What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Android aviation navigation Apps?

No problem with the internal GPS in the EEpad anywhere in the plane.

Be careful which EEpad you get. The new, just released, Quad Core Asus Transformer Prime has such a poor GPS receiver that they have removed the GPS from their spec sheet. Great tablet with Ice Cream Sandwich but the GPS won't hold a lock standing out in the back yard. This tablet isn't even available in the stores yet and they have announced a new model to correct the WiFi and GPS issues. I have one and love it but I am really disappointed that I will have to use a Bluetooth GPS receiver with it.

FlightIntel for Pilots

Just found this app on the android market.. It has airport info and weather. It's free and has lots of great features..

Be careful which EEpad you get. The new, just released, Quad Core Asus Transformer Prime has such a poor GPS receiver that they have removed the GPS from their spec sheet. Great tablet with Ice Cream Sandwich but the GPS won't hold a lock standing out in the back yard. This tablet isn't even available in the stores yet and they have announced a new model to correct the WiFi and GPS issues. I have one and love it but I am really disappointed that I will have to use a Bluetooth GPS receiver with it.

After a few flights I found the same problem with the original pad. Purchased a Bluetooth GPS to stick up on the dash and it works great!

i can recommend "pocketfms", especially for non-u.s. areas like europe, canada, australia etc...
it's multiplatform, with a desktop and an android/iphone/ipad version.

also, should you decide to purchase a license after the trial, the same database/regular updates can be used for in the dynon skyview & mgl efis!
and i hear more well known efis suppliers are interested in their database as well ;-)

i'm not directly affiliated other than using their windows desktop version as my main moving map in the rv, and also maintaining the airspace database for switzerland.

rgds,
bernie

Avilution

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums. I'm a student pilot, about to get my PPL, and I gave Avilution Maps a try, and I must say, I'm really impressed, the application is just awesome. (PD: It's an app for Android devices, I used the new Nexus 7 tablet, and the performance was stunning. Here's a link of my review :) hope it helps, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...id-devices-must-see-avilution-app-review.html

PS: For those that didn't know, now there is a 30 day free trial on Avilution, so you guys can give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Have a good day.

Last edited:
Anybody have a Google Nexus 7 yet? Anyone tried it in the cockpit? I've been using Google Pilot (1 month demo) on my phone and have been liking it. I have a rooted/rom'd nook color, but the GPS solution for this isn't great and the sunlight readability is TERRIBLE. If the Nexus is better I'd be willing to give that a try and return my nook to being a....nook....

Anybody have a Google Nexus 7 yet? Anyone tried it in the cockpit? I've been using Google Pilot (1 month demo) on my phone and have been liking it. I have a rooted/rom'd nook color, but the GPS solution for this isn't great and the sunlight readability is TERRIBLE. If the Nexus is better I'd be willing to give that a try and return my nook to being a....nook....

I have a N7 and like it quite a bit. I have not, however, tried it in the cockpit. It is an IPS panel, like the iPad. Great viewing angles. It would definitely be a lot better than the Nook Color! Jelly Bean is fantastic, too.

--Bill

Are you using the Garmin Pilot demo (i.e. not Google Pilot)? I've not used the Google Nexus 7, but I am using a Google Nexus phone (4.65" screen) in the airplane. I've used all the various Android Applications and it is fantastic. On long Cross-Country flights I use a 10.1" Tablet. I've settled on Avilution AviationMap and AnyWhereMap Freedom. Although the Garmin Pilot app with ADS/B looks real interesting!

==
Michael

Yeah, on a droiz razr max. It's not bad, the flight planning is a pain, the weather is awesome though. It's also REALLY nice and smooth, where alluviton and Naviator can be a but unprofessional looking at times.

Are you using the Garmin Pilot demo (i.e. not Google Pilot)? I've not used the Google Nexus 7, but I am using a Google Nexus phone (4.65" screen) in the airplane. I've used all the various Android Applications and it is fantastic. On long Cross-Country flights I use a 10.1" Tablet. I've settled on Avilution AviationMap and AnyWhereMap Freedom. Although the Garmin Pilot app with ADS/B looks real interesting!

