What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

0-320 Crankshaft Seal

Ben R

Well Known Member
I've been getting a little stream of oil on the cowling of my -6. It's not very much but after pulling the cowling off yesterday, it appears that my crankshaft seal is leaking. I've read about a dozen good posts on the problem and repair, but I'm having trouble figuring out where to buy a replacement seal. I'm certain that I ordered one from ACS in the past for a different aircraft, but all I see now are seals for Continentals and smaller Lycomings. I'm looking for the one piece seal. Any suggestions, part numbers???

Thanks,

Ben

seal

AERO in ST. Louis area, Dart Aircraft in Waco, lots of others, any of the engine shops, Mattituck etc.

LW13792 is the one piece nose seal (AE13792, SL13792). Might help to "scratch in" the diagonal slinger grooves while you're at it.

Seal options

The sl13792 is the one piece seal with a small lip in the outside edge that will slip into a groove in the front of the case. You can glue the new seal in with pliobond. The part number of the seal should be on the front of your current seal you have in your engine. You can also use the sl11997 split seal that also has the lip but it has a steel band that acts as the spring built into it. It is much eaiser to install but you have a slightly better chance of it leaking again.

Jesse Robinson

LW13792 is correct

Charlie,
It's an 0-320 E2A.
Ben

Ben the LW13792 that Dave and Jesse both quoted is the correct part for your engine. FYI, if you like, send me a private message with your email address. I'll send you a copy of the parts catalog for your engine. The SL on Jesse's part number simply means it's a Superior Air Parts part, as compared to a genuine Lycoming part.
Charlie

Back