What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick hop over Big Apple

Vlad

Well Known Member
Here on Atlantic Coast we don't have the luxury of Minnesota winter. But we do have some chill to enjoy. 15 minutes preheat brings oil temps from 20 to 50F thanks Tom.

A hammer needed to free ice glued chocks.

Missed a fellow VAFer by 5 or so minutes while visiting FBO. Days are short time to go flying. Whuz dat? An experimental? You cleared and proceed where you want...

These big boys probably have warm cabins.

Not in my RV. Fur coat is a must.

Quick run over East River Exclusion.

By United Nations there was a fling wing on station but I couldn't see him.

Crossed Central Park over Guggenheim and southbound over Hudson River. There is some ice there.

Sun is setting what a beautiful view.

As Pete Howell said Sanity Restored. Keep pounding those rivets...

Thanks, Vlad. We're looking forward to seeing some sunshine here this weekend. We always enjoy your scenic tours. :)

Yes Vlad, I see the Flying Kangaroo in one of these pictures: A380 I think. You are The Man for getting out and about (like Eddie Seve here in Oz)

Great shots as usual Vlad. I just happen to be in a hotel near EWR with my family having flown in one of those warm cabins.

You East Coasters are tough. I would have said my hat is off to ya BUT ITS TOO COLD! Last night when we got in, we experienced 12 degrees F for the first time in our lives!

Now it's off to explore The Big Apple by (frost bitten) foot.

Thanks again for posting those pics.

Cool..... I mean COLD!

Nice pics Vladcicle! I see you are bundled up warm......must be hard to operate PTT and other knobs with those gloves.....should get a pair of hunting gloves that allow the fingers to peep out cause they have slits in them. At least with the cold weather the pics stay fresher for longer :D

If I can clear the snow in front of the hangar from this beautiful Minnesota winter I will go get my sanity renewed. In the meantime I live your and Pete's adventures.

Thanks for the update and pictures Vlad, I was up today at Pine River MN., oil temp fairly low. Sanity back.

Jim
RV-9A

You cleared and proceed where you want...

Your controllers at the EWR Class Bravo are more flexible than the ones at ATL. Here, if we're lucky, we can get a clearance through, flying due north/south only (all 5 runways at ATL run east/west if you haven't been over it), at 5500 to 6500, across the center of the field, or cheating a little towards the landing traffic. They then hold you to that altitude until about 5 miles or more past the field. If I do that from the south to land at PDK, I wind up with an earache every time, but the view is cool.

Of course, they say ATL is busier than EWR

JFK

Love the photo over JFK.... I'd be rather intimidated flying over/around/thru that airspace!

You cleared and proceed where you want...

Your controllers at the EWR Class Bravo are more flexible than the ones at ATL. Here, if we're lucky, we can get a clearance through, flying due north/south only (all 5 runways at ATL run east/west if you haven't been over it), at 5500 to 6500, across the center of the field, or cheating a little towards the landing traffic. They then hold you to that altitude until about 5 miles or more past the field. If I do that from the south to land at PDK, I wind up with an earache every time, but the view is cool.

Of course, they say ATL is busier than EWR

Sam it's a very busy sector here I just tried to write it humorously and easy looking. They are pretty rigid here like ATL. First of all I chose convenient for them route and approached from the west very visible, on proper altitude listening to a machine gun like chatter. Couple tour helicopters, a Cirrus on a skyline route, a cop, no news guys, ATC was busy. I politely squeezed in requested my route on initial contact he coordinated with the other tower (LGA) my route was available. He asked if I am familiar where is what etc. I was. He sent me directly over rwy 4 numbers then to the Statue of Liberty. He called traffic of two big boys on final and had me to confirm both visual. He called another traffic a chopper from Kearny I never saw him he was under me 900'. There was a little swarm of fling wings on Wall Street they were on different (Hudson River CTAF 123.05) frequency which I monitored. Then Newark switched me to LaGuardia over Brooklyn Bridge and I was questioned again on intentions and given exact point where to cross Central Park. A helicopter was working by United Nations and I was negative on that traffic. I missed my assigned turn over CP by 1/2 mile and was advised to start left turn immediately. Checked out of Class Bravo over Hudson southbound everybody seemed to be happy. It's a cool route but you have to know the route, procedures while flying it and be sharp on the radio otherwise they will turn you out. Although there is an airspeed limit flying NY corridors RV moves at the limit and at tight airspaces here things are happening fast. First timer might not even have a chance to draw a camera... :)

First timer might not even have a chance to draw a camera...

All the more reason I will be yanking your chain when I get up that way, my friend. We hope to be in the area in late spring/early summer when the grandsons are playing ball, and there is no snow on the ground. Probably fly into Hackettstown if the weather is good, EWR via Delta if it's not.

BTW, great shot with the Brooklyn Bridge peeking between the buildings, and the other RV over the Hudson.

Oops, guess it's the Manhattan Bridge, not Brooklyn. Thought the towers looked a little slender.

Last edited:
Vlad wins!

Less snow, better pics.

2015 is the year we meet, Cousin Vlad. Rumor has it I might be coming to the eastern bloc of the US. I will message you.

Yeah what kind of heater is that? I use an electric heater on my piper but it takes a long time.

Peter this is a propane heater and the fan/lighter is powered by 12V via cigarette lighter adapter. Borrowed from a fellow RV9A builder three years ago. Great preheater!
Will check the brand tomorrow if interested.

Back