==
Michael

Interesting thread

Hello group:
I have just begun building a Rans S-19. Sorry, I love the Vans line, but this kit was basically given to me. My son's first flight was in an RV-4 with the Young Eagles and I love that aircraft.
I am looking to use my tablet in the aircraft for nav functions. A buddy and I are now US distributors for a line of high performance Android Tablets that have performed well and are reasonably priced. I know that some of the handheld GPS units have weather available on them. Does anybody know of a software/plug-in receiver so that one might do the same with a tablet?
I am thinking about building a usb plug-in radar system. Haven't gone very far with it yet, but it might be worth doing. Not sure of whether there is interest.
ncsailor62 at gmail is where I may be reached.
Thank you

Yeah, on a droiz razr max. It's not bad, the flight planning is a pain, the weather is awesome though. It's also REALLY nice and smooth, where alluviton and Naviator can be a but unprofessional looking at times.

So has anyone tried a nexus 7 in a bubble canopy yet?

So has anyone tried a nexus 7 in a bubble canopy yet?
I took my wife's Nexus 7 flying a while ago to see how it was. I didn't have any aviation apps, so I didn't test the GPS. But I found the screen to be quite readable. Easily an order of magnitude better than my Garmin Aera.

I just bought a Nexus 4 phone for myself, and will be testing it out on my next flight... I bought Air Navigation Pro for it, as I have it on my iPad and it works great. So far, it's the only app i've found with free maps that are useful for VFR flight in Canada.

I took my wife's Nexus 7 flying a while ago to see how it was. I didn't have any aviation apps, so I didn't test the GPS. But I found the screen to be quite readable. Easily an order of magnitude better than my Garmin Aera.

I just bought a Nexus 4 phone for myself, and will be testing it out on my next flight... I bought Air Navigation Pro for it, as I have it on my iPad and it works great. So far, it's the only app i've found with free maps that are useful for VFR flight in Canada.

If you bought Air Nav Pro for you Nex4, you can also use it on your wife's Nex7. All you need to do is enable Multi-user mode. On the Nex7, go into Settings, and then select user. You'll see a Add New User button. Once you go through that process, you will be logged into your account and can install your already purchased Air Nav Pro app on the Nex7 as well.

--Bill

If you bought Air Nav Pro for you Nex4, you can also use it on your wife's Nex7. All you need to do is enable Multi-user mode. On the Nex7, go into Settings, and then select user. You'll see a Add New User button. Once you go through that process, you will be logged into your account and can install your already purchased Air Nav Pro app on the Nex7 as well.

Bill: Thank you! I've been wondering this but haven't enabled multi-user yet. I definitely will give it a shot.

Bill: Thank you! I've been wondering this but haven't enabled multi-user yet. I definitely will give it a shot.

Update: It didn't work. AirNavPro doesn't support Multi-User mode... Yet:

AirNavPro Support said:
Hello Rob,

Thank you for your interest in Air Navigation Pro.

For the moment, it is not possible to use the application with the multi-user mode. However, it will possible with the next Version we planed to release this week or the next.

Best regards,

C?line Weiss for Xample LLC

How much would a matte screen protector help? In other words, is it a brightness issue, or a glare issue?

edit: like this.. http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Anti-Glare-Screen-Protector-Shield/dp/B008MP8C5A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358262975&sr=8-2&keywords=nexus+7+matte+screen

Personally, I think the matte screen on my Aera 500 is half of the problem with it's visibility. I find the iPhone, iPad, and Nexus 7 to be perfectly readable in the cockpit, when positioned such that the sun can't reflect right off them into your face. I'd really like a mount that would let me pivot the display left/right/up/down by ~5-10 degrees, I think that would probably be enough to get the Nexus 7 installed instead of my Aera.

Personally, I think the matte screen on my Aera 500 is half of the problem with it's visibility. I find the iPhone, iPad, and Nexus 7 to be perfectly readable in the cockpit, when positioned such that the sun can't reflect right off them into your face. I'd really like a mount that would let me pivot the display left/right/up/down by ~5-10 degrees, I think that would probably be enough to get the Nexus 7 installed instead of my Aera.

