What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD-605 missing holes

1bigdog

Well Known Member
I just finished the closure of my empennage, preclosure inspection complete by MD-RA. But as I was scanning through the plans I noticed there are no holes in the elevator horns to attach the control rod. The 3 lightening holes are there, but not the small hole that should be at the end of the horn.

Was this left off as a change, maybe to match drill to the position of the rod once the fuse is complete?

Thanks for any insight.

Yep you can actually drill them now if you like although I waited until the empennage was installed on the fuselage. The instructions detail how to make a drill bushing to accurately drill the hole through both pieces. I would also suggest double checking where the hole will end up before you drill - on one side the hole was close enough to a weld that I had to slightly grind down the bolt head for it to sit flush. This is a rather common problem but you can avoid it by double checking before you drill.

Also, make sure you use the proper hardware and spacers so that the bolt at this location is torqued down, and the bushing acts is it should. Apparently some people get this part wrong.

Chris

!/4 inch hole at the top of horns mating the center bearing (rear of Horz between elevators)
# 12 hole to attach control rod at bottom end of horns inside fuselage.

Didn't see anyone mention setting up the elevators on the HS with the bearings inline and set in trail on both sides before drilling the holes......

It is funny, but all of these items were going through my head as the A-Term was answering your questions. All great information.

Jim Fogarty
RV-9A Flying

Back