What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane power

texdog

Well Known Member
Im changing from a Suzuki alternator to a Plane Power, what wiring changes do I have to make? I have Grand Rapids engine and flight MFD's.
Thanks!

Internal or external

You don't say if the Suzuki is externally regulated or which PP alt you are using. But assuming the Suzuki is internal as well as the Plane power, it should be mostly a mechanical install. The PP exp internally regulated alternator will require only the "B" lead to the switched side of the master relay (with a current limiter in line) and a protected 5 amp field wire that you can control with a switch or pull able breaker. There is provision for a low volt light, but the the GRT equipment you really don't need another alarm.
They wiring schematic is on the web site.
Tim

Tim, Van's plan states, you don't need the white wire from the alternator only the red. What do most people do with the white wire with the enternal regulator from Plane Power? Also, if I have this correct, the red wire goes to the alternator switch that is on a 5 amp fuse. Thanks for your help.

Jim

So the red wire is the field connection, and the white wire is the low-voltage indicator connection, right?

Back