What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1630 miles, 1 RV-8, two pilots...one day!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
When the weather is right, ya' gotta make the best of it! Louise and I left Houston at 0610 CDT and arrived at Aurora (OR) about 1830 PDT. 1630 miles - had to deviate for low clouds/mountain obscuration in in New Mexico (went south around Santa Fe then around through Farmington to Cortez for fuel), and made an extra stop in Clovis when the fuel pump at Muleshoe was empty - but other than that, it was just a long day of flying. It gets bumpy across the Basin and Range in the afternoon, but the views of southeastern Oregon were magnificent, and it''s nice to be out of Humid Houston!

A few days here, then down to Reno....

Outstanding! Like we say in Oregon, gotta make hay when the weather's good!
Welcome to UAO! Sun you should run over to Hood River, 4S2. You won't believe the museum on the field, Rivals the Smithsonian & Evergreen for antique collection. It's a sleeping jewel! A must see to believe!

Last edited:
Paul and Louise are qualified for long haul international routes.

That flight is equivalent to New York-Rome non stop. A 2 day rest is most appropriate. :)

1901 miles, 1 RV-6, 1 pilot, one day.........

Last spring, my longest cross-country in one day:

Left Great Exuma, Bahamas, at 9:30 a.m. Made three intermediate stops for gas and customs, landing at home (Northwest Kansas) about 8:30 p.m. Thirteen hours total time, that included three gas stops, customs, and two quick meals!

MYEG (Georgetown, Great Exuma- Bahamas)-KFPR (Fort Pierce, Florida)-KCTY (Cross City, Florida)-KTKX (Kennet, Missouri)-KGLD (Goodland, Kansas)------1901 miles

The wife was along, but is not a pilot.

It was a long day, but not bad enough that I wouldn't do it again... From Rosie: Ditto!
:)
Jim Baker

Last edited by a moderator:
Personal Best

The best I got, single pilot, was 1541... on 4/30/07

KFPR KALX KFYV KGLD, but Jim Baker and and Rosie were along on that one too. Looks like I now have a new challenge to meet! :cool:

Last edited:
1269 - 1 6A - 1- 1 - 1

Siskiyou County, CA (KSIY) - Auburn CA, (KAUN) - Hemet, CA (KHMT) - Oroville, CA (KOVE) - Siskiyou County, CA (KSIY)

1269 miles, 1 RV6A, 1 pilot, 1 day , 1 State.

I'm sure there is a Texan out there that can one-up the one state record.

Last edited:
I wonder....

That is quite a bit of flying Paul. Sounds fun.

I've done 1480 miles on my motorcycle in 24 hours and have been thinking of how far I could go in my -10 in 24 hours.
I should be able to do 5, 4 hour legs pretty easy which would give me around 3000 - 3200 miles.

I gotta try it someday.

You got me beat.
I did 1535 in 2010.
Brooksville, FL, (KBKV) > Cheyenne,WY (KCYS) with one fuel stop. 8 1/2 hours

You got me beat.
I did 1535 in 2010.
Brooksville, FL, (KBKV) > Cheyenne,WY (KCYS) with one fuel stop. 8 1/2 hours

Dan,
Thank You for giving us your waypoints without having to look them up.
In fact, I don't look them up. I just pass on the post. As I am sure many do.

I always had a plan to one day fly from Calgary to my home town in New Brunswick in one day. It is about 2000nm the long way, staying close to civilization. I know it is total doable, family not in tow, they would not like that kind of a day.:eek: I have flown it 3 times now and know where the quickest turn arounds are. It is about 11.5hrs flying, just a matter of watching the weather to pick the right day. Two stops is all I would need and technically I could do it with one stop thanks to the AUX tanks, low on fuel over heavily wooded country is not my idea of fun.

I will try it one day:D

Back