Yeah. I bought a Nexus 7 about a week ago and ordered matte screen covers. When they came in, it was a bright sunny day, so I cleaned the screen and took it outside with my back to the sun. Not bad at all as long as the glare wasn't directly on the screen. Put the matte screen cover on, went back out and it was AWFUL.....

Just found this app on the android market.. It has airport info and weather. It's free and has lots of great features..

I know this is an old post but.... I tried Flight Intel and found it often did not list the AWOS, which is the first thing I look for when approaching an airport, or flight planning to one. When I asked Nadeem or Husein or what ever about it he got kinda pissy so I deleted it and moved on. AOPA airports is still the best I know of and is not a member-only product, at least so far......

Yeah. I bought a Nexus 7 about a week ago and ordered matte screen covers. When they came in, it was a bright sunny day, so I cleaned the screen and took it outside with my back to the sun. Not bad at all as long as the glare wasn't directly on the screen. Put the matte screen cover on, went back out and it was AWFUL.....
I discovered a few years back when working on sunlight readable dead-front indicators that ANY air between the layers leads to silvering and that a matte front surface makes things generally worse in direct sunlight. Real sunlight readable displays usually utilize a quarter-wave coating, which is not going to come on a sheet of plastic.

FYI to anyone following this thread... AirNavPro just released an update for the Android version today.

After 25 years of using electronics outdoors, I'm still of the opinion that a glossy screen is best for readability. No screen protectors on any of my devices now, and they are viewable over larger angles and in more lighting conditions. It is, however, sometimes necessary to tilt the screen to avoid a direct glare. Usually that's not a problem.

Android Flight Planning / Maps application

I'm following this thread and still looking for foreflight or wing-x application on the Android. I'm searching. I'm looking at Jeppesen's JeppFliteDeck because I already get my paper charts from Jeppesen.

What application are you all finding useful on the Android that is similar to Foreflight?

thanks

Avilution AviationMaps. http://www.avilution.com. Available on the Google Play store for a full annual subscription. Or you can go month-to-month if you download directly from the website. They just added georef'd plates, which will be in the next map cycle.

flight planning...Canada?

a question, perhaps for Rob Prior.....any of these apps helpful for flight planning...even if just to store all the data, for easy reference when you are on the phone filing, or at the flying club computer?

a question, perhaps for Rob Prior.....any of these apps helpful for flight planning...even if just to store all the data, for easy reference when you are on the phone filing, or at the flying club computer?

The best app I had for flight planning was CoPilot by Laurie Davis. It was originally written for the Palm OS, then ported to iOS. I still hope that one day he will port it to Android, because it was really ideal. You could set up your flight plan, it would give you your weight and balance, and your flight plan in Canadian, US, or ICAO formats as you desired.

Now, I just use AirNavPro, and sometimes GoVFR.com. A free account on GoVFR.com will let you set up your flight plan from your desktop, save it, and then you can open AirNavPro and download it directly to the app. I just found out about GoVFR so I don't know if it has handy output for flight planning.

Here in Canada, I have a master flight plan filed with flight service, so when I need to file all I have to do is give them my ident, tell them i'm filing a plan, then give them my route, people on board, fuel, and eta. No need for spelling out the equipment, emergency contact, etc. as it's all pre-filed.

Is anyone running any of the Android navigators on a Blackberry 10 device? I just got a Passport and the screen is impressive - 4.5" square (just a teeny bit narrower than my KMD 150 but just as deep) and very bright; appears to be very visible in the cockpit on a bright day. Plus, it runs Android apps, as do all Blackberry 10 devices. The catch is that the supported market for android apps for Blackberry is Amazon, and none of the major navigators are available through them. Google Play is not supported, and that's where they all seem to reside. Anyone found a solution to this problem? I really think this device could be a great platform in the cockpit if I can just get Naviator or AirNav loaded on it.

Avare has recently added georef'd approach plates to the already cool stuff like automatic GeoRef airport diagram on touchdown.

Current stuff includes:

Sectionals
WACs
TACs
Low Alt
Hi Alt
A/FD (FAA A/FD image direct from book plus one that is retyped in english)
GeoRef Plates & Diagrams
Terrain
Heli
Selectable database (meaning you select the specific charts you want)
One button chart update for your list of charts.

