What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing the horizontal RV-9

Soarandtow

I have the front spare drilled and bolted.
Slide the 11/32 bit under the rear and clamping down makes the rear spare lower than the front by a few mm. I'm measuring at the most rear and most forward rib tooling holes is this the correct places to measure from?
I can make it even by removing a little clamp pressure.
Also the plans don't give a exact location to drill the rear spare holes, should they just be centered or have I missed the hole location in the plans.
Any help on this would be great. Don't won't to have the horz incident off

11/32"

I used the 11/32" bit between the top deck and rear spar as per plans. I didn't compare tooling hole distances. The spar shouldn't move up/down as clamp pressure changes so make sure the hor bottom skin isn't sitting on the top deck and creating a "spring" effect.

Trace bar edges on the spar then select locations to give proper edge clearances for the bolt holes. Pilot holes through spar, clamp back on fuse with the bit under the rear spar and hor square on the fuse, then backdrill through the F711c.

Good luck

Mine needed a .020" shim on the rear side of the left F-711C bar for stab to clamp up level and square. I used 2 drill bits to set the rear spar height, 1on each side and placed between the deck rivets.

Don Broussard

RV 9 Rebiuld in Progress

Last edited:
If I am understanding your initial question correctly, the rear spar mounting locations are called out on print 21. The dimensions for the upper hole is called out for F711 I think it is. I had pre-drilled those holes to #30 prior to mounting the F711 bars to the bulkhead. I just back drilled the two holes into the HS rear spar at the time of mounting. I did not clamp the HS down, but did bolt the front spar in place. My tooling holes were the same height above the rear deck, although it was an interesting measurement to take. Good luck.

I did clamp the F711 bars to the rear spar prior to drilling, and made my initial holes at #30, cleco'ing as I drilled. I put one hole in each side, measured to make sure, then drilled out the other. Then I went back and drilled to #12, replacing holes with bolts. Remember to check your triangulation measurements from a single point to each end of the HS. I used a particular rivet near the firewall to make sure the HS was square with the thrust line.

Last edited:
Back