What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight

frankh

Well Known Member
RV7a N484H with a Sam James cowl and a nice paint job (even if I do say so myself) ,ade the maiden voyage this morning.

Flight was completly uneventful, just as I'd hoped.

I would post a pic but don't ask me how to do it...Cut and paste is the limit of what I know how...:)

Frank

frankh said:
RV7a N484H with a Sam James cowl and a nice paint job (even if I do say so myself) ,ade the maiden voyage this morning.

Flight was completly uneventful, just as I'd hoped.

I would post a pic but don't ask me how to do it...Cut and paste is the limit of what I know how...:)

Frank

Ah, come on, all that braggin and nothing to back it with :)...

Just go slow and follow these instructions.... Or go to the "test area" and try it there first, then come back and post us a picture!

http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/ImagesInForums/images.htm

I found 'em over at Van's...

Hinde1_lg.jpg

Hinde2_lg.jpg

Congrats!!! :D

Hey Frank:

Congrats! You've got a beautiful aircraft. What type of paint did you use?

Congrats Frank! That is one nice looking RV.

Welcome to the 'flying' column!!!!!

Best,
Doug

House paint!

I put it on with a roller!...nah not really, I always wanted to try to convince somebody of that...:)

Its Valspar ployeurathane Omega 2k...Its a lot less toxic than I was lead to believe...I built myself a fresh air breathing system but junked it in favour of a pesticide respirator which worked just fine...I don't drool out the corners of my mouth too much...:)

The only time in affected me was when I walked back into the shop (after spraying) without a respirator...STUPID!...it hit me like a ton of bricks...Instant headache....Apart from that it was fun to paint.

I used a HF gravity gun for the primer and HF HVLP guns (I used the touch up gun and the full sized 20ounce gun) for the top coats. Two coats on the top surfaces, one coat for the undersides.

Never painted before, came out great.

The SJ cowl comes with a plenum...Highest CHT's I saw was 396 in climb on a new engine, but it dropped to 300 or so after climbing.

Frank

frankh said:
I put it on with a roller!...nah not really, I always wanted to try to convince somebody of that...:)
Frank
HA!! This RV-3 WAS painted with a roller, using HOUSE PAINT!! Rumor was he painted it for $86!!

main.php

Nice!!

Sure is sharp. It must be fun to finally think about flying instead of building.

Kind of

This happened on my Zenair I built a few years ago so I was surprised that it hit me again...i.e, all you think about is build, build,build and then prep for the inspection and then you get a pink slip and your stunned that you now have permission to fly it......I felt like I wanted to throw up..Literally.

Even taxiing out I' like.."What on EARTH do you think your doing?"

Then you nail the throttle and stomped big bootfuld of right rudder and then..."now how do i get this thing down?"

Weired

Frank

Even taxiing out I' like.."What on EARTH do you think your doing?"

Then you nail the throttle and stomped big bootfuld of right rudder and then..."now how do i get this thing down?"

Frank, that's an awesome description. I'll be laughing all night. Congrats!

-Rick

Felicitation

I share your joy....congrats on finishing your plane.

how did it fly ....flies hands off?

Pete

Great Job

Great looking plane! Great job and congrats!

But man do you need to clean up that hangar! :eek:

how did it fly ....flies hands off?

Pete[/QUOTE]

Yes completely hands off. Funny I never even thought about it until you asked. Must be rigged pretty evenly I guess.

One surprise (to me at least) was the wide range of elevator trim required. My old Zodiac did not have flaps so the trim change to set up for landing was basically zero....I forgot to reset the trim after landing yesterday...My arms must have looked like "Arnohld's" doing a bench press on takeoff...:)

Back