What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dang! Is this just me????

comfortcat

Well Known Member
I thought I was CAREFULLY reading the plans for the installation of the electric fuel pump. I measured twice, positioned carefully, tested stuff, and all was well. UNTIL I went to install the motor mount!

DANG! The motor mount hits the plate nut for the fuel pump!

2qscxgg.jpg

Am I the only guy this happened to?

We fixed the problem, but when I need to change the fuel pump, it will be a two man operation. *DANG*

I also noticed that the measurements for the throttle cable, mixture cable and carb heat cable are not very accurate. The mixture cable can not go through the middle of the fuel pump!

*sigh* I have to admit that almost ALWAYS a mistake like this is usually my fault.

CC

I can tell you there are some things about my RV-8 that seemed simple when built that now make some tasks a real challenge. For example, the grounding post in the engine compartment - it is a bolt on the cold side of the firewall and a nut on the hot side. I'm sure it was easy before the front baggage compartment was finished !

Here is the "one man" trick for these cases - attach a set of vice grips on the bolt and brace it against whatever will work and then move to the nut side to loosen. Don't use a pair of vice grips you'll need anytime all because you will want to leave them in place until the whole job is done.

IIRC, the plans call for grinding down that platenut before riveting it in place.

Goodness, you wouldn't want to mess around and put too long of a bolt or screw in there! I could see a second owner/non-builder doing something like that by accident. That long bolt or screw would be digging right into the motor mount.

Goodness, you wouldn't want to mess around and put too long of a bolt or screw in there! I could see a second owner/non-builder doing something like that by accident. That long bolt or screw would be digging right into the motor mount.

I agree. It seemed a little hokey at the time, but certainly not the only place on the airplane where this is done. Be sure to tripple check the plans on the last screw, aft/topside, attaching the wing root fairing to the wing.

Very common issue ....

... one of those where we ALL wish Vans would add a sentence or two to the instructions. When I was locating and affixing all that hdwe to the bare firewall, I NEVER thought about interference with the engine mount.

Check carefully on firewall cable penetration locations before you cut any holes. In fact, check past posts here all you can beforehand. The locations shown on the drawings will not work for all combinations of engines, FI vs carb, vertical vs horizontal induction, etc. Lotsa head scratching involved. :)

Happens to us all

Seems Murphy's law is the only true internationally applied law! It occurs in all time zones and in every country on the planet. Strangely it often, and consistently occurs at my place.

So no, you are not the only one.

Jim

Back