What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Get a dehumidifier for your cockpit !

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
Get yourself a cheap dehumidifier for your cockpit, where you have those expensive radios, to keep them dry, to keep those seats smelling fresh, and to keep the leather in top shape.

It's unbelievable the amount of moisture in there, and I live in East Texas which isn’t thought of being that humid, but all you need is a day raining outside and look at all the water my $23 dehumidifier removed !!!!

Notice in this first picture the clear sky so it was just the day earlier we had rain

Now notice how the sky in this picture the following week is still overcast. It was 1 day raining and the next day humid overcast

All I did was place the dehumidifier on the cabin floor, plug it in, and close the canopy for 24 hours. In fact my model is 12 volts so if you want to (and your plane is on a battery tender) just remove the 120ac adapter plug and connect it right there into your plane ! It's not even an expensive one either ! It sells for over $100 at Home Depot but I bought mine on eBay for $23 a few months ago. Just yesterday I saw it for $25 but the price fluctuates a lot

Right now I went to check and that one is gone and now the price ranges from $41 to $120 for the exact same model, so do your search for the best price, but I know this model works. Model : Vremi 1 Pint Compact Portable Dehumidifier - For Small Spaces Up To 150 Sq Ft

Vremi also makes bigger ones with more capacity that look the same online in the pictures so read carefully because this one fits perfectly in my RV-8 and works like a charm, so no need to buy anything bigger.

UPDATE :
For those worried I'm sucking air into the non sealed cockpit, maybe, but once it dries up a little outside then, even if it were sucking in air, it pulls almost nothing out of the air inside so it'll always be drier inside than outside. To clarify a little bit more, the dehumidifier pump isn't that strong so it doesn't produce that much pressure, so it's just recirculating the air inside and removing the humidity from that air.

Last edited:
in my experience, the life of home style dehumidifier is about 2 yrs max. what about a cockpit heater that heats your cockpit about 10F. getting the air temp up 10F will prevent condensation. maybe a light bulb or something like that.

in my experience, the life of home style dehumidifier is about 2 yrs max. what about a cockpit heater that heats your cockpit about 10F. getting the air temp up 10F will prevent condensation. maybe a light bulb or something like that.

Interesting thought. If that worked wouldn?t it just create the water now on the outside and in the crevices where it could cause corrosion?

a home dehumidifier won't do much until the temps are greater than 50 deg. the coils will ice up.
i am really curious to see what the rel. hum. in the cockpit is compared to rel. hum. outside cockpit. got a couple humidistats?

Dehumidifier

Neighboring hangar burned up his Corvallis when his dehumidifier caught fire

Neighboring hangar burned up his Corvallis when his dehumidifier caught fire
Could happen. Some people lose their engines on take off. Things happen but you don?t stop doing some as long as you know the risk and others you take precautions.

Dehumidifier

When my plane finally moves to the airport I will use something. Humidity can be terrible down here in the swamp.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Back