What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Considering My Options

MsMiner

I'm new to VAF and am stuck in the debacle of aircraft ownership...I'm 26 and about to get my ppl (one more XC flight and then then my checkride). I'm not new to the experimental aircraft market. I helped my dad build when I was in 8th grade. Unfortunately he didn't stick to his original plan with a 9a. He went with a different kit manufacturer instead.

A majority of my time gets spent training for triathlons so I understand that I will probably have to put that on hold for 4-5 years if I decide to build. I'm at the point where I can't stop thinking about an RV. I've been actively looking/pricing out an RV-7 or RV-8. I'm 6'5" 190 and originally thought the 8 would be the plane for me. However I have a girl in the mix as well, thankfully she understands my passion for aviation, but to get her on board I think the side-by-side seating would provide me with the most viable argument for building one.

The soonest I would probably start building would be late 2017. The plan is to go to Oshkosh and sit in a few and hopefully get a ride in one. The latest I would like to start is when I'm 30. Basically I don't want to give life the opportunity to get in the way.

I would love to hear your input.

-Mark

No matter what age you think is the "perfect" age, life will always have a say in the matter and constantly get in the way.

Just get started. Move forward a little bit every day. Simple.

Says the man with the pile of sheetmetal in the garage....waiting.

When I was 26, I was too busy chasing girls to think about flying or building. Your girlfriend should get credit for that as well ;)

No need to wait for OSH to get in an RV. Just ask around and you'll find people that would be happy to give you a trial fit.

At 6'5", you should consider the "almost -14 mod by Anti-Splat.

Pick up an empennage kit and get building or look around for a kit that someone started and decided to sell. Lots of people take 10 or more years to complete their build.

Thanks for sharing the almost 14 mod. That was one of my main concerns. Do you know if anyone has modified the instrument panel at to allow for extra knee space? I was also wondering if the almost 14 mod only moves the seat back, back, or does it move the seat back and the seat pan back too?

Thanks for sharing the almost 14 mod. That was one of my main concerns. Do you know if anyone has modified the instrument panel at to allow for extra knee space? I was also wondering if the almost 14 mod only moves the seat back, back, or does it move the seat back and the seat pan back too?

I put one in mine, it only moves the seat back rest rearward, and a lot stronger, it uses stainless.

Buy the empennage kit! Dip your toe in the water, the beauty of kit built aircraft as you can build it in small affordable chunks.
I started at 25, now I'm 32, different girl, different country, but still building.
Life does and will get in the way - but I know I'll finish it.

When I was deciding whether or not to start a build I realised that there would never be the 'right' time, so I may as well get stuck in. Since then I've had 2 kids, a house build, career change and a PPL happen - but the planes's nearly done! My advice is to just get started :)

Bored At Work

My head is in the clouds today at work so naturally I go to VAF.net

Okay so it's apparent that I should start building. I guess the first step will be getting a shop. I have a one car garage as well as a mud room in my basement which will make it easy to build during the winter months. I know this is the RV-7 forum, but if I buy the empennage kit and decide last minute that I want to build an 8. Are the tail feathers the same on the 7 as they are the 8? My summer is pretty packed this year so when I start building it probably won't be till the winter months hit.

I've been looking at the numbers and it will have to be a really slow build. Buy the kit, save money while building, buy the wings, save while building...rinse and repeat.

What are the first tools I should buy? I have some plans to build a workbench and need to get an air compressor.

-Mark

I believe the empennage and wings for the -7 and -8 are the same.

Cleveland tools has tool kits you can purchase or you can put a WTB add here and see if someone else is ready to sell their tools.

7 & 8

I believe the empennage and wings for the -7 and -8 are the same.

Cleveland tools has tool kits you can purchase or you can put a WTB add here and see if someone else is ready to sell their tools.

A call to Vans will clarify but I don't think the enpennage is the same. For sure the control surfaces differ. Wings may be the same.
Build the bench. It's a good way to start a routine. You can built it without air.
Add the compressor as money allows.
Buy a basic tool kit.
Buy the enpennage.
Look for unstarted projects on VAF classifieds
Somewhere in there, find a mentor and get some quality instruction.

The empenage and wings for the 7 & 8 are very similar (and they have many parts in common) but they are still very different and require different kits for the two models.

RVbuilder2002 is correct. I have built the RV7 empennage and another local builder is working on an 8. I have had the pleasure to help him with his. If memory serves me right. The horizontal stabilizer and elevators are the same. The rudder is certainly different, which I suspect is also a different vertical stabilizer. A call into vans to confirm is the way to go.

To put it in perspective, you could start on a empennage kit and if you happen to change your mind, you could either sell the unneeded pieces on the forums, or have a nice coffee table. All you would need to do is purchase the correct rudder or stabilizer after (which Van's will do for you)

Really in the grand scheme the tail kit is not that expensive, and some builders choose to build a second tail after they have built their plane since their skills are so much more advanced than when they started.

I recommend having the RV7 vs RV8 dilemma sorted before you order the wings. :D

you n the girl

the girl in the mix will have to be bird sized for the two of you to be comfortable side by side in a 7a. if she's more your size she'll enjoy the increased head and shoulder room same as you when you're in an 8. frankly I thought the same thing in making my model choice but having flown a little bit in a local 8, I truly like his configuration better. and by the time you're done the building, even if you start right now (and you should) you'll realize the girl may not come along as much or as willingly after all - airplane building projects are long... things change, things happen. if you're going to oshkosh, see if you can catch a ride in a 14. that might be more your style

good luck with the girl

jrh

I started relatively early, too. Just start, don't wait. Save up and pay as you go. If you plan to have children, start building now so you get your foot in the door.

