What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFP Injection/Lower Cowl

Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

I recently bought David Domeier's -7a which has Don's AFP F.I. setup with ram air. David modified the lower cowling to provide clearance for the alternate filtered air system and I am considering trying to make same a little more aerodynamic. If anyone that has this same system could post here or send me pix and/or explanation of how they did their cowling I would really appreciate it.

I'd kind of like to have an idea of what I'm doing before I start hacking away at the fiberglass.:confused:

[email protected]

Hi Folks,

I recently bought David Domeier's -7a which has Don's AFP F.I. setup with ram air. David modified the lower cowling to provide clearance for the alternate filtered air system and I am considering trying to make same a little more aerodynamic. If anyone that has this same system could post here or send me pix and/or explanation of how they did their cowling I would really appreciate it.

I'd kind of like to have an idea of what I'm doing before I start hacking away at the fiberglass.:confused:

[email protected]

Rod Bower has a couple video's on his web site: http://www.ramairforhomebuilts.com/products.htm

This are for the RV-10, but it will give you an idea on one way to tackle the problem.

Rod Bowers Ram Air was a easy install in my smooth bottom cowl with Don's AFP injection
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z343/rbpcool/securedownload.jpg

[email protected][/QUOTE]

Thanks to...

Bob, Ronald, Mike, great info and pix, just what I was looking for. Also, just bought a Bowers Ramair on B-Stormers. I'll be hacking fiberglass soon.

Bob, Ronald, Mike, great info and pix, just what I was looking for. Also, just bought a Bowers Ramair on B-Stormers. I'll be hacking fiberglass soon.

Give Rod a call if you didn't already pick up one of his cowl mods for your model RV. It's much easier than fabricating one from scratch.

bob

David had installed an Airflow Performance alternate air duct?

http://www.airflowperformance.com/html/cat_19.html

I did, Dan.

First install was a scat duct source from an aluminum filter box at the standard left intake which I did not like because I simply do not have the skills to make it as you would. (I saw your creation at Don Rivera's FI 101 week end course, it was excellent and he commented on the great flow performance of it)

So, instead of filter box I attached a 45? rubber elbow to the alternate intake part and a K&N cone filter to it, all internal to the engine compartment. It worked well, could not ice up, but lost some power during take off and on hot days.
No big deal with the powerful Lycoming, as soon as I was clear of the runway it was direct ram air into the engine and we were really cooking. :)

So, instead of filter box I attached a 45? rubber elbow to the alternate intake part and a K&N cone filter to it, all internal to the engine compartment. It worked well, could not ice up, but lost some power during take off and on hot days.

Thanks Dave.

Jerry, your filtered performance will probably be reduced compared to what David has installed. When filtered you'll have the same hot air source, plus you lose pressure opening the flaps on the canister.

Hi Dan,

Yes, I understand that. Someplace on Rod's site he mentions those flow numbers, maybe in a video so I'll call him tomorrow and ask what the drop is among other questions as to install, etc.

I have read a ton of your stuff on working with fiberglass and hope some of it stuck. You make it look easy.

Bowers Ram Air

Yes, I understand that. Someplace on Rod's site he mentions those flow numbers, maybe in a video so I'll call him tomorrow and ask what the drop is among other questions as to install, etc.

Found it on Bowers' first video. He says 400 CFM with ram air open, 388 CFM shut on a flow bench. I think it was AFP's. When/if I get it installed, I'll test it up high and see what the performance #'s are open and closed.

Back