What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight without empennage fairing

Strikhedonia

Well Known Member
I need to send my empennage fairing back to the painters but I have some trips planned. I'm thinking it is safe to fly without this fairing but I thought best to ask the brain trust, what does everyone think?

No!

Just buy another one and fit it to fly in the mean time. I wouldnt want to be the test pilot for that!

I need to send my empennage fairing back to the painters but I have some trips planned. I'm thinking it is safe to fly without this fairing but I thought best to ask the brain trust, what does everyone think?

I think it's a really risky thing to do. Airflow is strange, you don't want to test this, particularly with your family on board.

I'm thinking I would treat that as a Phase I opportunity. You are significantly altering the airflow over a very sensitive control area.

Hard no.

I'd jury-rig one from scrap metal and duct tape before I flew with that piece missing, even without my family aboard.

No. Changes most all of the V speed numbers and flight dynamics. Bad idea.

The issue is I fly weekly and have long cross countries every 2-3 weeks and I don't want to risk the painters taking a long time. $170 (with shipping) for a new fairing it was worth it to not have my plane down.

Back