What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Log Entry Requirement for ADS-B Installation

Noah

Well Known Member
Can anybody point me to the requirements for a log entry for a new ADS-B installation in an experimental aircraft? Is the PAPR test REQUIRED BY REGULATION prior to making a log entry or is it just a nice to have, to provide confirmation that everything works as intended? Is there such a thing as a "Return to Service Procedure" for an experimental install?

TIA.

Last edited:
Dave wants to remind everyone once you get a "pass" on your check (no red boxes) be sure to sign off your ADSB installation and also state the installation and test flight was IAW 91.225 and 91.227 and the date of the test pass. Print off the test pass and keep it in your records "just in case".

The above is a quote from a recent thread on Uavionix ADSB. Dave is apparently a rep for them.

(PS: Hi Noah!)

Dan D.

Excellent point. I went back and found my first clean PAPR from middle of 2017 in my emails and stuck it in the aircraft folder. :cool:

In the TC world after a good PAPR or ground check, they want to see the following statement "return to service statement":

The installed ADSB out system was shown to meet the equipment performance requirements of 14 CFR 91.227.

The only place I have seen ?return to service? is in FAR Part 43 which does not apply to experimental aircraft.

Dan

And, like many things in type-certified aviation maintenance, the FAA wants the aircraft returned to service before it flies, but it also wants the IA to sign off that the system checks out properly with precise language. Which should come first? It's a chicken and the egg thing.

From the FAA ADSB policy dated March, 2016;
1. The ADS-B OUT alteration must be documented in the aircraft maintenance record per section 43.9(a) and include the statement, ?'The installed ADS-BOUT system was shown to meet the equipment performance requirements of 14 CFR section 91.227."

Might be a good starting point.

AC43-9C covers the general Part 91 logbook entry requirements.

From the FAA ADSB policy dated March, 2016;
1. The ADS-B OUT alteration must be documented in the aircraft maintenance record per section 43.9(a) and include the statement, ?'The installed ADS-BOUT system was shown to meet the equipment performance requirements of 14 CFR section 91.227."

Might be a good starting point.

AC43-9C covers the general Part 91 logbook entry requirements.

Thanks for that - about to have an echoUAT installed. :D

I submitted a 337 when I installed the Navworx in my Navion back in 2015. Of course the 337 does not apply to EAB but you should still have a maintenance record for the install before it flies.

I have a related question. We are about to install ADS-B out on an RV-7 hangared at a Class C airport. Since we won't know if everything is truly okay until we run a PAPR report, do we need to get an ADAPT exemption to take off and fly the compliance flight? If it all works fine then the ADAPT would be an unnecessary step. If it doesn't pass the ADAPT would suffice as an approved exemption for the non-compliant test flight. Or perhaps we should just go for it and if the PAPR report comes back non-compliant we could file a NASA form. Curious about this.

Back