What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

co-pilot leg room advice needed

sgubser

I'm New Here
Hello everyone,

I am considering buying or building an RV7 or RV8. One challenge is my wife / co pilot has a bad left leg. She really must have this leg elevated when sitting for long periods of time. Something like it sitting on a footstool when sitting on a couch.

For the RV-7, I've thought I could make the main pilot seat on the right side of the aircraft. Then possibly have some type of leg rest along the left side of the cockpit.

Do you see this as a possibility? If so, I'd look into the RV7 more and find one to look at ( but I thought I'd ask the question here first).

For the RV8, the question is more simple. Can the rear passenger straighten the left leg out on that side of the pilots seat?

My wife is 5'10 with a 36" inseam.

Any advice or help appreciated.

Steve

I would think something could easily be made from either the side wall, or the center area where fuel pump/heater vents are you could mount arm. On my plane the rudder pedals are pushed as far forward as possible as I am tall myself and the original builder was the same.

No idea on 8 rear seat room.

What you describe m-I-g-h-t be do-able .... But I'm not certain of that. I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam and I do not have comfortable leg room on the L side. My rudder pedals are all the way forward. I cannot stretch either leg out straight without encountering the rudder pedals. (I also have my seat in the max aft position.). I'd hate to see you buy an RV to find that accommodating your wife will not work.

You could easily construct a leg support extending to starboard off the center-right floor stiffener; probably not too much more difficulty hinging it to flip over to center for easier exit. The typical fuel injection center housing restricts available room more than the flat-ish floor of a carby engine. Engine control cable clearance is a minor issue. Or just load a foot stool and figure a way to restrain it during flight. You sit fairly flat, anyway. You could go to the extreme of cutting off the rudder bars (so no right brakes, either) but would have to reinforce the remaining outer rudder "post" attached to the rudder cable. You will have plenty of room for her dimensions with the bars full forward. How would that position fit you?

The 8 locks you down. Entry and exit are much more difficult with the front seat between your legs.

John Siebold
Wife with a bad knee and hip.

Making up a leg rest should be easy; however, depending on the nature of her issue, you may want to give serious consideration to the likelihood of her getting in and out. Any RV is difficult to enter and exit. As much as you may want one, you might be better served by a Cessna if she has difficulty with her leg.

On long trips I often place my left foot on top of the rudder pedal torque tube. If you do not have anything obstructing the area immediately above it this makes a great foot rest (RV7A).

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Councelor

In my 6A, the battery is mounted on the floor in between the rudder pedals.. I'll sometimes rest my foot on top of the battery box. Like someone else said, the bigger issue would be getting in and out of the plane.

Any advice or help appreciated.
Semi-serious suggestion:

Buy an RV-3 instead. Use the difference in purchase price to pay for commercial flights for your wife to join you when you go cross-country?

Bonus: She can carry your baggage. :)

Back