What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Excellent Support from Grand Rapids Technologies

skylor

Well Known Member
All,

I have been meaning to share my experiences in dealing with Grand Rapids Technologies service and support for some time, but I'm finally getting around to doing it.

I originally purchased a 3 display GRT Horizon 1 EFIS system + EIS for use in my RV-8 back in 2006. Well, since I'm a slow builder, I didn't get my plane completed until this year. My display setup consists of 2 displays mounted in the instrument panel and the 3rd display installed in the back seat for the passenger.

Anyway, I've had my wiring pretty much complete since early 2009 and everything initially worked great. However, earlier this year (March I think) one of my 2 front displays started misbehaving and would sometimes go into a continuous reboot cycle. After some trouble shooting, I removed the display and further bench tested in at home. The problem was intermittent, but I was definitely able to get the display fail outside of the aircraft with nothing but 12V DC power hooked up, so I called GRT and they told me to send it in.

The day that UPS delivered my display to GRT, Mark called to tell me that they received it, but couldn't get it fail. As I started to explain that the problem was intermittent but definitely the display, Mark reassured me that there was nothing to worry about because a brand new display was on its way to me, no charge! This was a system purchased over 3 1/2 years prior, although it had never flown yet. Now that is what I call excellent service!

Furthermore, every time that I have called or e-mailed GRT with questions, their response has always been prompt and extremely helpful.

I now have 27.2 hours on my RV-8, and the GRT equipment has been absolutely flawless and a joy to fly with.

Skylor Piper
RV-8,
Recently Completed Phase 1

p.s. I do not work for, invest in, or otherwise have any financial interest in Grand Rapids Technologies. I'm simply a very happy customer.

I concur

I have found that this is the "typical" customer service of GRT. I purchased my GRT Horizon in 2006 and since have 800+ hrs on it. A few weeks ago my magnetometer failed. Initially Mark had me check the ground wire (according to him magnetometer does not fail often). After I reported back to him that ground was not the problem he had me send the unit back. He bench tested it then sent me a new one free of charge. You can guess what I am going to put in my RV10.

This is why GRT keeps getting my business. They did things for me I never would expect from an 'ordinary' company: Following (very) odd shipping instructions, additions to nav db, special requests etc. And the best of all: They actually return phonecalls as promised :) The last you could argue should be there by default, but my 'real world' exp. shows else at other companies.

GRT Customer support

We recently bought a plane with a 2 screen H1 setup. We added an 696 and could not get the AP to follow the course. Every single time I called GRT someone was there to speak with me. It took us about 5 session but they finally figured out that the AP was wired wrong and now we are rolling.

I am sold on the product and the service. Great company. looking forward to upgrading in the future.

Bill

I am sold on the product and the service. Great company. looking forward to upgrading in the future.

Bill

When you upgrade with GRT you will be amazed. I have done more upgrades on my multiple projects than you can shake a stick at. Each time GRT gives me full dollar for dollar credit on the original product (even if I didn't purchase it myself) against the cost of the upgrade item. Once after posting on the invoice the credit for the original item and then posting the cost of the new upgrade the final balance was -0-.

The guys and girls at GRT just don't come any better.

When it became apparant that my BMA EFIS was not going to last, I started shopping around for a replacement. One of the things I really liked about the BMA installation was the remote keypad. However, this really limits options for EFIS suppliers. When I approached GRT about this, they said "we could probably do that".

GRT designed a custom circuit board with a DB connector on it that let me connect a standard DB cable between the display unit and their keypad, which was also outfitted with a similar custom circuit board and connector.

They were more than willing to think "outside of the box" and the extra charge for the custom service was more than reasonable. The nature of the change is such that it is very easy to add to any existing box (simply run the existing ribbon cable out to the new circuit board).

On installation, one of the display units was faulty. I sent it to them on a Monday and had a new replacement in my hands by Friday.

I now have a little over 100 hours on the new EFIS system and am very happy with how it performs and the service I have received from GRT.

Back