Internet weather overlay including airmets and sigmets
ADS-B display
Editable Flight plans
Distance rings
Timer rings
Automatic timer start at FAF.
TFR Display
Runway extensions
Draw (make notes with finger)
Time, bearing and distance to any finger point from current position.

Last edited:
Time, bearing and distance to any finger point from current position.

Avare has a lot of features, but I find it very difficult to do the most basic things, such as creating a flight plan. Usually I don't know all the waypoints I want when I start a flight plan, so I'll enter in just the departure and destination airports. Then I go to the map screen and "rubberband" the magenta line over the VORs, airports and intersections I want to use as intermediate waypoints. When I do this in Avare it makes every new waypoint a GPS coordinate, it doersn't recognize that these are actual navaids. So when I go to my flight plan the only waypoint names are the departure and destination, and a bunch of gps coordinates on between. Is there a better way to populate and edit a flight plan in Avare?

I'm not bashing it because for a free app it really is amazing how much it can do. However, for me, I'd rather pay the equivalent of a few gallons of 100LL and have something that has a friendlier user interface.

Last I checked, Avare doesn't have Canadian maps either, so it's a non-starter if you're north of the border.

Avare has a lot of features, but I find it very difficult to do the most basic things, such as creating a flight plan. Usually I don't know all the waypoints I want when I start a flight plan, so I'll enter in just the departure and destination airports. Then I go to the map screen and "rubberband" the magenta line over the VORs, airports and intersections I want to use as intermediate waypoints. When I do this in Avare it makes every new waypoint a GPS coordinate, it doersn't recognize that these are actual navaids. So when I go to my flight plan the only waypoint names are the departure and destination, and a bunch of gps coordinates on between. Is there a better way to populate and edit a flight plan in Avare?

I'm not bashing it because for a free app it really is amazing how much it can do. However, for me, I'd rather pay the equivalent of a few gallons of 100LL and have something that has a friendlier user interface.

Flight plan operation is not well documented but it is easy if you discover the right technique. Its not designed to work the way you are trying to use it. Start a plan with departure and destination. I use the "find" page, hold my finger on the desired airport until the "add to plan" flag pops up. You may be using that already. Look at the line and decide on intermediate points. Do not try to rubber band the path. Put finger on point you want to add. Waypoint page will pop with the airport or navaid identified at the top and option to add to plan. Trying to rubber band will always give a GPS point in space. Not what you want, as you said. Instead, point directly onto airport or navaid. If by chance you don't quite hit the navaid/airport and it gives a GPS position, hit your back button and try again. The selection accuracy is no different than rubber banding on other applications. Sometimes you miss. Once you get the correct point hit the add to plan flag and it will add the point into the correct spot in the plan. If it does not, it is easy to drag the points around on the plan page.

Last edited:
Last I checked, Avare doesn't have Canadian maps either, so it's a non-starter if you're north of the border.

You are right. It was talked about for some time on the avare forum but I do not remember exactly what governmental or technical hurdle is preventing it. Canadian topo maps were added a while back.

Last edited:
I have done a few short flights with Naviator on my Blackberry Passport and like it quite a bit so far. The base map and terrain map (including the ability to use a 3D synvis mode) is available with a one time payment of about $20. Full US charts are available for a yearly subscription, but the program is fully usable without. I really like the ease of use of features like the Altitude Optimizer - enter your flight plan start and end points and it automatically brings up a table showing comparative head/tail winds over the full range of altitudes you would be interested in. Dead easy and very fast.

The other thing I wanted to mention is how pleased I am with the Passport; the screen is huge for a phone, and is actually significantly brighter than my KMD 150 (and about the same size). I flew today with the phone on a suction mounted RAM mount above the glare shield, on a very bright day with a lot of glare, and screen viewability was excellent throughout the flight. As noted above, it was brighter and easier to view than my KMD 150, which was right below it. Not a bad combination overall, and considering that my total investment is about 20 bucks on top of the phone that I had purchased anyway, it's a pretty cheap backup.

Back