What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding Cabin Heat to RV3?

SAFS

I'm New Here
Looking at a 1993 RV3 that doesn’t have cabin heat. How much work is it to install heat in a build after the fact? Cost/labor hours? Thanks in advance!

Super easy and cheap. A cable and a firewall valve. Looks like you're in FL so you could get away with not using a heat muff. Just pull heated cowling air in and dump on your feet. That's all I had in my -3. Was built that way and 2K hours was still the same.

Attachments

• DSCN2630.JPG
    DSCN2630.JPG
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 79
Electric heat

Another easy solution or addition is an electric heated motorcycle jacket. We put a plug on my wife’s 3 and she can plug in and get instantly toasty. Gloves plug into the ends of the jacket sleeves also.

Super easy and cheap. A cable and a firewall valve. Looks like you're in FL so you could get away with not using a heat muff. Just pull heated cowling air in and dump on your feet. That's all I had in my -3. Was built that way and 2K hours was still the same.

Thanks for the info. I live in FL but this plane is in Colorado and has to go back to NY State. I’m just the ferry pilot checking it out for a friend of mine.

+1 on Mr. Marshall’s suggestion. To make it even more effective, aim a 2” scat tube at the back of the oil cooler. No fancy bracket required as it can be zip tied in place.
Also, I highly recommend a test flight and then weather stripping up as many canopy drafts as you can.
Good Luck!

Back