If you're serious about this girl, take her along with you when you go "try on" other peoples' airplanes. If she's not happy sitting tandem, for instance, she's not going to want to fly with you. I wanted a -4, but my wife gave me an ultimatum--"if you want me to fly with you, I'm going to sit next to you". Therefore, I'm building a -7. My dad faced a similar question when we were looking at building his airplane, and he went with a -6 so Mom would be comfortable with him and so I could fly it, too. Now, with a baby, I'm glad to have the side-by-side seating because hopefully it'll get him more interested in flying as he gets older.

Based on your size I don't think width will be a problem; Dad and I are about the same size (~ 6ft and a hair under 200lb) and we fit fine in the -6. My brother-in-law is your size and he fits ok width-wise, but when I took him up he couldn't get his knees under the panel (and that's with the "almost 14" mod). You'll want to find another tall person's airplane to see what they did with the seat, or look at a -10 or -14.

Last edited:
A side note, is your Girl ok with you having an affair? because you will be spending (most) of your free time with this new gal for YEARS during the build and possibly after........a lot of sad stories on this forum....well, some say they are glad it happened?

Good point Bret, I do triathlons and that takes most of my free time which if/when I start building I'll plan on not doing any races during the build time. Maybe some sorter stuff, but no Ironmans

I'm doing the best job I can with letting her know my passion for experimental aviation. She's been going along with it for now, I keep hearing the phrase "you're crazy" I keep telling her I'm completely normal. Of course the argument that comes up is "what's wrong with the cardinal that you already fly?" Do I really have to explain this?...rant over.

I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on the emp kit, but would like to. I'm currently saving up and once that hits a certain amount I'd like to start building and do it that way. Save, build, save. However the last 20% of the plane is what i'm the most concerned about. Should I be saving for an engine/CS prop before starting? My biggest fear is getting to the point of paying for the engine, instruments, and avionics and not being able to finish it. Has anyone else thought the same thing or am I just over analyzing?

I keep hearing the phrase "you're crazy" I keep telling her I'm completely normal.
It's nice that you still think that. :)
Of course the argument that comes up is "what's wrong with the cardinal that you already fly?" Do I really have to explain this?...rant over.
Every time I flew the club plane I was flying before, about halfway to wherever we were going I'd say, "You know, if we were flying an RV-7 we'd be there already." And when the club had to shell out thousands for a fairly minor repair... "You know, if it were an experimental I could have fixed it for ten bucks." And when the club had the plane down for a few days (and spent a few more AMUs) for the annual... "Wow, if that were an RV-7 the inspection would have cost couple hundred bucks for parts."
I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on the emp kit, but would like to. I'm currently saving up and once that hits a certain amount I'd like to start building and do it that way. Save, build, save. However the last 20% of the plane is what i'm the most concerned about. Should I be saving for an engine/CS prop before starting? My biggest fear is getting to the point of paying for the engine, instruments, and avionics and not being able to finish it. Has anyone else thought the same thing or am I just over analyzing?
Not over analyzing. There are ways to save money. I started out with a partly built RV-7 project at a substantial savings over new. I got a good deal on a used engine that turned out to be in great shape internally. Then I shopped around and waited for good deals on fuel injection components. If I'd paid my local shop to do a top-notch complete overhaul I'd have still had less than $20K in what would effectively have been a like-brand-new, fuel injected engine with P-mags. I knew I had a couple of years to find an engine, so I waited and shopped until the right deal came along. Patience can save you a lot of money.

Don't get carried away on avionics - if you're not going to fly transoceanic IFR, do you really need to equip for it? Watching VAF, Barnstormers and eBay can save you a ton of money on parts... or even a partially built project. For example, the empennage. You can order a new one from Van's for $1825 plus freight. Or, you can watch VAF and pick one up for typically a little over half that, anywhere from still in the box to completely built. Put some of the money you save toward a tool box kit, practice kit and an EAA sheet metal class.

Just some ideas. You can spend over $100K building a 7 or 9, but you can also do it for a lot less.

Triathon man, if you own the Cardinal sell it and start building, or look for and RV-4 and sell the Cardinal and buy the RV-4. Now you are flying and I'm sure you will not be disappointed. If you get to MN for and Ironman race, I will give you a ride in my RV-9A, KPWC. I wish I was 26 years old!

Jim Fogarty
RV-9A Flying - 10 year project
Still have my Cardinal, 1968, N2265Y
Easy Transition to the 9A

Jim, wish I could sell the Cardinal. Too bad it's in a partnership. I don't actually pay for it. My dad owns 1/3 of it and I just use that. It's nice only having to pay for gas and not rental fees, but I probably won't be living in this area in the long term either and won't have the luxury of being able to use a plane for fairly cheap.

I'm actually doing a tri (70.3) at Chisago Lake, MN July 24. Are you near that area? The GF lives in MN as well so I take regular weekend trips up there to visit.

Mark, My RV-9A is at Pine River, MN., about 130 miles from your race by car. I live at Nisswa on Lake Hubert.

Jim Fogarty
RV-9A Flying

Last edited:
Been there!

Here's my two cents on the 7 vs 8,,, Actually, it's the girlfriends two cents. I built an 8A, and we flew it far and often. But, the grass field I'm on isn't nosewheel friendly, so I sold it and bought a tailwheel 6. Well, she complains that it's cramped (and we're not big) and wishes we still had the 8... So guess who's building a tailwheel 8...

Back