What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Key West Florida

dbuds2

Well Known Member
Hoping to find a fellow RV-ator at KEYW that has overnight room for a RV-8, I'm trying to avoid the very high charges from Signature just to land and park.

Out of curiousity - what are the charges? I went there for lunch about a year ago and don't remember the cost being something that stood out.

There are not many hangers at KEYW. AOPA has been fighting for years with the FAA and Signature to reduce the landing and parking fees. A bunch of RVs from Naples flew down for breakfast a couple of weeks ago. $34 for two hours and they did nothing. It's a federally funded public use airport and Signature continues to screw pilots and the FAA lets them do it.

Yikes!

I guess my plan to visit Key West someday for an overnight has just been changed to never going to happen.

Have you looked into perhaps flying into Marathon (MTH) and renting a car? It's about an hour drive from Marathon to Key West.

Link: https://www.airnav.com/airport/KMTH

great idea, and one of the most beautiful drives. love marathon airport.
IMG-1215.jpg

Last edited:
Hangers are like fishing spots in the Keys. Nobody gives them up. Call Marathon General Aviation FBO and ask if they have space in there hanger. It will cost you some bucks. My RV stays on the ramp. I have a good Bruce canopy cover I keep on it. KMTH overnight fee is 15 dollars a night. They have both truck and self service fuel. They will shuttle you for free locally to restaurants or hotels. You can get a car at the FBO for 40 dollars a day or check on line for car rental prices at Marathon airport. The FBO will shuttle you to the terminal and sometimes you can do better on rental pricing on line. Its an hour drive from KMTH to Key West, but a great drive. Most scenic part of driving the keys. The Marathon FBO folks are great. They bend over backwards for you. At Key West, if your not burning jet A, you got nothing coming. Tight ramp space and not so caring ramp ops.

Last edited:
I guess this thread means that being a Signature Customer at Asheville KAVL does rate for something even though I try not to think about the hanger rent :eek:. Fortunately I have always had a hangarmate to share the pain. A Q200 at the moment so the fit is easy. There are a number of airports that I use that are Signature FBO. Key West being one. The visit charges are negligible, really.
Same with Norfolk KORF to see the grandkids. Usually get a fuel discount too.

So... Key West. My wife really likes it. We usually stay at the Doubletree that is a bit north of the east end of the runway. Free transportation to/from airport and a very frequent shuttle that goes to Duval St. so no car rental has been needed for our visits.

Last time we went, we did the boat ride out to the Tortugas. Enjoyed it and learned some interesting history. :)

Last edited:
You could fly into Marathon and talk to the guys at the EAA chapter/museum. I have family with a home in Key Colony Beach and while I didn't fly in, I did visit the museum. Struck up a conversation with one of the guys and he said when I fly down, they'd put my plane in the museum while I was there if I didn't mind people gawking at it. He said they'd rope it off and it would be safe.

Haven't taken them up on it yet, but you might give that a try.:D

Also great option is a short term vacation rental. There is a company in Key West called Last Key Reality. They have a WEB site where you can check out the properties. You get top shelf service with them. They have short term rentals from Cudjoe Key to Key West. If your with another couple or with the kids it is the best way to go. As far as the EAA chapter in Marathon. I’m a member with that chapter and my plane is outside on the ramp. The museum is open most days so I’m not sure I would want a bunch of tourists walking around my plane anyway.

Back