What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTP 59 Install

DavidFrangos

I'm New Here
I am in the process of adding a garmin gtp 59 oat probe on a composite aircraft. The g3x manual states it needs to be mounted where there is significant wire mesh in the airframe.

I planned to I stall it next to the wheel well but the structure is only composite. Does it need a metal plate? Or a ground plane? Or can I drill a hole and install it directly through the fiberglass?

Thanks!

The temperature probe should work without being grounded. But the installation manual says it should be grounded to the airframe. Perhaps for lightning protection? Maybe g3xpert will comment.

GTP 59

The GTP 59 has a TSO for normal category aircraft.
It comes with a ring terminal for grounding.
Insert the probe and ring terminal into the hole in the skin of the aircraft.
Place the washer (5) over the end of the OAT probe on the outside skin of the aircraft. Thread the nut (4) onto the OAT probe. Holding the OAT probe on the inside, tighten the nut (4) to 100 inch-lbs. 20 inch-lbs.
It will work just fine.

Good luck

GTP 59 Installation

I am in the process of adding a garmin gtp 59 oat probe on a composite aircraft. The g3x manual states it needs to be mounted where there is significant wire mesh in the airframe.

I planned to I stall it next to the wheel well but the structure is only composite. Does it need a metal plate? Or a ground plane? Or can I drill a hole and install it directly through the fiberglass?

Thanks!

Section 21.3 is the relevant section of the G3X Touch Installation Manual in this case. We advise against mounting the GTP 59 in fiberglass only, in your case you will want to make use of a metal doubler, to address lightning concerns.

Thanks,

Justin

A prominent install shop advised me to install it between the fuselage and the wing inside the fairing. And although it flies in the face of the install instructions it has worked as perfectly as they said it would, tons of air blows thru that area. YMMV.

Fitz

Hi all,

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I'm in a similar situation. I just realized that my probe isn't properly grounded - the ring terminal wire isn't even connected to anything (not sure how I missed it until now). Therefore I'm considering my options to fix it.

Do I understand correctly that this grounding is for lightning protection and shouldn't affect the probe operation under normal conditions?

There isn't easily accessible ground anywhere in the vicinity (composite airplane). Should I run a dedicated ground wire and connect it using another sandwiched ring terminal? Or maybe I could make a metal ground plane similar to how you do it for antennas? How big does it need to be?

I don't quite understand the physics behind all this so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Back