface roughness, which reduces wear and improves ring-wall sealing.

From the Avebend ligature:
"AVBLEND uses your aircraft's engine oil as a carrying agent to reach metal working surfaces inside your engine. When your engine reaches operating temperature, AVBLEND soaks into the metal surfaces. Once AVBLEND has penetrated the internal components of an engine, the parts are continuously lubricated and cleaned. Continuous use of AVBLEND helps reduce future harmful carbon deposit buildup.
If you were to look at the metal in your engine through a microscope, you would see that the surface is far from smooth. You would see peaks and valleys, blunt and sharp edges. Your aircraft engine's oil moves over the surface doing its best to provide lubrication. However, the oil molecules are too large to provide penetration in the small grooves and protect the entire surface of your engine. AVBLEND's depth-soaking molecules are small enough to fill in these tiny nooks and crannies and penetrate deep into the metal, thus providing better lubrication with moving pieces. Plus, AVBLEND cleans the surface from harmful deposits."

I think the consensus is that aircraft engine tolerances are not tight enough for this technology to have any appreciable improvement in life or performance.

lubes

They sure cost more than Marvel Mystery oil. I use Camguard and sleep better at night. And if I am awake, there is always KY.

They perform different functions.

Cam-guard is to prevent corrosion of the cam during periods of in-activity.

Avblend is to reduce surface roughness, which reduces wear and improves ring-wall sealing.

From the Avebend ligature:
"AVBLEND uses your aircraft's engine oil as a carrying agent to reach metal working surfaces inside your engine. When your engine reaches operating temperature, AVBLEND soaks into the metal surfaces. Once AVBLEND has penetrated the internal components of an engine, the parts are continuously lubricated and cleaned. Continuous use of AVBLEND helps reduce future harmful carbon deposit buildup.
If you were to look at the metal in your engine through a microscope, you would see that the surface is far from smooth. You would see peaks and valleys, blunt and sharp edges. Your aircraft engine's oil moves over the surface doing its best to provide lubrication. However, the oil molecules are too large to provide penetration in the small grooves and protect the entire surface of your engine. AVBLEND's depth-soaking molecules are small enough to fill in these tiny nooks and crannies and penetrate deep into the metal, thus providing better lubrication with moving pieces. Plus, AVBLEND cleans the surface from harmful deposits."

I think the consensus is that aircraft engine tolerances are not tight enough for this technology to have any appreciable improvement in life or performance.

So, presuming the products work as advertised, could there be a benefit to using *both* at the same time?

AVBLEND markets as an anti-corrosion solution as well.

From ACS:

Rust and Corrosion
Most aircraft owners, quite simply, don't fly their airplanes enough. These periods of inactivity can cause irreversible rust and corrosion which can lead to premature replacement of expensive internal engine parts. The camshaft (below left) shows significant rust and corrosion damage which resulted in premature replacement. The camshaft (below right) was protected by AVBLEND and made it to TBO still within factory limits.

Adding additive into logbook entry?

When including an additive like Camguard during an oil change, would that go in the engine logbook entry (alongside the "7 qts. Phillips X/C 20W50," for example)?

Yes it does. At least I do. I note the oil quantity added along with the camguard quantity.

Vic

Avblend

I went to a forum hosted by Mike Busch a few years ago at OSH. The forum was on "Engine Oil" which was informative. He said the tests he knew of showed no benefit from using Avblend, but Camguard he used due to benefits explained already. He most likely received Cam Guard from Aircraft Specialty. Taken with a grain of salt of course.

Last edited:
anybody notice elevated levels of zinc while using camguard? I'm using Aeroshell15/50 and camguard in my RV8/O-360, and my oil analyst are coming back with elevated zinc levels, but all other wear metals normal to low. The engine has 300hrs since new and flys several times a week. The lab says that they don't know whats causing this. I'm also runing an air/oil seperater with return line for an additional data point.

Dave

Yes, it is the zinc in the camguard. You will also notice it if you are using Aeroshell Plus. It has the extra zinc in it as well.

Vic

Back