What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 short field ops

Comments from the peanut gallery...if you're gonna post something like this :) ...He could have touched down a good bit slower and been more precise with his touchdown point. Especially for the second landing it looked like he touched down in a level (fast) wheelie attitude about 100' past the threshold of usable length. He could have made a slower approach with power, then pulled the power off while touching down precisely past the end of the strip, as slow as practical (3-point) and then pushing it over onto the wheels for max braking. Good that he was practicing at a strip with a clear departure should he have botched one.

He could have made a slower approach with power, then pulled the power off while touching down precisely past the end of the strip .

This is a good point as I was practicing my short field landing and pulled the power just a tad too soon, causing a hard landing that was followed by a go-around. Just one more reason why I need to practice :)

Comments from the peanut gallery...if you're gonna post something like this :) ...He could have touched down a good bit slower and been more precise with his touchdown point. Especially for the second landing it looked like he touched down in a level (fast) wheelie attitude about 100' past the threshold of usable length. He could have made a slower approach with power, then pulled the power off while touching down precisely past the end of the strip, as slow as practical (3-point) and then pushing it over onto the wheels for max braking. Good that he was practicing at a strip with a clear departure should he have botched one.
Yeah, I thought the touchdown attitude looked a bit flat (as opposed to a nose-high 3-point attitude.) Still a shorter strip than I'd be comfortable with....maybe that's my clue to practice more. :)

Poor airplane.
Agreed - that landing gear (grove) seems to be getting a regular workout.

Given his tail position at the first landing (low, indicating little excess energy) and nice touchdown point (looks to be within 30ft or something like that) I think we are sounding a bit harsh in the reviews of his landings.

I pull my craft in with power myself, but from a safety point of view it is not always the best solution.

jm2c

Last edited:
Given his tail position at the first landing (low, indicating little excess energy) and nice touchdown point (looks to be within 30ft or something like that) I think we are sounding a bit harsh in the reviews of his landings.

First one was OK, second one not so much. Mainly it shows inconsistency of technique. I'm not trying to knock him, but this video was presented in the context of short field landing critique. #2 would have been a fine landing at a county airport. Regardless of whether you normally fly power-on or off approaches, serious and accurate short-field work done with any consistency requires power and an approach made much slower than you'd normally fly power-off. Again, post video, expect comments from the peanut gallery. :) If you're looking for folks to tell you how great you are, then you need to get into airshow flying. :D

I pull my craft in with power myself, but from a safety point of view it is not always the best solution.

Are you talking about short-field work or a normal landing? Again, unless you're doing max performance short-field work, there's no need to carry power on approach in an RV...or almost any other SEL airplane.

It depends...

My home strip is currently 1500' usable with obstacles on both ends, which gives you an "opportunity to excel" on every approach and landing. My experience shows most people fly final too fast, over correct on obstacle clearance and equate touchdown point correction to pitch. A short field landing is very similar to a carrier approach, proper glide-path, descent angle and power vice pitch for TD point corrections.

If you practice flying final using AOA (as in the F16), max performance on final requires power to maintain approach angle to control your TD point. For a power off approach the pitch angle is lower on approach however to touchdown on "brick one" you have to establish proper AOA prior to TD point. AOA not airspeed for FAS. This technique works for every aircraft, maximum/optimum lift coefficient to touchdown. http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/liftreserve-pg2.htm

However, when your available runway length is less than 1000', you do what you have to do:)

Smokey
HR2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XYFcw1c-Oo&feature=related
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5226677992630020282#docid=-7906213544677169405

Last edited:
Back